LGA 775 dead or not?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17300/1/

Discuss please

i'll start

I think it is a slowly dying platform but nowhere near dead, especially in the mid/lower - end segment, hell, in Tom's own monthly gaming CPU charts, there are 775 CPU's that are better than what AMD has to offer and some are even on par with Core i5/i3.

Core 2 was a great architecture, i give it at least 2 more years until it is a dead platform.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I'd say it's a quickly dying platform. If you're in the market for a new PC, don't go 775 as by the time you need to upgrade you're already out of options. If you have a 775 system already then it seems like Intel is just keep some minor upgrade options available while the quad core i5/i7 are still fairly expensive. Overall I would consider socket 775 dead for my purposes, and I see releases more Core 2s as beating a dead horse, but then again some people may want to upgrade from their E5300 without getting a new mother board.

+1,

Even though core 2's arch is still very good, it's time to move on.

It's been 4 years scene intel release core 2's and with core i3/5/s released (also with the core 2's not showing on intels main page anymore) intel is saying it's time to move on.

If we were to keep on staying with the core 2's advancements would come to a halt in the cpu world.

jonpaul from my perspective your right in may ways, but 775 is officially EOL and Intel do not intend to produce any faster / newer CPU's for this socket.

In saying that the 45nm 775 CPU's like the Wolfdale dual cores (Especially the E8xxx's with the 6Mb cache and the the Yorkfield quad cores (with 12Mb caches) and the great little E5 overclockers are more than a match for the Phenom I and II CPU's in a number of areas ... and cheap.

Unfortunately, moving over to a 775 as a new build isn't a great idea.

As a cheap upgrade (getting a mobo free or really cheap) or getting a faster 775 quad (or even a 65nm quad you can overclock like the Q6600) for an older mobo is a good cheap proposition if you can't afford to get either a new i7 / i5 or slightly cheaper Phenon II system.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
To me, i have had nothing but luck with LGA 775 i guess. Got an E8400 for christmas, benched the hell out of it, then someone gave me an E4500 so i OC'd the snot out of it (3.3ghz) and benched and found that it was not far off from the E8400 @ 3.0 so i kept the E4500 & sold the E8400, THEN i got a Q6600 for $50.00 which was a steal as it was a G0 chip and i got this puppy running 3.6ghz @ 1.37v on air! (xiggy s1283)

I guess i am saying that if you already have the Motherboard & RAM it's safe to stick with LGA 775 as it is still quite a performer and may prove to be a cheaper upgrade for someone to upgrade from an E4300 to a Q9550 as opposed to replacing their whole platform. LGA 775 should last a year or 2 more, and by then, the Core i line will have possibly dropped in price.

All true ... good outcome there.

Flog off your 4 series graphics card and get into a 5 when able ... perhaps.

In the meantime it looks like your pretty well setup.

I found the Q6600 thermally ramps quickly past 3.4 so watch your temps during the hotter months ... clean the cabling inside the case to maximise cool air coming in ... and getting out.

Nice rig.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
yep, adding a 5850 or 5870 at my latest (tax return) convenience, the cable management is immaculate in my case, the PSU has nice long cables to manipulate and the case has been nothing short of a dream thus far. This case i have is honeslty one of the most underrated cases i have dealt with, built very solid unlike other cases at the same pricerange...

I suspect i will wait for Bulldozer to arrive to upgrade my platform, not sure i want to dish out the extra $$$ for core i... Lets hope bulldozer is a performer :)

Alteratively a 45nm quad overclocked ... one of the 12Mb cache jobs not those castrated ones ... will give you a bit more performance than the 65nm one you have now ... at the same clocks.

The 45nm core2's do have a few more tricks, and the extra 4Mb of cache helps.

About a 3 to 7% performance boost ... plus the 45nm core runs a bit cooler, so you can overclock it a bit more ... without worrying about the thermals so much.

You could get a second HDD and go RAID0 ... the extra throughput on the secondary storage will help too.

It's probably the last thing you can do with that system before moving to a different platform.

Anyway, hope this helps.