Unable to connect to wireless network at startup

sciesielski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hello,
I'm running windows 7 starter on an Asus netbook. When I start my computer it is not able to connect to my wireless network unless I unplug the router and then plug it in again. I also have a Dell that is running Windows 7 professional, but it doesn't require me to unplug the router for it to connect. It connects automatically. Any ideas of what I need to do to avoid unplugging and replugging the router every time? Thanks

Ok, then I would recommend you do a hard reset on the router. Press and hold the reset button on the back for about 10 seconds (w/ the power on). This will disable any wireless security you had established previously, but you can easily add that back. Let's get the router back to a good, known state, because 99% of the time these routers just work correctly out of the box. It's always possible something was inadvertently changed, so better to start w/ a clean slate.

sciesielski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Ok, I did a hard reset and I was able to get my netbook to connect. Once I unplug the router I don't usually have any problems getting the computer to reconnect even if I shut down the computer and restart it. It seems like unplugging the router is something I only have to do once a day. Now that the netbook is connected, I won't know if everything has worked until tomorrow. Thanks for your help, and I'll let you know tomorrow how things are looking. Thanks again.

sciesielski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I believe that did it. I didn't think it would be a router issue since my other computer had no problem connecting, but it appears that's exactly what it was. I've had no problem connecting with either computer since I did the hard reset. Thanks for your advice!

Great. I hope you reenabled wireless security too!