Problems with upgraded system

G

Hi there,
today I have attempted to replace my motherboard, RAM and processor in my computer and although am able to get into my previous XP installation I am having a few problems:
I cannot get the dvd drive to open at all so i cannot put in any disks for driver installation so no internet access etc.
My USB keyboard/mouse are not working (odd as haven't needed drivers for these in the past)
I am now using:
Gigabyte P55 UD-2 Motherboard
Nvidia 8800 Ultra graphics card
4GB Corsair 1600mhz RAM
Intel i5 750 CPU

Thanks

G

That would require the disk drive to open, which is not currently working

Are you sure the power connector for the DVD drive is secure? Does the light on the drive turn on when you turn the computer on?

You may need to enable USB mouse/keyboard support in the BIOS. For some reason some motherboards come with it disabled.

G

The light on the drive doesn't turn on but i can't notice anything wrong with the power connectors. There are 2 connectors coming out of it, there is a wide and thin one that is a band-type one with a lot of pins 2x10 or so connected to the mobo and then there is a small one on the right of it connected from the PSU, the dvd drive and the PSU haven't changed in this upgrade and as far as I am aware I haven't changed the connectors used :S

If the light on the drive doesn't light up then the drive isn't receiving power. I would press on the power cable that runs from the drive to the PSU to make sure it didn't become dislodged when you installed the new motherboard.

G

Argh, wth, haven't changed anything and now when my pc powers up nothing comes up on the screen and after about 10 seconds of me turning it on it shuts down then powers itself up again a couple seconds later continually.

Sounds like you need to go through all the steps in this checklist to troubleshoot your problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

The problem is likely that your DDR3 1600 RAM needs more than the DDR3 standard 1.5v. You may need to reset the CMOS and then manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS.

You could also possibly have a short somewhere. I would also perform the breadboarding step in the checklist to eliminate a short as your problem.

G

Right yesterday i bought a new disk drive and hooked it up and everything was working, I got into windows and was happily playing games for a few hours. But i come home today and turn it on and it is doing the same thing again, I press the boot up button, the LEDs on my keyboard/mouse flicker on and immediately off again and the computer keeps whirring for about 5-10 seconds then turns itself off, only to boot itself up again 3 seconds later. This will continually go on and on :S

G

And how do i reset the CMOS/change the RAM settings in the BIOS?

G

OK i've supposedly reset the CMOS by putting a screwdriver over the reset things for 5 sec but still to no avail, it still continually reboots. I don't know if this makes any difference, but when I turn the pc on, the screen's on light(nothing comes up on the screen either) and the mouse and keyboard LEDs do not light up like they would if it was booting properly, what makes this more frustrating is how i got it to load up fine yesterday by simply just leaving it booting continually for awhile, I went back to it and it was in Windows working fine.

G

Nope, i dont see how I can do that if the computer doesn't even boot