site:tomshardware com reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

MSI G31M3-F mobo, just finished building machine, but now I get the message: Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device. I have the bios setup to read from the cd/dvd burner, hard drive... The drives are both recognized in the bios. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have Liteon Sata Drive 24x Internal DVD/CD Writer. Thanks so much for your assistance. I can't get out of this loop.
8 answers Last reply
More about site tomshardware reboot select proper boot device insert boot media
  1. Have you already installed the OS?
  2. Do you have an Windows install disk in one of the drives?
    It is simply telling you that it cannot find an OS to boot to, or a bootable install disk to start the OS installation, that is all.
  3. I only have the drivers Vista/XP that come with the mobo from MSI. I have installed the mobo...the cd/dvd combo, and the hard drive. As mentioned before, they are all Sata. There is no operating system installed yet. I need to install off of the cd/dvd. I have a Windows 7 120 day evaluation disk.
  4. set the bios boot order to boot the cd drive first then the hard drive second, insert windows 7 disk, save changes and reboot. install windows 7 then change the boot order back to haddrive first cd second.
  5. paperfox said:
    set the bios boot order to boot the cd drive first then the hard drive second, insert windows 7 disk, save changes and reboot. install windows 7 then change the boot order back to haddrive first cd second.

Thanks for the information.

I had the boot order cd/dvd burner...then the hard drive...with the cd in the drive but still getting same error:

Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device.
  6. A legally purchased retail version of Windows 7 will have no problems booting from a SATA DVD drive. (aside from the obvious, such as a bad drive, boot order set incorrectly, user created illegally burned copy, etc.)
    So......the next question is, where did you get the install DVD?
  7. Hi Joe,

I got it from a reputable source. It is an evaluation version. Shouldn't one of the cd's from MSI work in the drive?

Thanks for all of your help.
  8. I will try my Windows XP cd to see if that works. If it does not, it points to a bad cd/dvd burner.. My goal was to install Windows 7 without having to go back to Windows XP.

Thanks for all of your help.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Boot Devices Systems