Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is my 6950 graphics card overclock safe?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 10, 2012 9:13:49 AM

Hey guys i recently overclocked my 6950 gpu to 1000mhz engine clock and 1400mhz memory, and i increased the voltage to about 1.4 to 1.5 volts. Do you reckon these settings are alright?? i have ran some passmark benchmarks, and bet the gtx 580's and matched the 7970, how ever it does tend to make a slight buzzing noise during benchmarking, and buzzes a little during gameplay...am i pushing my luck with this overclock?? And would you recommend running on these settings only while gaming?

Cheers guys
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2012 4:05:34 PM

Buzzing doesn't sound good, what are your temps like under load? As long as they are safe, and the system is stable, you have to decide if buzzing is too annoying.
March 11, 2012 12:34:51 PM

scottiemedic said:
Buzzing doesn't sound good, what are your temps like under load? As long as they are safe, and the system is stable, you have to decide if buzzing is too annoying.

during gameplay such as battlefield 3 i hit 80 degrees max with the fan on 70%
Related resources
March 11, 2012 12:35:45 PM

i have also done stress testing and it seemed to have copped really well without any errors.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 6:29:59 PM

80C isn't bad, and if it is stable, you are good to go. It may be a coil (don't remember the name) that is winding and just makes a noise.

At stocks clocks does it make this noise?

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 7:11:52 PM
Share

I'd agree, 80 isn't horrible, as long as you can live with the sound of the whine, otherwise dial it down a notch or two and see if it whines and how that affects your gaming.
March 11, 2012 8:26:03 PM

HostileDonut said:
80C isn't bad, and if it is stable, you are good to go. It may be a coil (don't remember the name) that is winding and just makes a noise.

At stocks clocks does it make this noise?

hmm in that case i guess its alright, its just a little whining sound but it doesn't make the noise when its on stock settings so i probs might be pushing my luck
March 11, 2012 8:27:21 PM

scottiemedic said:
I'd agree, 80 isn't horrible, as long as you can live with the sound of the whine, otherwise dial it down a notch or two and see if it whines and how that affects your gaming.

Yea i agree, might need to tone it down to be on the safe side, or decrease the voltage to see what happens. Cheers for your inputs guys
March 11, 2012 8:28:49 PM

Best answer selected by azed3000.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 9:07:30 PM

No problem! :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 10:15:47 PM

1.4-1.5 volts are too much voltage in my opinion
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2012 12:34:00 AM

megagabobe1 said:
1.4-1.5 volts are too much voltage in my opinion


+1

1.4v is very high and 1.5v is in the red for sure.
March 26, 2012 1:51:47 AM

vollman1 said:
+1

1.4v is very high and 1.5v is in the red for sure.


I have lowered the volts to 1.35 and still managed to increase the memory to 1500mhz. So 1.4volts was a major overkill
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2012 2:33:30 AM

Sounds like you have a good card there :) 
March 26, 2012 3:03:15 AM

vollman1 said:
Sounds like you have a good card there :) 


cheers for the advice mate, managed to get the temps down significantly as well :) 
Might quit while im ahead :p 
May 31, 2012 2:53:33 PM

I have two 6770's xfired running at 53 and the noise is driving me nuts and I haven't overclocked how can I stop it from overclocking when I didn't enabled it? Running 4 Gb of 1333 ram if I increase to 8GB will it quiet down?
June 1, 2012 2:11:29 AM

michael_98 said:
I have two 6770's xfired running at 53 and the noise is driving me nuts and I haven't overclocked how can I stop it from overclocking when I didn't enabled it? Running 4 Gb of 1333 ram if I increase to 8GB will it quiet down?


Is the fan making a loud noise? Or is it a buzzing sound? and no more ram will only making the game run slightly better if its demanding more than 4gb. Ram doesn't conduct any tasks that the gpu performs. If it is overclocking by itself then just disable amd overdrive in your catalyst control center. If its the fans then just adjust it under the amd overdrive tab. If you dont have catalyst control center then download it and you will be able to control it from there.

Good luck
June 2, 2012 7:48:59 AM

Seems like I'll just have to get used to it!
!