build

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I don't really understand your question. Do you want to do a RAID set-up or you just want to get the hard drive working? If it's the latter, you just connect the hard drive to the motherboard through a SATA cable and then power up your PC. Go to disk management, right click on your new hard drive and click format (it's called "new simple volume" if your OS is Windows 7).

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
How many hard drives do you have?
If you are putting the drives in a raid and installing Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you have to put a raid drivers on a floppy or USB stick and install them when Windows asks for the raid drivers.. You have to created the array in the bios first before you can install windows.

The ASUS boards have the raid drivers on the driver cd so you'll need to put the disc into a computer and extract them first. I believe there is a utility
to create raid drivers on the cd.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
If you have one hard drive, then there shouldn't be any configuration involved. When you install Windows, it will do everything for you. If it's Windows 7, it will create 2 partitions by default. One for system reserve and one for the boot partition. Also, make sure there's no jumpers on the hard drive.

zimmer04

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If I do RAID and need to create the drivers to install, will the installation let me use a thumb drive to put the drivers on at the beginning of the windows install? I didn't get a floppy drive so that isn't an option, although I can run out and get one if I need to.