12 gb memory question thanks

savoxp

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I have a gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard with 4 gb right now each 1 gb stick...got an i7 in there...want to put 12 gb in there only have 4 slots. fairly new to pc jargon only built 2 pc's. cmos and bios are other worlds. Basically asking what product i can put in there for example this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226100&cm_re=12GB_(3_x_4GB)-_-20-226-100-_-Product
and if it is even compatible with it... which ever one works how do you triple thread it or get it to work properly do you just plug and play or do you have to do a cmos reset and on- thank you alot for helping

Solution
You should be able to hit 3.0 pretty easily with relatively little extra heat on the stock cooler.

Definitely not worth it. I know you only have 4 slots, but you can run triple channel on your board with 3x2Gb (leaving slot 2 empty). I would go with 6Gb first and see how that works for you. You're honestly not going to see much difference. If you do decide to go 8Gb (sorry...screwed up the link)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231330

Otherwise, go with a 3x2Gb kit of the Dominator or XMS3, or whatever you choose with good reviews.

The thing with voltage is this - power usage is lower (going from 1.65v to 1.35v dropped my power usage by about 20w - not huge, but noticeable). However, it also allows you...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'm very confused...an x58 board should have slots in multiples of 3's - either 3 slots or 6 slots for Triple Channel memory, which the 1366 socket benefits from. Having 4x1GB sticks doesn't make much sense in that regard.

I'd suggest getting a solid 6GB kit, or if you want, buy two, to get you to 12GB.

Why do you feel you need 12GB RAM? What do you do that requires that much memory.

No, you should just have to shut off the computer, ground yourself, take out the old memory, plug in the new memory, and reboot. It should detect it and take care of it for you.

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
It IS an X58 board with 4 slots - very WEIRD. I had to pull the motherboard manual from Gigabyte's website to figure out how it's "triple channel" but has 4 slots. Somehow, the board configures 4 slots (or slots 1, 2 and 4) as triple channel. I fail to understand what the purpose in this is, but...

Based on what I see in the manual, you can go 8Gb or 16Gb (using VERY expensive 4Gb modules) but 12Gb would not yield triple channel as it would take 2x4Gb and 2x2Gb and thus only operate in dual-channel mode due to different sized modules. You have to have the same size in either three or four slots for triple channel to be activated.

As for compatibility, I've built probably 200 systems over the past 3 or 4 years and have yet to run into any motherboard that had compatilbity issues with memory. I'm sure my days are numbered, but to be safe you should always check the website for their compatible memory (basically what they've tested). I never have, but if you're concerned about it, go to http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-ex58-ud3r_1.7.pdf

savoxp

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Thank you for explaining. Iwas mistaken i thought i had 4 gb in there only have 3 but from this picture it looks like it has 4 memory slots very ashamed of this mistake

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=13-128-375-S03&ISList=13-128-375-S01%2c13-128-375-S02%2c13-128-375-S03%2c13-128-375-S04%2c13-128-375-S05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16813128375&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=GIGABYTE%20GA-EX58-UD3R%20LGA%201366%20Intel%20X58%20ATX%20Intel%20Motherboard

The memory is forediting video 1080p after effects rendering...3 gb is not cutting it.
Basically wondering what product i should use any companies i should stay away from .the max it can take is 16gb... sorry again for not explaining i have 3 gbs ...do you think this product would work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104169&cm_re=16gb-_-20-104-169-_-Product

if that was a good product for my mobo could i ever buy two more 4 gb sticks to put in a mobo that can handle 24? or would i have to buy a whole new set of sticks?

sorry im a newb

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
With 4 slots, the most you could go is 16Gb - no more. With 6, like most x58 boards have, you can go to 24Gb. I've never had a problem with Kingston. Then again, I've never had a problem OCZ, Patriot, AData or Geil, either. The only memory I've ever had issues with is G.Skill and yet those are always the highest rated chips. Go figure.

That said, $900 for 16Gb of memory is insane, and I highly doubt you'll notice a difference between that and 8Gb. I have 12Gb in mine and it's a waste. I would have been just fine with 6 or 9Gb. There isn't a single benchmark, video edit, video encode that's shown any improvement going from 6Gb (3 sticks) to 12Gb (6 sticks) and even with 3 virtual machines using 1Gb each, a bluray encode, outlook/office, media player, online backup and editing a massive RAW picture...and everything else I can hit my PC with, I've never seen more than 44% memory usage. I'd buy 4x2Gb for about $200 and use the extra $700 on perhaps a graphics card that can your software can use to offload editing (CUDA maybe?) or...a hex-core 980x. That's only a $1,000 and will help with video editing FAR more than 16Gb of memory will. That's only $300 more than you were willing to spend on the memory alone.

Just my 2¢

savoxp

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
So go for the 8 gb...put them into to the machine turn it on and its good to go? Anything else- i already have an ati saphire 4800- What else could i do to make it faster or do you think i will even need it to? Basically rendering 1080p files on vegas it sometimes trips out. Or importing the clips it will freeze and have to restart. I will be getting into complex layering of special effects of very high res files onto already high res clips just trying to take all things into account. It would be best to build a new INSANE pc. But is there anything other than adding the memory? if i did sli would it even be worth it for the price on what it would do to realtime editing?

You 2cents is more like 70$ thanks

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Yes...barring any of the chips being bad, you simply plug them in, turn the PC on, and you're good to. No configuration is usually needed. Make sure you buy DDR3 that's rated at 1.65v or lower - the higher voltage DDR3 is for AMD based systems.

While there's a noticeable difference going from 4Gb to 6GB (and DEFINITELY from 3Gb), there's not much of a difference going higher. Most power users build their X58 systems with 6Gb - it's rare you'd need to go more. I'd go with a 3x2Gb triple-channel kit and save the money. If you need another 2Gb for your editing, you can also buy another 2Gb stick later. Again, use the money saved on a faster processor, or consider doing some overclocking. I'm not sure that's going to help with the fact that you're locking up, though. That sounds more like overheating or a faulty memory stick.

Now...something I neglected to ask earlier - what O/S are you using? Going more than 3Gb is pointless if you're only using Vista or 7 32bit. You MUST have a 64bit O/S to address more than 4Gb of memory. Putting 6/8Gb of memory on a 32bit O/S will do you no good - complete waste of money because your O/S won't even see it let alone use it.

savoxp

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
do you overclock- seems pretty risky- fry it and doesn't it take the longevity out of it? i mean for the risk doesn't seem like you get that much more...maybe you do what do you think.

I have already and i7-920 quad core 2.66ghz core 45nm qpi 4.8gts L3 cache 8mb
everything is on default
Vista 64bit

Im thinking this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145267&cm_re=8gb_memory-_-20-145-267-_-Product
Do i have to worry about the timing or cas latency with compatibility or what does that spec mean in laymans term
This is the speed of the corsair in the link Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
this is my mobo -Memory Standard DDR3 2000+ / 1333 / 1066
that should work if its the ddr3 speed but what does the pc3 mean- different socket or mobo type?

Thanks you're a lifesaver(and moneysaver)

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
It's...kinda/sorta risky...if you're not careful. Yes, my 920 is at 3.66GHz. As long as you aren't trying to do OC'ing with the stock cooler (something like an 212+ is good) and you don't put too much voltage in it (mine is only .02v up) than there's no much risk in it. It's the higher voltage that people push that will burn it out. Start by bumping up the bClk with NO voltage increase until it becomes unstable and/or won't boot (reset the BIOS if it doesn't and start over). You'll probably be able to get to 3.2 to 3.3 with little problem.

If money is not an issue, the Dominator's are good memory. Now, if you want GREAT memory, low latencies and low voltage...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052129233%201052329188&name=8GB%20%284%20x%202GB%29

1.35v with better timings than the Dominator...and it's $50 cheaper. It's what I have in my system (6x2Gb of it). I still think you'd be fine with a 6Gb kit which would save you even more. Dominator or XM3 are another $50 cheaper.

As for timings...it depends on who you ask. IMHO, you're only going to notice on benchmarks. There isn't a single user out there that honestly tell you that they "feel" a difference and how much faster their PC is with CL7 versus CL9 memory. Run Vantage or some other synthetic benmark...yeah, it'll show you a difference. But real world - you're never going to notice. You do want higher speed memory (like DDR3 1600 or higher) because as you bump the bClk of the processor you're memory speed will increase. You can adjust the memory ratio to compensate. My board has crap for ratio settings so with my bClk I can run it at 1440 or the next setting is 1800(ish). I only have DDR3-1600 so I have to leave it at 1440. Again, you probably won't notice a difference between 1333 and 1600 except where it comes into play by overclocking.

PC3=DDR3. They use DDR3 to designate the type and speed of memory (1600MHz), while the PC3 (like PC2 and PC for DDR1) is used to designate the theoretical bandwidth (12,800MB/s).

savoxp

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
3.66 thats pretty damn savage... so no over clocking though if you have a stock cooler...if you get one just go into bios or the bClk menu and boos the power up .02v. and thats all you did to get your that fast!?

"It's what I have in my system (6x2Gb of it)" only have 4 slots :(
so deff no more than 8gbs its not worth it in your mind for the 12gb's- price/performance wise .. is that correct?

"Now, if you want GREAT memory, low latencies and low voltage..."
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] x%202GB%29

that link is to a bunch of memory not one in particular? basically get a one of those dominator that has lots of good eggs?

Right on yeah i read the wiki and one other website about the timing...now it makes more sense...Does the voltage even matter on how good the thing is...cause couldn't some be really good and save power- others even better and because they're so good they need more power... is it even a spec to ponder?

Do you overclock your memory?

Seriously learned so much from you thanks

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
You should be able to hit 3.0 pretty easily with relatively little extra heat on the stock cooler.

Definitely not worth it. I know you only have 4 slots, but you can run triple channel on your board with 3x2Gb (leaving slot 2 empty). I would go with 6Gb first and see how that works for you. You're honestly not going to see much difference. If you do decide to go 8Gb (sorry...screwed up the link)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231330

Otherwise, go with a 3x2Gb kit of the Dominator or XMS3, or whatever you choose with good reviews.

The thing with voltage is this - power usage is lower (going from 1.65v to 1.35v dropped my power usage by about 20w - not huge, but noticeable). However, it also allows you to bump up the voltage (say, to 1.5v) to get a little overclocking or better timings. Overall, though - voltage isn't that big of a deal. Just remember to keep it 1.65v or lower for i7s.

I don't over clock memory because I've never had success with it so...I stopped trying. The problems I continue to have with 90% of the PCs I build always seem to be memory related. To me, they seem to be the most fragile item in a PC (2nd being the power supplies) so I simply don't risk it if I don't have to. The other issue to keep in mind is memory blue-screens due to incorrect timings, a failing stick, bad voltage, etc... have a MUCH higher risk of screwing up a Windows install than anything else. I can't tell you how many times I've had a memory stick go bad and have totally hosed a Windows installation. It was more common with XP and I haven't seen it nearly as much with Vista/7, but I have still seen it. Most of the time, it's not a concern, but there's nothing like seeing the "windows found a corrupt registry and had to restore it...the restore was successful" or something like that, followed on the next reboot by a "hive" error and no way to get into Windows. I'll OC a processor until it bleeds, but I've never been a big fan of memory overclocking. That's just me, though. I'll bet for every one of me, there's 9 others that say it's harmless. I'm probably in the minority. LOL.

Bottom line - go with 6Gb of 8Gb (if you're okay with spending the extra $50), but not 12 or 16Gb as I simply don't think you need it nor would you notice it. 3x4Gb sticks (12Gb) are almost $600 for the cheapest set, while 4x4Gb are over $700. That's insane with a great set of 4x2Gb sticks is only $250 and you'll simply never notice the difference between 8Gb and 12Gb. I'd recommend starting with 3x2Gb and seeing what you think and saving the $50 first, but if you went with 8Gb I wouldn't blame you. Heck, I went 12Gb and think that's asinine. :)

Solution