Sign in with
Your question

Graphic card driver issue?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2009 7:36:52 PM

I am trying to play simcity 4 deluxe. I have windows xp home installed in ubuntu linux with the help of virtual box. when i try to start it, i get told "Could not initialize Direct Draw." the title of the window is Hardware Driver Error. Then I click ok, and the screen goes black, forcing me to shut off the virtual machine and restart it. any ideas? i think it could be related to the driver for the video card, or maybe something relating to windows xp being installed with virtual box inside linux... any ideas would be great. i have a ATI Radeon 9550XL 256mb AGP card.
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 8:56:42 PM

Make sure it has 256 MB's or RAM or it won't run it.
m
l
November 10, 2009 9:38:23 PM

make sure it has 256 mb's? how? Im in ubuntu 9.10 right now. it is my only graphics card. so i would appreciate some explanation...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 9:55:52 PM

*smack my forehead* You listed it right there your first post.

Type dxdiag in the Windows XP Run command. Now click Test Direct Draw. What do you get from that?
m
l
November 10, 2009 10:07:19 PM

these are all the notes after testing direct draw:
The file VBoxDisp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.
m
l
November 10, 2009 11:54:53 PM

tried that, and still nothing....
m
l
!