site:tomshardware com reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

G

MSI G31M3-F mobo, just finished building machine, but now I get the message: Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device. I have the bios setup to read from the cd/dvd burner, hard drive... The drives are both recognized in the bios. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have Liteon Sata Drive 24x Internal DVD/CD Writer. Thanks so much for your assistance. I can't get out of this loop.

G

I only have the drivers Vista/XP that come with the mobo from MSI. I have installed the mobo...the cd/dvd combo, and the hard drive. As mentioned before, they are all Sata. There is no operating system installed yet. I need to install off of the cd/dvd. I have a Windows 7 120 day evaluation disk.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
set the bios boot order to boot the cd drive first then the hard drive second, insert windows 7 disk, save changes and reboot. install windows 7 then change the boot order back to haddrive first cd second.

G

Thanks for the information.

I had the boot order cd/dvd burner...then the hard drive...with the cd in the drive but still getting same error:

Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device.

A legally purchased retail version of Windows 7 will have no problems booting from a SATA DVD drive. (aside from the obvious, such as a bad drive, boot order set incorrectly, user created illegally burned copy, etc.)
So......the next question is, where did you get the install DVD?

G

Hi Joe,

I got it from a reputable source. It is an evaluation version. Shouldn't one of the cd's from MSI work in the drive?

Thanks for all of your help.

G

I will try my Windows XP cd to see if that works. If it does not, it points to a bad cd/dvd burner.. My goal was to install Windows 7 without having to go back to Windows XP.

Thanks for all of your help.