Gateway LT21 series netbook RAM upgrade problem

soccrpal

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
First of all:

WHY DOES THE BACKSPACE BUTTON NAVIGATE TO THE PAGE LAST VIEWED, ERASING ALL THAT I HAVE TYPED?!?!?

More to the point:

I recently purchased a Gateway LT2113u netbook from Newegg: Link w/specs.

I also purchased a PNY 2GB ddr2-pc5300 667 MHz RAM upgrade: Newegg link.

When I opened my netbook, I powered it on and it started up just fine. I then swapped out the 1GB stick of RAM with the 2GB "upgrade" and now it no longer boots. It goes straight to the Windows Loading screen and then suddenly reboots again. Bad RAM most likely?

However, the netbook boots properly into Safe Mode. (Mind you, there is only one RAM slot in this netbook) I can then navigate to the computer properties and check to see that it registers all 1.99GB of the RAM, it simply will not boot normally. I also tried a live boot of Ubuntu 9.10 and a Windows PE live boot, neither of which will load. Yet for some reason it works in safe mode and registers 2GB in the BIOS menu. I did a memtest which ran through several passes finding no problems with the RAM.

My roommate also bought a similar netbook from the Gateway LT21 series and when he got a different (but same exact model) PNY 2GB RAM upgrade, his failed as well. So we're at a bit of a loss.

Could it be a problem with the backwards compatibility of the RAM? How is it booting into Safe Mode with bad RAM?!

Is there any RAM out there that has been confirmed to work with this series of Gateway netbooks?

I would like 2 GB because I'm trying to upgrade to W7 Home Premium (and we all know how much fun that will be with 1GB of RAM)

Solution
G
Just thought Ill confirm that it seems the new netbooks with the n450 atom processor can only take the faster memory of DDR2 6400 800mhz.

I had a problem with a Packard Bell dot s2 netbook upgrading to 2g ram. Looking at the specifications it implied a ram speed of 667Mhz. I purchasing a DDR2 667Mhz module from Maplins but it failed to boot up. I got a replacement but again it failed. Looking at what was installed - It was a 1G 6400 666?

I then contacted PB technical support and they confirmed that a DDR2 667 should work and suggested the netbook must be faulty.

Luckely I read this thread. I took a gamble and purchased a DDR2 6400 800 2G module and it worked. THANKS!!! :bounce:

soccrpal

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Here's the deal! I've ben using crucial for years! I love that website. I go there before any manufacturers website becuase it's easier to use than EVERY manufacturers website. But even Crucial is more expensive than newegg. You can usually even find crucial memory for sale cheaper on newegg. I check what memory I need and then I buy that type of RAM on newegg. It's the most economical way to buy ram for a computer.

EMERALD, I checked the same RAM for sale at MemoryStock and compared it to the RAM i bought and it has the EXACT same specs. I even checked the Kingston equivalent on newegg and it was almost $20 cheaper with free shipping on newegg. I'm curious if my netbook just hates PNY ram or there's a little detail I'm overlooking.

buck_necked

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I have been frantically trying to upgrade my Gateway LT2104u to 2G of memory, and I'm experiencing the same frustration as many out there. Ordered two different kinds of SODIMM from both Amazon and Crucial.com. I next purchased the 2G upgrade by Crucial as recommended on their website = DOES NOT WORK. Install memory, turn on, black screen...NO POST. Most frustrating thing I've ever come across in 10+ years of building/upgrading.

Emerald, can you verify that the System Specific Memory linked in your post will work with the Gateway machine? I'm getting tired of buying what should work with the machine but just doesn't. Or, can you clarify a bit about the "PIN out" type of memory? Googling that doesn't give me the answers I'm looking for.

Sorry I cannot verify that it works since I don't have this kind of laptop. However I went to the Kingston website and used their memory search tool. I searched for LT21 series and copy the part number into the newegg search. Kingstone wanted $120 for it.

Regarding the PIN out:

On some some of the memories the order of the 200 PINs have been changed. for example:

Regular memory might use PINs 68 - 100 as the data bus, whereby special memory might use PINs 168 - 200 as data bus.

For exact pin out you will have to refer to the spec sheets of the different memories.

Brand name computers used to use special memory all the time in the 1990's, and it would cost about twice to three times as much as the regular one. Nice way to make money and drive customers mad.

buck_necked

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Thanks for the reply, Emerald. I just got off the phone w/ Crucial again, and their rep kept saying "Well, there's only a 9% return rate on that module" - Maybe, but that's only because ~10% of the people actually follow through with the RMA process, and the others are probably Ebay/Craigslisting because they don't want to deal with the hassle and potential restocking fees (depending on where they order it from) Crucial is like 15 minutes from my house, and I've used their stuff for years, but I have to flat-out shout this...

To zipzoomfly, soccrpal or ANYBODY w/ a 2104u out there trying to upgrade to 2G - The two Crucial modules guaranteed to work don't. Been there, done nothing but sit there w/ a black screen.

Gonna pull the trigger on this Kingston memory from Newegg that emerald suggested, despite the fact that Newegg had it listed as a 240-pin SODIMM module. For anyone out there chasing this same Holy Grail of trying to get this great Gateway notebook to work w/ 2G in it, I swear I will hold an online celebration just short of animal sacrifice if this new Kingston module works.

Everywhere I look this memory has 200 PINs even on the images on the Newegg website. Everything matches the info on the Kingston website except the number of PINs.

Best thing to do is call Newegg an have them confirm that there are only 200 PINs on the module.

buck_necked

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Contacted Newegg about that very thing; they quickly passed the buck back to me and said that I needed to contact Kingston since NE gets all their information straight from the manufacturer. Fine... another semi-wasted phone call, but at least it brought me to call Kingston.

The Kingston rep said they would get with the proper Newegg rep and get that changed. She also said the 200-pin information is not on the webpage as seen by the consumer, but that it IS a 200-pin SODIMM. I guess we'll see...

I'm willing to take the chance, because as much as I like this new netbook, it is a crime against nature to handcuff it with only 1 gig of RAM.

Hell, I've been trying to find A-Data memory that would work in it, since that's what the OEM 1G stick is that came with my machine. But, maybe they get their memory from different vendors... I don't know ~

soccrpal

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I contacted PNY customer support and told them my netbook model, and the RAM I bought. I asked them if the RAM I bought was incompatible or if it was faulty...then asked them which RAM of theirs I should buy if had had bouht the wrong kind. Their reply from "Technical Support" was ever so enlightening:

Thank you for contacting Technical Support.

In reviewing your message, I understand our 2GB DDR2 chip is not working in your laptop.

Since it’s not listed in our online memory configurator it’s possible it’s not compatible with your laptop.

I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused. You should be able to return it to the place of purchase.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will
be happy to assist you further.

Regards

PNY TECHNICAL SUPPORT

My 30 day RMA period expired so I cannot return this RAM to my 'place of purchase.' Now I'm stuck with a awesome 2GB stick of green silicon yay!

Moral of the story: We can now check off PNY for having any campatible RAM with the Gateway LT21 series netbooks

And the quest continues...until I get another update.

soccrpal

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
The RAM upgrade problem I had been having has been SOLVED!

The newegg equivalent of the RAM i purchased is here

While at Best Buy, I decided to share the issues with them and told them what laptop I have and that I wanted to upgrade to 2g of RAM. I watched the guy navigate to crucial.com and then he told me that the RAM i was holding in my hand should work in my laptop. I cordially replied by saying "I agree." We then walked over to the shelf and I decide to play memory roulette. I told him that I will buy some RAM, install it, and if it doesn't work, return it right here on the spot and keep trying until I find one that works. So I pull the old RAM out of my laptop and notice the label says it's 1GB Kingston RAM pc2-6400 800MHz. Now...why oh why would they brag about these new netbooks wielding a "faster" 667 MHz RAM and ship it with 800 MHz RAM?! It seems like a marketing fail to me! Using my newfound konwledge, I bought a Kingston pc2-6400 800MHz equivalent. I installed the new 2gb stick in my computer and wouldn't you know it: IT WORKS!!!!!

So if you are having the same problem with RAM upgrades that I was, this solved my problem. It seems (in my specific scenario) to be a marketing oversight and buying 667 RAM just wasn't compatible with my netbook. Which explains why people who haphazardly buy ram that is already compatible at 667 AND 800MHz speeds, aren't having the same problem as I was.

Here is a link to EXACTLY what I bought from Best Buy. As we all know: ram is ram so if you buy it from newegg you save $25 and get the same thing. It all comes down to compatibility...even the speed of the RAM.

I hope this helps Buck_Necked. Good luck

buck_necked

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
As I sit here waiting for Newegg to send me the 4th memory chip I've tried that's supposedly 100% compatible with my 2104... sounds like I'll get to utilize that mandatory 15% RMA fee for the first time. Yeehaw - enjoy pi$$ing away dollars on a quest that could've (correction...SHOULD have) been explained on Gateway's website first, and then Crucial's errant website second.

But Soccrpal, I totally appreciate you working the Best Buy angle and providing the information about the RAM. I'm glad to hear you've got your machine working the way you want. Is it noticeably faster? I plan to use mine extensively with Microsoft Streets/Trips and GPS as I'm forced to go to Michigan this summer for my sister-in-law's redonkulously expensive wedding.

Anyhow, if this Newegg stuff that should be here in a day or two works, I'll post again. I'm leaning towards not, so I'll then order up your Kingston recommendation. Thanks again, Soccrpal ~

buck_necked

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Emerald and Soccrpal: The search is over, and many thanks for taking the time to post. I'm typing this on my newly upgraded 2104u. The System Specific Memory linked by Emerald from Newegg DOES work. {Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 System Specific Memory Model M25664F50} I wish there was some way to tell the entire internet community of the issues with this machine and its tempestuous relationship with much of the DDR2 RAM out there. But order up some of this Kingston stuff from Newegg, and it'll work fine! Outta here - I hope this forum pops up for anyone else who was like me a month ago...

G

Just thought Ill confirm that it seems the new netbooks with the n450 atom processor can only take the faster memory of DDR2 6400 800mhz.

I had a problem with a Packard Bell dot s2 netbook upgrading to 2g ram. Looking at the specifications it implied a ram speed of 667Mhz. I purchasing a DDR2 667Mhz module from Maplins but it failed to boot up. I got a replacement but again it failed. Looking at what was installed - It was a 1G 6400 666?

I then contacted PB technical support and they confirmed that a DDR2 667 should work and suggested the netbook must be faulty.

Luckely I read this thread. I took a gamble and purchased a DDR2 6400 800 2G module and it worked. THANKS!!! :bounce:

Solution
G

Here is a new angle for ya! I bought two Gateway LT 2104u's and one has bios version 1.06 and will take any 2 gig stick I put in it. the other with bios version 1.12 will not take any 2 gig sticks.
So don't upgrade to a newer bios if your 2 gig machine works now!!!
I took the 1.12 machine back and exchanged it for another and same deal will not boot with 2 gig memory and it has the 1.12 bios!

G

I've tried to upgrade my lt21 ... it's got a 1.10 bios ... no go for the 2GIG ram.
The gateway support person said that upgrading memory is NOT supported.
I'm returning it tomorrow.

LoneStar52

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I went through the same aggravation and frustration of trying to upgrade the memory in my Gateway LT 2119u.

I tried pc5300 and pc 6400 sticks, neither would work. Gateway's customer (non) support was absolutely no help. They basically said that if I wanted to upgrade the memory I was on my own and the only way they would provide help was if I went through their pay-as-you-go support system. No way in hell I'm gonna pay for support on a brand new laptop!

I was about to give up and grin and bear it with the 1 gb oem stick and slow-as-molasses Windows 7 when I stumbled upon Acer's support site and discovered that the Acer One A532H is the same machine under the skin as my Gateway. I decided to risk flashing the BIOS to the latest version available (ver1.24) from Acer, as no BIOS updates are available from Gateway.

After downloading and extracting the update I held my breath and clicked on the .exe file. After a minute or so the machine rebooted and loaded Windows and I finally exhaled before I fainted! :pt1cable: After verifying that the new BIOS installed properly I shut the machine down and installed a stick of GSkill ddr2 pc6400 800mhz and booted up the netbook. Low and behold - IT WORKS! :sol:

The extra 1 gb of ram makes all the difference in the world. Windows 7 no longer drags and stutters and the boot up times have decreased dramatically.

I am now a happy man again.

deblblair

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

Hi to Buck_necked and everyone else having this problem, Emerald, Soccrpal, and the last posting of Anonymous:

I read your posting a little while ago but I was having a problem after trying to upgrade my Gateway LT 2104u to the 2GB getting the original 1gb module to work. I was talking with saint19 who helped me get the netbook working again. I thought that all would be OK after reading all the posts as I already had problems with upgrading a Patriot 2gb 5300-667, the black screen of hell and then to the PNY 6400-800 and then the crucial 6400-800 all 200 pin. After reading all the emails from everyone I figured that the 6400-800 would work. Well, guess not, I have the same memory module in my LT 2104 that you do buck_necked the ADATA 1gb 6400-S-666. I have been in email contact with them to help me, but at the end of about one week of emails and pictures of all cards to them and the posts from you thewy said the 800 or 667 should work! NOT! I then asked them the actual module doesn't make sense to me how can the 6400s-666 be? It should be the 800 not the 666 or 667? since the had the actual picture that I took of the original card I thought they could look up their numbers serials, etc. Well in one email back to me from ADATA this is what they wrote we did find some information for you on the card. The module was DDR 533 (PC2 4200 / PC2 4300 total capacity is 512. There was noting special about the module, so I can use DDR2 667 (PC2 5300 / PC2 5400 or DDR2 (PC2 6400) Run a memtest86 to see if ram is bad and I may want to contact Gateway They then stated that this netbook LT 2104 does not suuport a 2gb they found that on the gateway website only the LT3 series shows 2GB and also after seeing the reviews on Toms Hardware. there is no where on this site does it state that.

So I contacted Gateway they suggested I try a module with the 6400s-666 as shown on the ADATA original module. It may just work? Or I asked them if I should try getting a 2gb 4200 but ADATA didnt state the speed of this module in the email.

Now the question. I noticed that there are 2 different answers in all the reply's. The kingston seemed to work from what I gather after reading again. I have tried all the speeds without success, and I know how everyone feels. I have another crucial module coming, tomorrow, the 667 since the 800n didn't work, but I am sure that won't work.

I have been working on this for going on 2 months now and had a few more problems than what has been posted, but I just want to upgrade to the 2gb. Is the correct module the Kingston 2gb 6400=800 or the 5300/5400-667? I noticed that buck_necked uses the informatyion on the post 5-8-10 @gb 240-pin DDR2SDRAM DDR2 M25664F50? Or is this the one labeled incorrectly on the Newegg site?

Please, I am so confused at this point I am not really sure which one has been working for all, but especially for buck_necked becuase you have the same original module as I have that came with this netbook the ADATA module.

Is it the Kingston card that works and which one is it? Thank you for any additional information you can help with I don't want to have to order the 4200/4300 or the 6400S-666 as Gateway suggested. If the Kinsgton works it should solve it. Am I the last one still having problems?

Gateway did say that if the 2 modules we discussed didn't work he would have the techs work on solving the problem, but that could take another month by the time I get all the modules tyr them return them and then get with gateway again.

PLEASE HELP ME. THANK YOU BUCK_naked AND SOCCRPAL AND EMERAL AND ANONYMOUS. i WILL WAIT FOR YOUR ANSWERS PATIENTLY......

Ael

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I have a Gateway LT21 and have installed a 2gb ram as well. It worked once I updated the Bios to 1.25 (latest), but once you restart the PC it is only recognized as 1GB in both the Bios and Windows.

If I swap the ram to 1GB, turn on... turn off....swap back to 2GB, it is recognized properly again until it is restarted again.
CPU-Z still recognizes 2GB. Just not Windows or Bios.

Any ideas what is going on here?

cesario26

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
OK - I was encountering the same exact issue with my Gateway LT2104u netbook. I purchased Corsair 800mhz 2GB RAM and tried to install it. With my version of the BIOS, it did not even post at first.

I upgraded to 1.25 and it booted into Windows, but it only read as 1GB. To make a long story short, I flashed the BIOS several times to different versions, and found that BIOS version 1.24 loaded windows AND was recognized at 2.0GB. FINALLY! Hope this helps.

cesario26

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Roll back the version, downgrade to BIOS version 1.24 . This worked for me!