Sign in with
Your question

Settings for re-installed IDE drives?

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2009 5:52:42 PM

Hi, Guys.

I have an ageing Abit IC7-Max3 based P4 system with 2 SATA WD 250GB hard drives installed, a SATA DVD burner, and a PATA DVD burner. All running under Vista Business.

I also have 3 PATA WD 250GB drives in 3 Coolermaster X-Craft USB external cases. The Coolermaster I/O boards have fouled up, corrupting a lot of data on the drives, so I'm going to move them back into the desktop case. This is only temporary whilst I then assess and recover the damaged data, back everything up and upgrade with a new motherboard, CPU and OS.

What I need to know is;

What jumper settings should I set on the PATA drives for re-installation? They'll be running on the IDE channels, and I'm assuming the OS will still boot as normal from the SATA drives?

Your help is greatly appreciated, etc.
November 5, 2009 4:30:20 AM

I'm really sorry, but isn't that information on your motherboard's manual?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2009 5:14:52 PM

General rules for PATA drives.
1. Each IDE port on the mobo can accommodate up to 2 IDE (PATA) devices. To do that you need a data cable with 3 connectors - 1 to mobo port, 2 for devices. Cable will have 40 pins (holes, really) in the 3 connectors, but should have 80 wires in it - called an 80-conductor ribbon cable.
2. Since the port handles two devices, each needs to be uniquely identified. For this you set jumpers on pins on the back edge of the drive, between the 4-pin Molex power input connector and the 40-pin data connector. Usually there are diagrams on the drive, but if missing go to manufacturer's website. There MUST be ONE device with its jumpers set to Master (Or Master with No Slave, or With Slave Present, depending on your circumstance, if those are the options). This device should be connected at the END of the ribbon cable.
3. IF you have a second device on the cable/port, its jumpers MUST be set to Slave; it should be plugged into the middle connector on the ribbon cable.
4. EXCEPTION: Rather than setting Master and Slave specifically, you can set BOTH devices to "CS" for "Cable Select", and then the END one WILL be the Master.
5. All the above concerns ONE IDE port. A second port and its devices are set the same way. A Master on one port has NO relationship to Master or Slave on another port. There is NO "Master of the whole machine".
6. Which device in the overall machine is the boot drive known as C: is determined entirely by what you set in the BIOS Setup screens for Boot Device Priority Sequence. This also has absolutely NOTHING to do with Master or Slave on any IDE port. Make sure your Boot Priority is set the way you need it.
7. If you have both hard drive and optical drive device on one IDE port, ideally the HARD DRIVE should be the Master, and the Optical the Slave.
8. All of this pertains to IDE (PATA) device port(s) only. SATA ports and drives are done separately, and there is NO Master or Slave settings on SATA ports - each of those ports handles only ONE device. (Some SATA drives actually have jumpers on pins for other purposes.)
9. In some BIOS's when you have the SATA port(s) configured to operate in IDE (PATA) Emulation mode, they will show up in BIOS screens as "IDE2 Master", "IDE3 Master", etc, even though they are NOT true IDE devices - they are only pretending to be so. The true IDE devices will be IDE0 Master and Slave, and, IF there is a second IDE port, IDE1 Master and Slave.
November 7, 2009 3:14:05 PM

r-manic> No it isn't.

Paperdoc> Thank you for a very clear and concise reply. I'm all up and running now.
!