Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 920 vs i5 750 vs i7 860 Poll

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
  • Intel i5
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share

Which is better in terms of CPU raw performance i7 920 vs i5 750 vs i7 860

Total: 169 votes (82 blank votes)

  • i7 920
  • 43 %
  • i5 750
  • 15 %
  • i7 860
  • 30 %
  • i7 860 and i7 920 similar
  • 14 %
November 2, 2009 1:07:31 AM

Don't hate, I'm just bored.

Don't be bias when answering

This poll is comparing CPU raw performance, Turbo Mode is not considered in this case, since manual overclock overrides this.

Factors that need to be considered as overclocking..QPI..PCIE on die.....etc..

More about : 920 750 860 poll

November 2, 2009 1:16:10 AM

My reasoning - I voted for the 860 ;) 
1. 860's frequency is higher
2. 860's turbo mode is far greater
3. 860's TDP is far lower
4. 860's intel specified supported ram frequency is higher
5. 860's overall price is far lower
6. Initial very high price of gulftown cpus
7. Lack of compelling need for 16x/16x crossfire
8. Limited benefit of triple channel ram
November 2, 2009 1:18:26 AM

Too bad, i7 920 beats i7 860 overall.

Lol, look at the views of this thread :D 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 2, 2009 1:29:25 AM

to bad an i7 920 setup cost a lot more.
November 2, 2009 2:06:28 AM

snakej said:
to bad an i7 920 setup cost a lot more.


Too bad money buys more performance.
"a lot more" you mean by 100-200? that's not that much.
the poll is just comparing cpu wise not the overall system..
November 2, 2009 2:17:32 AM

Dunno which is "better" but for my new build I will be doing a 920 based system and for an upgrade build, I will be doing a 750 based build
November 2, 2009 2:17:56 AM

overshocks said:
The poll is just comparing cpu wise not the overall system..

Oh, in that case there isn't even any competition - the three advantages 1366 has are not related to the CPU itself. Triple channel RAM, full bandwidth Crossfire cupport, and future support for gulftown CPUs. 860 hands down.
November 2, 2009 2:19:14 AM

jbakerlent said:
Oh, in that case there isn't even any competition - the three advantages 1366 has are not related to the CPU itself. Triple channel RAM, full bandwidth Crossfire cupport, and future support for gulftown CPUs. 860 hands down.


You forgot about QPI
The poll is comparing raw performance, look at the question above.
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2009 3:19:53 AM

If you talk about Raw power.. I vote the i7 920. It runs at 2.66Ghz and beats all AM3's and pretty much matches the newer higher clocked i7 860. You add in the more stable MOBO, much better Crossfire/SLI support and upgrade path, it still makes the i7 920 the "King of CPU's", until it is replaced by the faster same priced i7 930 next year and any i9. :D 
November 2, 2009 3:25:40 AM

tecmo34 said:
If you talk about Raw power.. I vote the i7 920. It runs at 2.66Ghz and beats all AM3's and pretty much matches the newer higher clocked i7 860. You add in the more stable MOBO, much better Crossfire/SLI support and upgrade path, it still makes the i7 920 the "King of CPU's", until it is replaced by the faster same priced i7 930 next year and any i9. :D 


^nice read, agree.
November 2, 2009 3:32:31 AM

tecmo34 said:
You add in the more stable MOBO, much better Crossfire/SLI support and upgrade path, it still makes the i7 920 the "King of CPU's", until it is replaced by the faster same priced i7 930 next year and any i9. :D 


Those are great points, but I thought that we were just considering the CPU itself, everything else aside?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=364...
November 2, 2009 10:55:17 AM

I enjoy reading how people think i7 860 builds are SOOOO much cheaper then i7 920 builds....

If you are going on the cheap, then the 750 is much cheaper - but:

860 costs more by itself
The 920 MoBos are only more if you go to the 200+ route
6GBs of RAM is less then 8GBs of RAM - unless you go with 4GB, which I am sorry is antiquated for a new build right now.

What is the point of going x64 OS's, if you are going to stick with 4gigs of RAM?

Sure if you only run 1 game and that is it at a time (no browsing, voice chat, etc) then 4 is fine, but honestly you are locking yourself in on a new build.

November 2, 2009 11:01:36 AM

Quote:
I'm not hating but, that's a load of... How can you not consider turbo boost? You're making a completely biased poll by doing that. It's like saying you can't compare a 965 and a 750 unless you overclock the 965 because the 750 turbo which is an unfair advantage! If it's built into the processor, it counts when comparing it to other processors! Also, when you say "you're forgetting about QPI" what exactly do you mean? Do you know anything about DMI?


QPI and DMI are different. Buddy you need to research.
November 2, 2009 11:03:17 AM

Quote:
Probably the dumbest thread I've ever seen on Tom's

i7 860 is a better chip

i7 920 has a better platform


I could say the same to you, but I'm not going to.

Please provide evidence 860>920 if you say so, no evidence is bunk.
November 2, 2009 11:04:44 AM

Quote:
FAIL!

FAIL!!

FAIL!!!


Oh really? What makes you? A person that comes in and types in caps, very inappropriate.
This is just a poll, why you even hating?
November 2, 2009 11:09:04 AM

Quote:
It's not an easy choice heh!

The Bloomfield 920 has been out longer than I realised and is a popular choice now, the boards that support have been fine tuned through BIOS revisions and you have a wealth of 3rd party heatsinks to choose from.

The Lynnfield 860 has been on sale like a week, alot of people scoff it or see it as a bad choice because the 920 can be had for less.

However I guess it depends if you wanna overclock or not and how you use your machine, the Lynnfield 860 is IMHO the most advanced mainstream processor in the world and has a number of benefits not found on ye old Bloomfield (joking heh, it's not that old!), like improved memory support, better Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, more power efficient etc

From early reviews the Lynnfield i860 seems to be overclocking very well too!

When comparing Bloomfield vs Lynnfield the former only really offers a few extras:
Tri-Channel instead of Dual Channel
QPI instead of DMI
Full x16/x16 PCI-E 2.0 Crossfire/SLI Support (vs 8x/8x)
Tri-Channel Memory looks good on paper, however from everything I've read it's not making hardly any difference in the Real world? I guess it depends how you use your PC

QPI has more bandwidth than DMI but again from what I've read the extra QPI bandwidth comes into its own when you have Multi Chip set-ups (i.e two separate processors both plugged into same board), also bare in mind some of this QPI bandwidth is being used up on the PCI-E 2.0 graphics (Lynnfield has built in PCI-E 2,0)

Lastly and I think the most important reason why some folks will say X58/Bloomfield is the prefered Gamers choice is if you plug in two really *monster* GPU's then you will get slightly better frame-rates on the X58 due to it offering the two full PCI-E x16 slots.

Personally, my own choice if buying today would be the 860, that's my own personal opinion and will not be shared by a gazillion die-hard Bloomfield owners heh!


November 2, 2009 2:25:04 PM

overshocks said:
QPI and DMI are different. Buddy you need to research.

You're the one who need to do so...
The QPI is a Nehalem's archititure feature and exists in the 1156/P55 platform just like in the 1366/X58 platform with few differences..
The QPI in a 1366 system has to travel outside the CPU to the NB (X58) and as such only transferes PCIe info.. And it also carries info from the SB (ICH10R) Which is connected to the NB using DMI..
Because the PCIe controller is integrated into the i5/i7(1156) die the QPI is also on die thus lowering latency (for both PCIe cards and devices connected to the P55 PCH) and power consumption.. However it still gets the info from the P55 PCH through DMI.. Just like what X58 and ICH10R does together..
------------------------
The i7 920 is much better than the i7 860/i5 750 because at 2.66GHz the i7 920 beats the i7 860 (at 2.93 -> 3.2GHz approx) in most tests so by OC'ing it has no match..
There's nothing called comparing the CPU's raw performance without taking into acount the other platform components because it can't operate all by itself.. But comparing it regardless of cost makes the i7 920 the winner..
The i7 930 is going to be out soon and will be built on Intel's 32nm high-k...
The i7 860 is probably there only for people who went the i5 750 rout and wanted to upgrade after a while but don't want to upgrade the whole system..
November 3, 2009 1:43:35 AM

^I'm going to restate this, "QPI and DMI are different. Buddy you need to research."

Clearly, you have a misunderstanding in the situation.

Should I provide evidence on this easy to solve situation? Sure.

Here's a link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410-...

"Intel’s most recent three-chip desktop platform, X58, employed a 25.6 GB/s QPI link between the Core i7 CPU and X58 IOH. It then used a 2 GB/s DMI connection between X58 and the ICH10 chipset component."
November 3, 2009 1:56:43 AM

Yes QPI and DMI are different - DMI has a lower bandwidth. However, Intel made up for this by reducing the amount of bandwidth needed by integrating the PCI-e lanes onto the die and reducing the number of RAM channels to two. There is more than enough bandwidth for the normal "southbridge" tasks (SATA, USB)...

Edit: you edited your post while I was typing...
November 3, 2009 2:09:58 AM

jbakerlent said:
Yes QPI and DMI are different - DMI has a lower bandwidth. However, Intel made up for this by reducing the amount of bandwidth needed by integrating the PCI-e lanes onto the die and reducing the number of RAM channels to two. There is more than enough bandwidth for the normal "southbridge" tasks (SATA, USB)...

Edit: you edited your post while I was typing...


In conclusion, I figured he came in and tried to bash me, but failed miserably.

Don't get why people hating, just a poll.
November 3, 2009 2:28:05 AM

I voted but i am not telling because its a poll not a bashing match :)  good day
November 3, 2009 2:34:15 AM

overshocks said:
In conclusion, I figured he came in and tried to bash me, but failed miserably.

Don't get why people hating, just a poll.


EXACTLY.. this poll seems like a bash arena... lol.. My vote: i7 920 (for this poll since only raw-performance is counted).
REASON:
1. QPI... pls no more bashing (for eg. how will mobo manufactures implement sata 3.0, usb 3.0 on DMI w/o saturating the link?)
2. x16/x16 SLI/CF
3. 6-core upgrade but UBER pricey.

BUT FOR THE END-USER who don't overclock, want a cheaper PC, no SLI/CF, my vote i5-750. This is because they can save $$$ on cheaper yet have a fast computer: For eg. mobo wise: Intel BOXDP55WB vs ASRock X58 Extreme
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
vs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Btw, I don't understand why are you all crying over 1$ difference on the i7-860 and i7-920 price in newegg.
November 3, 2009 2:46:31 AM

^Cool

I don't think anyone was crying for "1$ difference on the i7-860 and i7-920 price in newegg". I don't even think anyone mentioned there was a price difference except you. Anways, one dollar you can buy something at the dollar store :D 

Does anybody know when the 930 is coming out, at around what price, specs. Any good links?
____________________

Remember this is a poll, not a place for bashing, even if you want to bash, get your facts straighten out before you do so.
November 3, 2009 3:10:54 AM

Here is the proof that somebody was saying price difference on CPU... :bounce: 
snakej said:
Quote:
It's not an easy choice heh!

The Bloomfield 920 has been out longer than I realised and is a popular choice now, the boards that support have been fine tuned through BIOS revisions and you have a wealth of 3rd party heatsinks to choose from.

The Lynnfield 860 has been on sale like a week, alot of people scoff it or see it as a bad choice because the 920 can be had for less.

However I guess it depends if you wanna overclock or not and how you use your machine, the Lynnfield 860 is IMHO the most advanced mainstream processor in the world and has a number of benefits not found on ye old Bloomfield (joking heh, it's not that old!), like improved memory support, better Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, more power efficient etc

From early reviews the Lynnfield i860 seems to be overclocking very well too!

When comparing Bloomfield vs Lynnfield the former only really offers a few extras:
Tri-Channel instead of Dual Channel
QPI instead of DMI
Full x16/x16 PCI-E 2.0 Crossfire/SLI Support (vs 8x/8x)
Tri-Channel Memory looks good on paper, however from everything I've read it's not making hardly any difference in the Real world? I guess it depends how you use your PC

QPI has more bandwidth than DMI but again from what I've read the extra QPI bandwidth comes into its own when you have Multi Chip set-ups (i.e two separate processors both plugged into same board), also bare in mind some of this QPI bandwidth is being used up on the PCI-E 2.0 graphics (Lynnfield has built in PCI-E 2,0)

Lastly and I think the most important reason why some folks will say X58/Bloomfield is the prefered Gamers choice is if you plug in two really *monster* GPU's then you will get slightly better frame-rates on the X58 due to it offering the two full PCI-E x16 slots.

Personally, my own choice if buying today would be the 860, that's my own personal opinion and will not be shared by a gazillion die-hard Bloomfield owners heh!

November 3, 2009 3:27:29 AM

Quote:
Intel’s most recent three-chip desktop platform, X58, employed a 25.6 GB/s QPI link between the Core i7 CPU and X58 IOH. It then used a 2 GB/s DMI connection between X58 and the ICH10 chipset component.
---------------------
As we shift to P55 and its two-chip design, the northbridge gets absorbed into Core i5/Core i7, and we’re left with what amounts to a southbridge attached to the processor, even if Intel refers to this as a platform controller hub. As with the ICHes before it, P55 connects to its host (Lynnfield) through a DMI connection.

!!!
-----------------
And I wasn't hating I was just a bit angry from the last meeting but I hope we will work it out soon if you can...
November 3, 2009 3:36:32 AM

Do you still don't get what I was just stating a simple sentence?

The above paragraph you said is trying to prove what? The DMI and QPI works together?

What are we debating about? Lol.

"QPI and DMI are different."

That's a fact. Anything unclear?
November 3, 2009 3:37:18 AM

akash3656 said:
Here is the proof that somebody was saying price difference on CPU... :bounce: 


Oh, I missed that.
November 3, 2009 10:26:36 AM

^^ I admit they're different but what you were trying to say appeared as if the i5/i7s of the 1156 platform don't have QPI.. Which I tried to proof otherwise..
DMI was never meant to connect the CPU to another chip but the SB.. And I'm here talking only about Naheleam based CPUs as I haven't looked into C2s yet (I don't think I will..)
November 3, 2009 12:29:23 PM

psycho sykes said:
^^ I admit they're different but what you were trying to say appeared as if the i5/i7s of the 1156 platform don't have QPI.. Which I tried to proof otherwise..
DMI was never meant to connect the CPU to another chip but the SB.. And I'm here talking only about Naheleam based CPUs as I haven't looked into C2s yet (I don't think I will..)


^Okay, thanks for explaining the use of QPI and DMI then, also c2s are too old anyways no one should really look at them at all lol.
November 3, 2009 12:40:30 PM

^No problem..
I'll take that as friends again..

Medo
November 3, 2009 5:13:47 PM

Nice guys, it's cool that you guys figured it all out. I personally just got an i7 920 and am working on that build as I type this. I got it because it was heavily discounted at $200 at microcenter. I love that place haha. Anyways good poll, I enjoyed reading everyones input!
November 3, 2009 6:10:16 PM

psycho sykes said:
^No problem..
I'll take that as friends again..

Medo


Haha no need to write it in fine print, yes friends again.
November 3, 2009 8:48:13 PM

waynec121 said:
Nice guys, it's cool that you guys figured it all out. I personally just got an i7 920 and am working on that build as I type this. I got it because it was heavily discounted at $200 at microcenter. I love that place haha. Anyways good poll, I enjoyed reading everyones input!


Good luck on your build. I wish there's a place like microcenter that sells i7 920 that cheap in Canada.
November 4, 2009 11:26:26 AM

Just to let you lads know, I voted for the i7 860 :) 

Please don't bash me :lol: 
November 4, 2009 11:29:07 AM

@build.. Do you live in Europe??
November 4, 2009 11:29:43 AM

Yeah................you?
November 4, 2009 11:31:18 AM

Look at the Sig..
November 4, 2009 11:33:39 AM

Oooops :lol: 

November 4, 2009 11:36:53 AM

I'm just saying ooops because I didn't notice you had Egypt written on your sig, don't know how I missed it :D 
a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2009 6:49:41 PM

The first link is to back up information the OP stated in an earlier post, from what I can tell.

The last two links are the Intel CPU specifications for i7 920 and i5 750. I guess the OP wanted to provided you with links to the difference in the two CPU's on paper.
November 5, 2009 8:12:35 PM

@overchocks
I think your question is a bit limited. Do you want to debate on the best CPU in term of brutal performance or just bout the overall price/performance?
If the answer is the first option then why did you put the i5 750 on the list?
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!