joan_trc

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
:cry: while i was away from home my husband installed aH50 corsair cpucoolerin mycace thermaltake full tower. Now my cpu idle's at 57c he's tried high speed fans, in a push&pull config but still no luck . he now tell's me that i need the HAF-932 case forbetterair flow Is there anybody who can help with this .thanks Joan :cry:

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Don't use the H50 cooler it's really not very good, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Firstly, has he installed the sink correctly to the CPU? Used thermal paste? Applied i properly? He might need to reseat it.

Second, the H50's fan must be used as an INTAKE - i.e. drawing cool air from outside the case over the radiator - to work properly. This means you give up one of your 120mm fans as an exhaust.

Thirdly, what's your CPU? Is it overclocked? If it's an i7 then they run too hot for a single 120mm radiator to handle properly.

Basically, no case is going to aid that cooler.

Try reseating the cooler: clean off all existing thermal paste and re-applying it (instructions for best approach for your CPU can be found online) then put the unit on. Make sure the fan is intake.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I've been reading a lot of comments that the H50 is not good. Mine is pretty decent. 32-38 on Idle, 70 on load with my i7 920 overclocked to 3.8Ghz. I'm using the stock thermal paste too and I have a push/pull set up with the air coming into the case.

joan_trc

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
the thermal paste was on the heat sink was left on the rma is in my e mail the tec said that it was hooked up right. an that the temps should be 29 to 32 {Q6700} no oc. I do like the cable management on the HAF 932 though,& even with the mods made to my case, I still will get the HAF932 . Not sure if I will try H50 again. If I do, I will put artic silver #5 or if there is a better paste on heat sink. Thanks, any info on case or H50 is much appreciated. Joan

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Arctic Silver 5 or MX-2 are the best ones these days, althoguh AC5 has a "curing" period so you'll see best results after a few days.

I'm not one for the HAF series tbh - I like lights and unconventional styles (Raven RV01 = drool) but the overly militaristic HAF doesn't float my boat. Inside they're dreamy.

jona102190

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

Perhaps you didn't screw it down tight enough?

I have a H50 too, and I found the instructions very poor (older models that had brackets for each socket, rather than one with multiple holes seemed much easier to install). Are you sure you installed it right? Once you put the heatsink on the CPU, it needs to be twisted to lock with the retention ring, and then screw the retention ring down to secure.

zachboy35

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I have an H50 and it is actually amazingly better (not surprising, than any of thermaltakes all in one that are about twice the price. It keeps my 8400 at 40 celsius full load. I used to get very high temp but i bought arctic silver seven, and it is way better than the stock grease. You should try that!

joan_trc

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
After ready alot of articles at Corsair website, I have ordered two Noctus NF-P12 120mm for push and pull config. Have RMA for a new H50 and I have been reading and ordered IC diamond 7 carat paste. It is only 2.5 degrees difference but from what I have read, it is the best there is. Also, I made my husband buy me the HAF932 since he is the one that started all this. Thank you for all your replies. Joan