bazza088

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
The bios on my motherboard only recognises 2 out of 4 sata connections eg sata 1 & sata3 if I connect an item to sata 2 or sata 4 they are not recognised Is there a setting on the bios I am missing XP os
Bazza

Solution
1. See if all drives are recognized in the BIOS.
1. If not all are recognized, look for a setting named IDE Native, IDE Legacy or IDE Mode and enable it.
2. Another posible solution is to reinstall the SATA drivers.. look for the driver updates in the manufacturer website, support and downloads.
3. To diagnose possible SATA drive problems: Switch around the SATA cables on the motherboard. EG; interchange cable 1 with 2 and 3 with 4. If drive 2 works on 1 and 1 doesnt work on 2, and the same between 3 and 4, the problem may be in the motherboard, but if drives 2 and 4 dont work on connectors 1 and 3, the drives are probably bad or going bad, and you may be able to make them work by enabling IDE Mode (IDE Native, IDE Legacy or whatever...
1. See if all drives are recognized in the BIOS.
1. If not all are recognized, look for a setting named IDE Native, IDE Legacy or IDE Mode and enable it.
2. Another posible solution is to reinstall the SATA drivers.. look for the driver updates in the manufacturer website, support and downloads.
3. To diagnose possible SATA drive problems: Switch around the SATA cables on the motherboard. EG; interchange cable 1 with 2 and 3 with 4. If drive 2 works on 1 and 1 doesnt work on 2, and the same between 3 and 4, the problem may be in the motherboard, but if drives 2 and 4 dont work on connectors 1 and 3, the drives are probably bad or going bad, and you may be able to make them work by enabling IDE Mode (IDE Native, IDE Legacy or whatever it's named in your BIOS).

Solution

bazza088

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

thanks I'll try this and keep you posted. bazza

bazza088

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Thanks Chicano
I found in the Bios IDE set to legacy I changed this to Native and enable it. On logging in it came up with found new hardware IDE and then recognise the DVD I had connected to the Sata 2 Drive