Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to prevent pc from starting in bios

Last response: in Windows XP
April 29, 2012 2:14:02 AM

Does anyone know why my Dell 2350 Dimension keep starting up with the bios window to where I always have to reset the date and time and boot sequence , etc.? It goes back to the date we bought it and i have to reset it each time and then save the changes, and after that, it opens up windows xp ok.
Also, it also does not retain any restore points after I shut it down, so now I cannot restore it to some five weeks ago when it was still fine, all restore points were lost, and are lost every time I shut it down. Any solutions out there Please? I already changed the battery to no avail. Thanks and best regards to ALL.

More about : prevent starting bios

April 29, 2012 3:07:24 AM

Sounds like your computer may have a virus in both system and BIOS... Reset the BIOS according to the Dell Support instructions to delete a possible virus.
If the Dell instructions don't help fix the BIOS problem, try removing the battery and waiting for 15 minutes before reinstalling it again.

The System Restore problem may be caused by a virus so you need to disable the System Restore to delete the saved (and probably corrupted) restore points and next run a virus scan. The Restore points are most likely corrupted so it's no use trying to keep them.. so, disable SR in Control Panel\System\System Restore\Uncheck Disable System Restore... and next run a virus scann, and after that turn the computer off and reset the BIOS.

Clearing CMOS (BIOS)
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/s...
April 29, 2012 11:02:30 PM

Hey there Chicano power! Thanks for your reply to my question about how to stop bios from running at start up, unfortunately the problema hasn't changed after trying what you suggested? Do you by any chance have any other possibly helpful suggestions? It was running perfectly fine. I usually have it completely off and always make sure it's completely off (UNPLUGGED) when I'm not using it, but about three weeks ago after about a week or so of not using it, I came back, turned it on, and the problem just showed up for the first time. I had never had this kind of problem before. You think the mother board is giving up or something? I did eliminate a few malware crap with the free Malware Bytes software, and also did the other stuff, but it's still doing it. What say you bro? Thanks again.
Related resources

Best solution

April 30, 2012 1:00:40 AM

Hey bro!... about the BIOS problemon,.. is the replacement BIOS battery new or used?, if used it may not have enough charge to save the BIOS settings after every reboot. If it's new, there is the chance it may have expired... I've seen it happen sometimes. The problem can also happen if the BIOS jumper is on the wrong pins, so if you haven't touched it, the battery is probably bad.. so you may need to try another one, and also reset the BIOS again this time giving it more time.. try 20 to 30 minutes with the battery removed and see if that resets the BIOS correctly.

The BIOS can also run at startup when the Hard Drive is going bad.. the BIOS post should give a report if this is the case, so use the Pause/Break key to check the BIOS information. Use the Pause/Break key to pause the BIOS post, and the space bar to let it continue.. this way can read the whole BIOS report before allowing it to boot.

About the System Restore problem, some malware can corrupt the SR points so you can't restore the system back to good working order. it skipped my mind mentioning before you should re-enable it in the Control Panel\System\System Restore after a reboot, for it to start saving the new Restore points.

I don't think the motheboard is giving up, at least not with the info I have so far... if that were the case, (in my experience) it would start failing gradually, this may be the beggining but you first have to make sure the BIOS starts saving settings and that other hardware is in good working condition before attributing the problem to motherboard failure.
April 30, 2012 5:25:44 AM

Thanks again Chicano, I'm going to try that and see what happens. That's certainly something new which I hadn't heard or read about, so I'll let you know what happens. Thanks Bro. Later.

April 30, 2012 6:44:24 AM

One more thought on the hard disk angle - if S.M.A..R.T. is enabled inBIOS, try turning it off. It will shoot the messenger but at the same time confirm the message that the disk is shot.

April 30, 2012 7:45:12 PM

Hey Bro, wazup! Hey thanks for the low battery suggestion, it seems to have corrected the problem without doing anything else. I had already changed the battery once before you suggested it again, but after checking it, sure enough it was really low (1.2V) so I replaced it with a new one and as I said, it looks like it's doing it's job as you said it would. Really appreciate it very much Bro. Now I know who to ask if I have any more problems in case I can't find a solution on my own...hope you don't mind Bro. Anyway thank you so very much Chicano, God Bless and best regards. Mario from El Chuco Texas.
April 30, 2012 8:03:50 PM

Hey Saga Lout, thanks for your input below. As you can see, the problem seems to have gone away by just replacing the battery with a good one. I hope it stays that way.
I do have a question for you though, what is that S.M.A.R.T. thing, cause I don't think I've seen anything like that on my Dell bios window? What does SMART stand for, and also, what do you mean by "it will shoot the messenger"? As you can see, I'm not that knowledgeable as you guys are so, I hope you don't mind my asking? Thanks again Saga Lout, best regards to you too.

One more thought on the hard disk angle - if S.M.A.R.T. is enabled inBIOS, try turning it off. it will shoot the messenger but at the same time confirm the message that the disk is shot.

April 30, 2012 9:22:06 PM

riomar2012 said:
Hey Bro, wazup! Hey thanks for the low battery suggestion, it seems to have corrected the problem without doing anything else. I had already changed the battery once before you suggested it again, but after checking it, sure enough it was really low (1.2V) so I replaced it with a new one and as I said, it looks like it's doing it's job as you said it would. Really appreciate it very much Bro. Now I know who to ask if I have any more problems in case I can't find a solution on my own...hope you don't mind Bro. Anyway thank you so very much Chicano, God Bless and best regards. Mario from El Chuco Texas.

Yeah, the voltage on a new CR-2032 battery should be 3.0 v... so 1.2V wasn't enough to save the bios settings.... and no, I/we don't mind at all... you are welcome to ask any time you have a new problem... we certainly try our best to get your computers up and running as they are meant to.
April 30, 2012 9:34:03 PM

Thank you Bro!
April 30, 2012 10:17:05 PM

riomar2012 said:
Thank you Bro!
You are quite welcome Bro!
May 1, 2012 7:12:31 AM

Hello again, Mario. S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology and it monitors your hard disk and reports any problems as your system starts up. It then gives you a message about that problem and that's why I said turrning it off would shoot the messenger. Sometimes I'm too British for Tom's and our saying don't work well on your sid eof the Atlantic. :D 

If that had been the problem, turnng the message off and starting up a few times would show you whether or not the hard disk was at fault and that S.M.A.R.T. was causing the stall in startup and the F1 message.

Anyway, I'm pleased you seem to have sorted it on Chicano's advice.

May 6, 2012 12:21:07 AM

Best answer selected by riomar2012.
!