tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hello!

I've noticed a strange noise coming from the computer. It's probably from the PSU, but why? The noise oftest comes during programs that takes that little extra energy, like games when there's alot for the GPU to render.

The temperature is all cool, and this noise started after that I put the PSU in the bottom of my case(Cooler Master 932 HAF) and laid the cables behind the mobo to improve the airflow.

The PSU is a Tagan 800W ( http://uk.shopping.com/xPF-Tagan-Tagan-PSU-2-FORCE-II-Series-800W-EPS12V-V2-92-ATX-V2-2-TG800-U33-TG800-U33 )

Considered about contacting the store and ask if I might change it to another Corsair 750 W Powersupply.

//Filip

Is something vibrating when the PSU fan increases in speed or is it an electric crackling noise? you might check out the PSU fan real careful to make sure a scrap of paper or plastic didnt fall in there when you re-cabled.

Did you run those cables behind the motherboard tray? or between the motherboard and the tray? If it was between I would move them back out to see if it goes away.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I ran te cables behind the tray ofcourse, maybe I was just not clear about that.

There's no paper or such in the fan, I've checked. It's some kind of electric noise yes, can't really tell what sound it's reminding me of tho, it just feels like that I've heard it before. But the sound is some kind of electric, youre right about that. Got any experience?

thanks once again

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
As I read on googlesearches, I heard that the GPU could be the noisesource. The only thing I id was to change the powercables from the PSU to the GPU, but that shouldn't cause a noise, should it?

What do you mean by "change the cables"? You should only be able to plug in PCIE power cables. If you have more PCIE cables than you need then it may theoretically be possible you could overload one 12V rail and leave another unused based on which PCIE cables you chose this time, but I've not heard of it causing a problem before.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there neither. I only mentioned that I unplugged the cables(marked with an A on both cables, it another GTX260) and reinserted them. One socket is Orange and one is Blue. If the Orange is to be on the right side of the Blue or vice versa is nothing I don't know, nothing was written in the manual.

I opened the case and ran the system(just to more precisely locate the noisesource), started up Counter Strike Source just to run the GPU stress Test. During the entire, and only during, the test, the buzzy noise was heard, and it came from the GPU. The FPS landed on 247fps although, so there's probably nothing wrong with the card, except from the weird sound.

Any ideas+ :)

There is no order to the PCIE power cables. Different colors probably means different rails but if you only have 2 then it doesnt matter.

Take some canned air to the GPU fan and see if after running a while the noise is reduced. Sounds like the GPU fan is probably the culprit.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I got 4 PCI-E power cables, with which got an extra 2-pin socket.(Orange)
As the Manual told me, I used the two A cables in the GPU, since I am using one single GPU atm.

I can try the Canned Air method. Is it just to blow away any crap or dust which might have got there, or does it have any function by just blowing on the fan?

Thanks once again :)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I'll pick up another can later on today, however, can the possible scrap located in there cause any serious damage to the GPU itself? Should I consider to shut down the system until the culprit has been found?

Many thanks

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
also another input, Last night a friend of mine borrowed my computer to try out that game called World of Warcraft. During the Characterselection page, you heard that buzzy sound, but when signing into the world, it was quiet, and inside the world, you was barely able to hear anything at all. Sounds odd to me, but this is probably because of the fan as you said.

Just wanted to add info, thanks again ;)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Sucess. The Noise from the GPU is reduced to about 0%. Used canned air and used on all parts in the case that was partially or covered with any dust etc. During the time when the GPU has to work harder than while idling, another, barely noticable( My father didn't even hear it, and his ears are not in that mint condition) from the bottom part of the case, probably the PSU. But that's not important, machines got some noise, and there's no reason to complain.

Thanks so very much for all help!
And I apologize for my bad english,

Thanks
//Filip, Sweden