Sign in with
Your question

New build weird issues

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2009 1:03:05 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post here on Tom's Hardware, and I have a issue I really need some help with. I recently built a computer similar to a friends build his spec's are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Processor ADX6000IAA6CZ - 3.0GHz, 1MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB, Windsor, Dual-Core, Socket AM2, Processor
PSU ( Came in his case, something like a 750watt )
EVGA GTX 260
OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
Asus M2N-SLI
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Now my specs are as follow's

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Processor - 2.70GHz, Socket AM2, 1MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB, Brisbane, Dual-Core
BFG GTX 260 OC Maxcore 55
OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 140mm Fan, SLI-Ready, SATA-Ready, 80Plus
Asus M2N-SLI
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

So now here is my issue, Since I built the computer for gaming back in November of 08, I have had weird graphics "glitches", so I figured it was the video card ( EVGA 9600 GSO ( Temp Card ) so I took it back to the store and traded it in for a XFX 9800 gt, I had the same issue, took that one back to the store grabbed another XFX 9800 gt... Same issue, so this time I got the BFG GTX 260 OC Maxcore 55 ( 896mb ), still had the same issue, so I talked to a friend of mine and he told me that my mother board has an AI overclocking feature on it and to turn it off and I did. So I changed out the HDD to a Seagate 500gb sata, RMA'ed the mobo to Asus ( they sent it back after 2 1/2 weeks and told me nothing was wrong with it ) changed out the PSU from a Power Up 450-Watt ATX SATA-Ready PCI-E-Ready24-Pin, to the PSU in my spec's, ran Memtest on my RAM the test came back with no error's. The only thing left to replace is the CPU which if I replace it I am replacing the motherboard as well. I am attaching a pic of one of the issues I am having and another of another video issue that I have had as well. The 1st screen shot is of a new issue and the 2nd is of an older issue. Like I said I have changed video cards 4 times. And all Temps are normal between 30 degrees Celcius Idle and 55-60 under full load gaming.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/Fiks1337/WTF.jp...

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/Fiks1337/badgpu...

More about : build weird issues

November 2, 2009 7:17:43 PM

Seriously no one here can give any thoughts or advice?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2009 8:08:28 PM

You gave a story and didnt ask anything. What is your question?

You only gave it 6 hours. Most people only check forums once per day.

I have had weird graphics "glitches" said:
I have had weird graphics "glitches"

is not enough info for anyone to diagnose a problem. How about specifics about what the glitches are and when they happen for a start.
Related resources
November 2, 2009 8:53:05 PM

From your story, it seems like you've already replaced nearly every piece of hardware trying to troubleshoot. Perhaps it's not a hardware issue?

You never mentioned what you did on the software side to troubleshoot. Specifically if you installed/updated your video card drivers. More importantly however, what did you do regarding Windows? I have a hunch that you didn't reinstall (new, clean install) Windows during your troubleshooting.

You should always do a clean install of Windows when you replace hardware to avoid driver issues and stability problems. This could be the cause of all your problems.

Let me know whether or not this was the problem. Good luck.
November 2, 2009 10:57:50 PM

Sorry I didn't realise my question was vague, I have a fresh install of windows 7 and all drivers are up to date. This can not be a software issue since everything has been updated and replaced ( minus the CPU and Motherboard ). When I went from XP to 7 I did a fresh format, so everything is a fresh install. I have underclocked my GPU from factory OC, no joy. I have also made sure my HDD has been defragged, like I said all drivers have been updated. So in other words what could be wrong here?
November 2, 2009 11:37:34 PM

I have occasionally heard of newest driver issues, perhaps try the video card driver that was released just prior to the newest one?
November 3, 2009 12:54:40 AM

See the thing is though is that this has been happening since November of 08 when I built the computer so it cant be the drivers.
November 3, 2009 1:12:59 AM

PolygonNinja said:
See the thing is though is that this has been happening since November of 08 when I built the computer so it cant be the drivers.

so you possibly had the oldest and the newest drivers in without even meaning to, so you know they are either the cause or not the cause....

All I was saying was that I have talked to a couple friends who rolled back one driver version and the computer was happy.....
How many driver versions have you seen from November til now?

You want another answer?
As was said already....looks like you have replaced almost all hardware, it's not an obvious problem so it's likely software related.
November 3, 2009 1:41:42 PM

Since November of last year I have updated my drivers every time a new set came out, so there fore like I said it can't possibly be the drivers. I understand your friends have roll'ed back they're drivers but thats not going to help me because every driver I have used since November 08 has done it with 4 different cards, and I used Drive sweeper to uninstall the old ones before a new installation. I talked to a friend of mine who is an expert in this field and hes stumped as well. So the only thing I can think of is my Proc might be a little slow for my card or my PCI-E slot might have an issue that Asus did not catch when I RMA'ed the board ( even though I tols them it might be ). Also this has happend over 3 OS's, XP wich every time I installed a game and started messing around with the option's for video ( Hight'en the resolution or turing off the AA ect ) the game would do what the 2nd screen shot shows ( Guild Wars screen ) Vista 64bit as well, and now 7 do'ing randomly what both screens show? That makes no since, why would drivers for almost a year and 3 Operating systems do the same thing? I have been building computers for 15 years and never untill this new build experienced anything like this and nither has my friend. So I turned to Toms Hardware boards to maybe get some type of answer. I am close to reformatting just to see if that might fix it but 3 reformats across 3 OS's and still the same issue? somthing's not right. Belive me I appreciate the help I am getting.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2009 4:26:59 PM

Have you tried a different monitor? That looks similar to what can happen if one of the 15 wires in a VGA cable is broken.
November 3, 2009 4:54:58 PM

I guess you have to go down to basics of what is left.....
try card in another PC with more powerful CPU
but dndhatcher could be on to something,
cable!
check the pins and connections on both ends!!!
also check the connection on the monitor....
November 5, 2009 2:28:28 AM

Thanks for all the help guys but after doing some extencive testing I have found out that it is the PCI-E slot causing all the issues. Like I said it it was not the drivers/Card. Apparently Asus did not check the PCI-E slot like I asked them to do, plus I found out Asus has been having issues with they're PCI-E slots with graphics. I will be replacing my Mobo/CPU anyway so, problem solved.
!