Will motherboard post and show bios startup without a HDD isntalled ?+

trinaz

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
If a PC system is running ok...will the bios single beep followed by the bios info screen(s) start normally if you do not have a hard drive connected ?

Trying to trouble shoot a startup issue...is it necessary to have a HDD plugged in to get the first 1 or 2 bios readout screens on startup ? I'm geeting a single post beep and then nothing ?

Thanks, TR

Solution

Hey, I never said that, a faulty controller card on a hard drive can prevent your system from reaching POST as long as the drive is still connected. You asked about disconnected drives, and you don't need to have a drive connected to reach the POST screen.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You don't need any drives attached to see POST.

trinaz

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Thanks guys...so if I am getting only black screens at power on on a previously smooth working system...my problem lies with something other than the HDD ?

I should be able to reach the two AMI bios info screens prior to any OS startup and enter ( via delete key ) the bios settings ?

Thanks, Tim

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Hey, I never said that, a faulty controller card on a hard drive can prevent your system from reaching POST as long as the drive is still connected. You asked about disconnected drives, and you don't need to have a drive connected to reach the POST screen.

Reactions: mladja064
Solution

TRENDING THREADS