Phenom ii x4 Overheating under load?

holi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
So yesterday I was bored and decided to lightly OC my phenom ii x4 955 to 3.8 just by raising the multiplier and the temps were fine, not higher than 55C under load. I then pushed the multiplier way down and increased the fsb to around 240 (can't remember exactly : /) so that it ran at 3.4Ghz. All was going fine at idle, and temps were about 48C idle but when i ran prime the temps started rocketing up and reach 67C under max load. Is this too high for a phenom? Should i consider reducing the overclock? And plus the most hardcore thing i do on this computer is gaming which doesn't stress the cpu much anyway.

So it would be great if you guys could shed some light about this,
Thanks a lot!

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
It's too hot, yes. ( 67C is too hot at least)

Your FSB makes everything run faster, so unless you have a specific reason for using the FSB, you should probably just stick to the CPU multiplier.

48C is way too high for idle. That would be a good load temp. Get a third-party heatsink. A $35 Hyper 212 EVO would be nice if you case is big enough. Alternately, just drop the FSB back down and stick to the CPU multiplier; that should be just fine performance-wise.

TRENDING THREADS