Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Modern Warfare 2 with NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2009 7:42:02 PM

I installed Windows 7 on my macbook pro, and then installed Modern Warfare 2 today. It installed no problem, and then when I tried to start it up, I got this in the console.

----- Client Initialization Complete -----
Attempting 44 kHz 16 bit [Windows default] sound
----- R_Init -----
Getting Direct3D 9 interface...
Pixel shader version is 2.0
Vertex shader version is 2.0
Video card or driver doesn't support fullscreen gamma.
Video card or driver doesn't support vertex shader 3.0 or better.

Error during initialization:
Video card or driver doesn't support vertex shader 3.0 or better.

I'm quite sure the 9600m has 4 shaders. Why does it say I only have 2?
Two graphics cards came with my macbook pro, (the 9600m and a 9400m). Maybe that has something do with this?

Macbook Pro Specs:
-2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
-4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I should also mention I have the Mac version of Modern Warfare 1, and it works completely fine. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should do? I appreciate all replies.
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 8:51:21 PM

It has 4 shader pipes but is not using Shader Model 4.0.

An analogy would be have a 4 lane highway (4 pipes) but using Shader Model 2.0 (roller skates) instead of Shader Model 4.0 (motorcycle).
November 10, 2009 9:05:01 PM

THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR BUYING A MAC.
Related resources
November 10, 2009 9:10:54 PM

TheViper said:

An analogy would be have a 4 lane highway (4 pipes) but using Shader Model 2.0 (roller skates) instead of Shader Model 4.0 (motorcycle).

So how can I have it run shader model 4.0?
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 9:27:55 PM

It can't. That's built into the hardware itself.
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 9:36:26 PM

TheViper said:

PWNED! But has nothing to do with OP's question.....

LOL. At any rate, +1 for viper. It's a hardware limitation.
November 10, 2009 10:39:19 PM

next time, don't buy an overpriced piece of ... err, crap
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 11:41:03 PM

Be little more diplomatic, fellas. Maybe he didn't buy it himself, maybe it was all he needed at the time, whatever.

Being more knowledgeable than others doesn't give you the right to berate them.
November 11, 2009 11:36:22 AM

Are you perhaps running it in Parallels or something? Because I'm on bootcamp and it runs just fine... High settings @ 1440x900 with 2xAA

And a mac isn't an overpriced piece of crap.. If you don't like it just don't buy it end of story.

EDIT: I should mention though that I overclocked my GPU just a tiny bit which gives me an increase of around 4 to 5 fps (which is nothing much but still..) It's standard clocked at 500 - 792 - 1250 and I clocked it at 550 - 900 - 1400

3dMark 06 score of 6373 ^^ (while default is 5988).

Oh and I also have the DOX drivers from laptopvideo2go.. (v. 185.85)
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2009 12:04:07 PM

Lewion said:
Are you perhaps running it in Parallels or something? Because I'm on bootcamp and it runs just fine... High settings @ 1440x900 with 2xAA

And a mac isn't an overpriced piece of crap.. If you don't like it just don't buy it end of story.

EDIT: I should mention though that I overclocked my GPU just a tiny bit which gives me an increase of around 4 to 5 fps (which is nothing much but still..) It's standard clocked at 500 - 792 - 1250 and I clocked it at 550 - 900 - 1400

If Apples PCs are not pieces of overpriced crap, please explain to us simpletons why a 1000$ build is almost 2 times more powerful than a 2000$ Apple 'ooo shinny' junk?
November 11, 2009 1:11:37 PM

hallowed_dragon said:
If Apples PCs are not pieces of overpriced crap, please explain to us simpletons why a 1000$ build is almost 2 times more powerful than a 2000$ Apple 'ooo shinny' junk?

If you're talking about custom made computers then I guess you are right at some point. BUT: If you look at comparable systems (of the macbook pro for example) of other manufacturers, you'll find that there prices are often the same and sometimes even more then what the MacBook Pro is priced...

Not to sound fanboy-ish or something but I rather spent that amount of money on a mac that actually has everything I need built into (even the ability to install windows if I would like to.. which I did for MS Project and Gaming in general). I don't hate pc's or anything, I even like HP ^^

Anyway let's not go off topic and help the topicstarter! :D 
November 11, 2009 1:23:31 PM

Lewion said:

Yes, I'm running parallels. So I should try running bootcamp instead? I'll give it a shot, and we'll see what happens.
November 11, 2009 2:16:33 PM

cKlos11 said:
Yes, I'm running parallels. So I should try running bootcamp instead? I'll give it a shot, and we'll see what happens.

You should not only try to use bootcamp, you should just use bootcamp whenever you want to play a game that requires a lot of GPU power. Parallels limit's to Shader model 2.0 I think, and Modern Warfare 2 uses 3.0, It'll never get past the check :) 
As for performance, a game really runs slow in parallels, so that's why you should always use bootcamp.

You can always check for non official ports of games btw... But as the word says they're ports and a port often has performance issues too.

In short: Use bootcamp to play and you'll be alright.
November 11, 2009 2:33:44 PM

Lewion said:
You should not only try to use bootcamp, you should just use bootcamp whenever you want to play a game that requires a lot of GPU power. Parallels limit's to Shader model 2.0 I think, and Modern Warfare 2 uses 3.0, It'll never get past the check :) 
As for performance, a game really runs slow in parallels, so that's why you should always use bootcamp.

You can always check for non official ports of games btw... But as the word says they're ports and a port often has performance issues too.

In short: Use bootcamp to play and you'll be alright.

I think I have one last question and I'm good to use Boot Camp: How important is it to back up, as it says. Is it really necessary?

Also, thanks for bearing with me. I'm relatively new to computers.

Best solution

November 11, 2009 2:47:16 PM

cKlos11 said:
I think I have one last question and I'm good to use Boot Camp: How important is it to back up, as it says. Is it really necessary?

Also, thanks for bearing with me. I'm relatively new to computers.

It's not really necessary if you know just a slight bit of what you are doing. You create a partition by shrinking the default Mac partition. Now this has never done anything wrong with my files or anything, so I don't expect it to be a problem with you're files either. But just to be sure, backup the things you really don't want to loose..

But all in all nothing's gonna go wrong you can trust me on that ^^ Just create the partition install windows and enjoy the game really :)  Btw what's your steam account? Maybe we can play together hehe ;) 
November 11, 2009 10:32:33 PM

I got it working, thanks! My steam is cKlos11 if you want to add me. Modern Warfare 2 on a Mac: I didn't think it was possible. But it actually works well!
November 12, 2009 5:15:18 AM

cKlos11 said:
I got it working, thanks! My steam is cKlos11 if you want to add me. Modern Warfare 2 on a Mac: I didn't think it was possible. But it actually works well!

Hehe allright ;)  I'll add you when I get home from my exam JSP... You can actually get a decent frame rate with High settings around 30-ish.. The game really looks wicked! :D 

Too bad there aren't any dedicated servers left. The only thing I regret when Infinity Ward announced IWNET.. Oh well guess we'll just have to play cod 4 from time to time again xD
November 12, 2009 5:43:34 AM

i got the same problem and iono how to fix it :( 
November 12, 2009 12:29:41 PM

ilmlatca said:
i got the same problem and iono how to fix it :( 

Step By Step:

1. Make sure you're talking about a mac here. :p 
2. Open up "Bootcamp" on your mac.
3. Resize your partition to install windows on your internal hard drive.
4. Insert the windows installation dvd and press "restart"
5. Follow the installation. When it asks for where you want the installer to install windows, just press the newly created partition.
6. Format the newly created partition for NTFS (because it's probably formatted in FAT32 by "Bootcamp".
7. Select the newly formatted partition to install your windows upon.
8. Let the installation finish. Press restart and hold you're alt key (or Option key as it is called)
10. Select your bootcamp partition (which is probably named something like "windows") and press enter.
11. Insert the required properties, user name etc where you have to. (This basically creates a user account and it does that only once on first boot)
12. Insert your leopard or snow leopard dvd and install the bootcamp drivers.
13. Reboot. (Yes this is required!)
14. Hold alt (option) and select windows
15. Log in to your account and pop in your Modern Warfare 2 DVD
16. Install the game.
17. ENJOY...

I hope this covers it as a basic guide ...

Greetz ;) 

EDIT: Mods, you can put a lock on this now as I basically solved the whole question...
November 12, 2009 8:44:39 PM

:(  sorry i dont have mac just normal laptop, i tho i could run mw2 since i played mw b4 but ....yeah error appears
November 13, 2009 1:24:00 AM

What that means is that you're laptop's hardware can't handle MW2. MW1 wasn't as graphics heavy, and your laptop could handle that. Get a new graphics card, look on the back of the CD case.
November 13, 2009 10:45:24 AM

cKlos11 said:
What that means is that you're laptop's hardware can't handle MW2. MW1 wasn't as graphics heavy, and your laptop could handle that. Get a new graphics card, look on the back of the CD case.

Indeed :) 

You're laptop just isn't quite good enough to run MW:2 then.. Maybe you can mess around with the config file but..
November 14, 2009 1:25:42 AM

ooh how i mess around with the config file?? :( 
November 14, 2009 1:26:38 AM

which one is the graphic card :(  sorry i dont know much bout laptop :[
November 15, 2009 7:28:59 AM

ilmlatca said:
which one is the graphic card :(  sorry i dont know much bout laptop :[

I'm sorry, but to me it looks like you're just nog going to get to run MW2 with your current laptop... I suggest you either buy a new laptop/PC or sell the game again.
November 16, 2009 12:53:55 AM

woot i wish i can sell the game but i bought it on steam so GG
November 16, 2009 1:45:58 AM

hallowed_dragon said:

Coming from someone who doesn't own a Mac, you need to chill. The Mac vs. PC debate is annoying. The main problem of a Mac is their value, (function and performance to dollar ratio), but that is subjective. That is like saying anyone who buys a Porsche Boxster S is an idiot for not buying a Nissan 370z because the 370z spanks the Boxster on the track and is 30% cheaper. The problem with that is, people don't go "Holy **** a Nissan!", they go "Holy **** a Porsche!" Also Macs ARE easier to use and are more simplistic, now an automatic vs manual transmission analogy works here to. Many people would prefer the manual because, it gets better fuel economy, in the right hands can allow a car to accelerate quicker, and is much more fun. On the other hand, some people just prefer the automatic because it is easier and doesn't really suffer THAT much in return.

For the record, I would go with the Nissan 370z and a manual transmission any day, but that is just my opinion.
November 16, 2009 4:54:21 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Coming from someone who doesn't own a Mac, you need to chill. The Mac vs. PC debate is annoying. The main problem of a Mac is their value, (function and performance to dollar ratio), but that is subjective. That is like saying anyone who buys a Porsche Boxster S is an idiot for not buying a Nissan 370z because the 370z spanks the Boxster on the track and is 30% cheaper. The problem with that is, people don't go "Holy **** a Nissan!", they go "Holy **** a Porsche!" Also Macs ARE easier to use and are more simplistic, now an automatic vs manual transmission analogy works here to. Many people would prefer the manual because, it gets better fuel economy, in the right hands can allow a car to accelerate quicker, and is much more fun. On the other hand, some people just prefer the automatic because it is easier and doesn't really suffer THAT much in return.

For the record, I would go with the Nissan 370z and a manual transmission any day, but that is just my opinion.

=/ That's a really weird way of putting it... But I can't agree more. It's all about a person's choice.
December 2, 2009 11:42:37 PM

look, i can run MW2 on the 2.8Ghz model just fine, it just requires a little bit of overclocking to turn the 9600m into a 9700m.

And, get smcFanControl, that allows you to get the Mac fans up to maximum, which is really needed...
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

Basically, start into OS X, gear the fans up (you can hear the fans when it's at max)
and RESTART (not SHUT DOWN), then boot into Windows

only problem is that if you sleep the mac while under bootcamp, the fans are reset to really low rpms, which is not good, and you have to boot back to OS X to reset the fans back up to high.

then, google nTune or nvidia system control panel, then download it.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.02.h...

As for overclocking, basically it's
625 core
800 memory
1550 shader

the 9600m and the 9700m are the same chip, just that the 9700m is a higher-clocked one. Might as well OC it to 9700m clocks.

(Ya, Apple makes decent laptops, but the price is retarded. i essentially have a $1200 laptop charged for $2000, and i got mine as a graduation present...)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 4:56:14 PM

hallowed_dragon said:

Response: Because it's SHINY!!! And we little weasles like SHINY STUFF!!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 8:51:21 PM

Quote:
Response: Because it's SHINY!!! And we little weasles like SHINY STUFF!!

The car analogy is good. Except Nissans are very well built. Its more like comparing a Fiat/Ford/Peugot build quality to that of a Mercedes.

If you compare a MacBook Pro to a Dell or an Acer, its more like comparing a Kia to a Rolls Royce.

Pretty or not, fast or not, Macs are VERY well built.

You think the raw materials in an £80k Merc cost that much more than than those in a £15k family saloon? They really don't.

The original MacBook Pro was the fastest windows laptop in the world when it came out. Even against PCs with 'identical' specs. I won't even begin to suggest that you can't beat the performance of a Mac Pro for a fraction of the price though. I have considered it myself, but aside from the odd game, I would still run it as a hackintosh though. Windows makes me want to kill people.
September 14, 2010 12:57:03 AM

i ran bootcamp on my mac book prond installed windows 7. then i used vmware fusion to run my dual booted partition virtually. so i have the option of running virtually or using str8 windows for all my system resources...everything runs great.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 1:00:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!