Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Spinpoint F3

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 22, 2011 8:46:07 PM

yeah im getting this HDD, now does it matter what way its facing when i put it in i see little contacts on the bottom as well as a logic board(right word, right?) will it short out on the metal in my case or something?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

sorry, never used a OEM drive before :)  mine usually have something covering that bit

More about : spinpoint

a b G Storage
September 22, 2011 9:22:42 PM

ah never mind i just remembered it doesnt sit flush wit the bottom my case has little things keeping it up :)  (haf 912) and what (if anything) do i need to do with the installation... do i need to put in AHCI mode or something (i heard SSDS run nicer with it like that but what about HDDS?)

Best solution

September 22, 2011 9:22:58 PM

The contacts you can see are the SATA data & power connectors which will be covered when you install the drive - so it makes no diffderence which way up you install it.

the small circuit board will not be touching any part of your case when you install it - the drive has mounting holes for the screws that are positioned to ensure that the driver only touches the case on the sides.
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 22, 2011 9:28:42 PM

ah yeah thanks man, and do i need to put it into AHCI or is it just basic install and go?
September 22, 2011 9:47:39 PM

You haven't even told us what your doing. All you said is "I'm getting this drive".

Are you replacing a drive and putting windows on it?

Are you adding a backup drive to a system that already has a drive with OS?

Are we psychic mindreaders?

a b G Storage
September 22, 2011 10:01:45 PM

oh im sorry :)  i just figured... ah well... i wasnt really thinking :)  yes im replacing my 320g ide drive from the 90s putting windows on the new one and using the old one as backup with another 120g drive, is there anything i need to do other then put it in and switch the jumpers on my ide?

Actually i might be giving away one of my IDE drives, but either way ill have one in there :) 
a b G Storage
September 22, 2011 11:18:32 PM

Best answer selected by mouse24.
September 24, 2011 10:10:15 AM

The F3 doesnt not have a "jumper" and will be fine as the boot drive. The older drive can tbe set as master on one of the IDE Channels - but this wont make much difference really.

AHCI is the best way to go - make sure you set this in BIOS before you install windows, thought there is a work around if you forget to do so.
a b G Storage
September 24, 2011 1:13:50 PM

thanks man, i finally got around to checking to see if it was set as master and somehow i have both set to slave 0.o, thanks man and ill put it in AHCI mode <3 ty
!