Sign in with
Your question

BSOD, freezing with 4 gb (no problems with 2)

Last response: in Memory
April 30, 2010 9:11:32 PM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my memory. The following are my specs:

PSU: Antec EA650
CPU: i5-750
GPU: PowerColor 1GB 4850 CF
Mem: GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (2x2GB)
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 P55 RT

My computer, within seconds to minutes upon Windows booting up, either freezes up or I get BSOD with atikmpag.sys in the error report (if I use both sticks).

I can use safe mode indefinitely with both sticks installed. I can also use normal mode indefinitely, but only if I uninstall the ATI drivers (have no idea what that's about). I ran memtest86+ with both installed and there were no errors. I also changed the two sticks to make sure one wasn't faulty. Nada. I changed the qpi voltage from 1.1 to 1.25 and even changed system performance from turbo to normal. Neither of these things had any effect. The only thing that fixes these problems is if I take out one of the sticks. What's going on? I'm at a loss. I need some help.

Thanks!

More about : bsod freezing problems

a b } Memory
April 30, 2010 9:31:15 PM

1cesc said:
I can also use normal mode indefinitely, but only if I uninstall the ATI drivers (have no idea what that's about).

Does that mean you can use normal mode with both RAM modules if you uninstall ATI drivers?

If so, download every driver you can find for that card, and then one by one try each driver to see if one of them will allow you to operate w/o crashing.
m
l
April 30, 2010 9:36:26 PM

T_T said:
Does that mean you can use normal mode with both RAM modules if you uninstall ATI drivers?

If so, download every driver you can find for that card, and then one by one try each driver to see if one of them will allow you to operate w/o crashing.

I tried many different driver versions. I even installed windows XP 64 bit and used XP drivers to make sure it wasn't an issue with the vista/7 drivers but in every case I got BSODs or freezing.
m
l
April 30, 2010 11:39:57 PM

This issue has been resolved. It was actually a faulty mobo. Getting it RMA'd. Thanks to T_T for his response.
m
l
Related resources
!