Install 1 sdd and 1 hdd pls help solve !

testinglife

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Hi i have the os installed on the SDD and now want to install my hdd. So i plugged it in and turned on the computer but it doesn't recognize another drive..... Do i have to install the windows 7 OS on both Drives ? or is there something else i'm supposed to do ? I basically just want the HDD as a storage device. Also this is a second example i need answered haha my sdd needs to be upgrade but can't be the primary drive. If i don't install an OS on the HDD can i still make it a primary drive to update my SDD firmware ? or do i need a OS to do that ?

larkspur

Distinguished

If the HDD isn't dead and it is properly connected to the motherboard and power cable then you should be able to see the empty drive in Windows Start Menu -> Computer. It will be a separate volume with its own drive letter (other than C ).

You don't need to install the OS on the HDD since it is already on your SSD. If you indeed hooked everything up correctly then it sounds like you may have received a dead HDD. Try using another port on the motherboard, maybe a different cable. And make sure you have plugged in the power cable.