quxote

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Hello helpful folks,

i previously posted in the forum asking the questions of what Dell to get. Here is the original thread.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273698-28-dell-overwhelmed-choices#t2044034

After some time reading the replies Some suggested a Cyberpower PC. I think i might decide to go that option. I know that building your own will save some money but to be honest, I dont have the patience to go that route. I've read reviews for CyberpowerPC and some were bad and some were good. I think I might roll the dice and see how they are.

Here is my question. I have a $1800 budget for a PC, That must include a Monitor at least 23 inches, an all in one card reader and more then one firewire port. Extra USB ports (hopefully around 6-8). I would also like the Logitech g15 keyboard and the Logitech MX518 mouse and 1TB hard drive. and at least i7-920 CPU

Looking at the CyberPower website the decisions are overwhelming....things like, cooling, noise reduction etc etc.

Can someone help me with the choices here? Maybe build the system if you were me knowing those options?

I noticed that you can save the configurations on the site...that would be most helpful

Thanks
Quxote

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Viper Build $1796

I am going to list only the parts that I have changed. Here is the link to the full set up: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saving/show.aspx?id=2403790

Power Supply: Corsair 650 Watts CMPSU-650TX
Venom Boost: Pro OC
Memory: 6GB PC1333 Corsair Dominator
Video Card: GeForce GTS 250 1GB
LCD Monitor: Asus 24” LCD
Optical Drive 2: LG 22X DVD RW drive

Page 2:
Keyboard: G15
Mouse: MX518
External Wireless: Linksys 802.11a/b/g/n Draft usb

Page 3:
Office Suite: None
Ultra Car Option: CoolerMaster Thermal Compound

The setup has 8 usb ports, 2 firewire, and comes with a card reader. The setup also has liquid cooling.

fleecejohnson

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hi Pro Llama,

You seem to know your way around Cyberpower systems. Would you be so kind as to glance at my proposed specs (around $2k w/o monitor)? I'd be forever grateful!

Hi all,

I've been in the market for a $2,000 gaming rig for a while now, and while I was leaning toward an Alienware, I've become interested in Cyberpower -- seems like more bang for the buck, plus named components (which Alienware et al. don't seem to offer.

Would anyone be so kind as to take a glance at my specs (below) and give me their thoughts before I pull the trigger? Thanks VERY much in advance! :)

CoolerMaster Elite 310 Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel
Intel® Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
(3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio
12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Modul
Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels
Power Supply Gasket
Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts
Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more)
Asetek LCLC 120 Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 1792MB 16X PCIe Video Card
XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready 700W Power Supply
2TB (2TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HD
2x LG 22X DVD±/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium

Thanks for looking!
Evan

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

In game you will see no difference between the i7-960 and the i7-930. Personally I would save some money there and go with 2 HD 5850 in crossfire. I like the HD 5850 over the GTX275. Over all it is a good build, but if you have the time I would suggest building your own. You would be able to build a better system for less. Also if you want more input on this system you may want to start a new thread, because a lot of people my over look this.

fleecejohnson

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Thanks very much for the reply. I actually did start a new thread for just that purpose, and several people echoed your advice on both the video card and building it myself. Lacking the time (or inclination) to build it myself, I was ready to go with Cyberpower, but they're backordered on the HD 5850, and Corsair RAM, AND the case that I wanted, so I'm back to square one. (My conversation with a sales associate didn't fill me with confidence either.)

I think I might try to find and hire a local (San Diego) geek to work with me to put a really killer system together. ;)

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

No problem, I hope everything works out well.

spiritman

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

The one component in your system that you may want to re-consider is the PSU. The PSU is essentially the "fuel source" for the computer, and the one you are planning to buy is not up to the quality of your other components. The Corsair PSU's have been very well reviewed, are at least 80% power efficient, and well-built. For your system, I'd opt for the Corsair 850 watt PSU as a MINIMUM.