Need Help on setting up EYEFINITY!!!

bubbatran209

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I just bought the HD 5770 and been doing some research on setting up the triple monitor using the eyefinity for this card. Has anybody set up the triple monitor yet? I read a little bit about using a display port to dvi but also something else about an active display port. Can I just buy an adapter? Display port to DVI then connect it straight to my comp monitor?

bubbatran209

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Check the screen to see if it is a DVI-D, I know the DVI slots on the ATI cards are also dual link. If so then get DVI-D cables, I got some relatively cheap ones from Amazon.com.

That DisplayPort to DVI adapter needs power in order to work, hence it being an ‘active’ adapter, it gets is power through the USB cable.

Yea a few have been able to get thier eye-finity setup ready with that 20$ adapter, not sure why there is so much confusion as to what is needed for such a setup. Doesnt the 5XXX series come with instructions on how to configure eye-finity?

rnalvine

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I purchased a 5870 a couple months back, shortly after their release - and, yes there was some bare-bones info on Eyefinity, but it didn't cover many of the details. (Likewise, the original drivers were pretty primitive.)

Since I hadn't budgeted any extra $$$ for new monitors at the time, working with more than the two old lcd's I already had wasn't a major concern. (Setting-up & oc'ing the new rig were enough to occupy my forebrain).

Now I'm checking into making eyefinity work and learning that the existing info on the net is contradictory and still not very clear.

Plus, since not that many pc monitors currently have native displayport connections (and I refuse to ever again give any business to Dell.... ever), my choices appear limited without the use of an adapter.

Spending $20 on a basic plug-in adapter is palatable, but dropping $100 for a simple adapter smells like raep.

Exactly^^, not sure what AMD was thinking but look at my point. A 5750/5770 will run you around 150.00$/175.00$ depending where you purchase. The so called adapter is 100.00$ and 2 more monitors will cost around 450.00$. That is almost 750.00$ :eek: lol .... With that amount of cash you can get a 5970 and forget about the 3 screen gimmick...I mean if AMD would have done a bit more work on the dev. side it would have been well worth it seeing that we dont have to sell an arm and a leg to get a 3 screen setup...

It doesn't need to be an active adapter if the resolution is below 1920x1200 like the 1920x1080 of the OP, then it's single link and it should be fine with a passive adapter.

NinjaTix

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
You can also use a well tested or validated DisplayPort to VGA adapter for around $50 like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300430542583

Some don't really work too well though so make sure any you pick up are validated or tested because there are some issues with DisplayPort to VGA adapters (or even the active DVI adapters) flickering or having some issues with resolution changes.

Th Reason why the DP to DVI won't work unless it is active is because it needs its own DVI clock signal, the radeon 5000 series only has two such clocks which both HDMI and DVI utilize, Active DP to DVI connectors may have this clock but may also have some issues with flickering same with DP to VGA, just stick with something tested. I can vouch for the DP to VGA adapter on ebay, works 100%.