How to choose a motherboard

Wolters

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hello,

I am going to build a new computer which main purpose will be to host a backend Access database and also do some back up jobs.

I will also use four HDD configured as RAID 5.

So I guess my greatest concern is durability/stability and the RAID possibility... So what motherboard would be most suitable for this kind of purpose?

And, BTW, what, apart from read-performance from the HDD:s are most crucial for the Access database performance? Amount of RAM, or CPU speed?

Regards,

Dag

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

For a better advice we need more information about your rig.

1- AMD or Intel?
2- What budget do you have?
3- Always is better a RAID card for the RAID that the onboard RAID
4- All the new mobos comes with RAID option, so, that's not a problem.

Wolters

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Thanks!

1. I am not sure at all about processors, but the four previous computers I build was with Intel processors. As the main objective is to build something very stable and that will run 24/7, I would like the processor, as well as the mobo, to be of really high quality.

2. The budget is not an issue really. But as the computer will not be used for gaming at all, the money will be spent on other qualities necessary to hoast the Accessdatabase and make it run as well as possible without interuption.

3. If an RAID card is significantly better than onboard RAID, I would very much appreciate suggestions for this as well!!! I was thinking of using four discs in a RAID 5 configuration.

4. We are three people in the office that are using the Access database from time to time, and not very often all of us at the SAME time, so as I do not know what the difference would be using the onboard RAID option vs. using a RAID card in our specific situation, I really would be glad if you could give me some information that will help me decide!

Thanks in advance!

Dag

1- Like the rig isn't for gaming, u can go with AMD and Gigabyte. Both are high quality and and good price.
2- What HD do you have?
3- Ok, the RAID onboard will be good if only one person access the database. The high-end mobos have a very good RAID controller, so, u can go with this or buy a RAID card. Some are really expensinve ($300).

Wolters

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Thanks Saint19,

2. We have not chosen HD yet, so your suggestion of HD which will run 24/7 are most welcome!
3. Do you have any specific mobo in mind?

Regards,

Dag

1- What size is the database?, could be Samsung spinpoint F3 500GB or 1TB. Or Seagate 7200.12 500GB or 1TB too.
2- Could be a Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 ($179.99) or 890FXA-UD7 (not available yet) with a Phenom II X6 1055T ($199.99)

Wolters

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Thanks alot saint19!

Are there any difference between AMD and Intel as far as reliability, stability and quality are concerned?

Not for your needs, maybe for games, but even in games some people prefer AMD (like me)

AMD is a very good manufacturer, but Intel have more experience in the market and is more comercial because many of the computers manufacturers use Intel processor for their rigs.