Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom x6 1075T and 8 GB RAM Bottleneck

Last response: in Overclocking
March 10, 2012 5:50:28 AM

Hi, I've been using my computer for daily work and I noticed something in my CPU Meter. It says that I'm only using 5%-8% of the CPU but I'm using 85% of my 8 GB RAM. Now, my question is why does it accumulate so much of my RAM but only 5%-8% of the processor? This happens when I'm using MS Office, playing games or tinkering something on Adobe Master Suite like AE, PS and AI.

Is this a bottleneck issue? I'm not really familiar with the term "bottleneck". I'm just curious why is my RAM being used more than my processor always. I haven't seen my processor being use more than 25%.

What do you think is happening here? By the way I only have Palit 1GB DDR2 vga.
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2012 6:52:26 AM

Maybe the CPU is way way better than the RAM. Or in certain cases (I think PS may be one of them) the program just requires more RAM than pure processing power
m
l
March 10, 2012 7:26:56 AM

It's better to have the ram utilized then say, swapping to hdd when using CS5 or other applications. In your case thought, it might be an application that has a memory leak and causes the ram usage to go that high. Background processes eat some ram too so it depends what applications/services you have started. Take a look in the performance monitor, task manager to see what's eating so much memory.
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2012 9:00:15 AM

SpadeM said:
It's better to have the ram utilized then say, swapping to hdd when using CS5 or other applications. In your case thought, it might be an application that has a memory leak and causes the ram usage to go that high. Background processes eat some ram too so it depends what applications/services you have started. Take a look in the performance monitor, task manager to see what's eating so much memory.

What do you mean by swapping to hdd?
m
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 8:13:25 PM

Most programs will sit idle doing virtually nothing the majority of the time they are open, and thus use very little cpu power, so cpu usage will be low. All programs require RAM to start and continue running, so when you have a lot of easy to run programs idle your going to get high RAM usage and low CPU usage.
March 12, 2012 12:50:15 AM

I see. Thanks loneninja. That makes a lot of sense. :) 
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:50:29 AM

Best answer selected by sighlence.
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:51:42 AM

Thanks everyone.
m
l
!