Sign in with
Your question

SSD purchase need help deciding ?

Last response: in Storage
September 24, 2011 2:45:24 AM

I am looking to buy around the 120gig mark for size and want to use SataIII. ive been looking at reviews but it seems none really stand out much over the others. i was wanting peoples opinions on best brand and model for longevity and speed.

More about : ssd purchase deciding

a c 283 G Storage
September 24, 2011 3:05:27 AM

For SATA III 6Gb/s the best bets are probably the Crucial M4 and the Intel 510. Both are relatively problem free compared to other brands and models.
m
l
September 24, 2011 3:16:04 AM

ive just been reading a bit more it seems the OCZ Vertex 3 is a very popular and fast drive ? would this be a good decision ? im using this mostly for gaming and little bit of photo editing. i know it wont do much for gaming other then help with load times but im fine with that. also price is not a issue
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2011 3:18:28 AM

just get the OCZ revodrivex2 or revodrivex3....much faster and don't have to worry about cables and all that jazz...i have had my revodrove x2 256GB for about 6months now and love it....speed is just about the same as when it was new....it has it's own managing software so there is no need for TRIM...hope this helps
m
l
September 24, 2011 3:26:14 AM

ok i got a question then im running 2x GTX580sli will my PCIEx bus line be saturated with those GFX cards running and hinder my performance using a PCIEx SSD ? also are PCIEx SSD's bootable and is the heat from my 580 going to hurt the SSD ? ive also been reading issues with the SandForce®2281 controller. do the SandForce 1222 controllers not suffer from the same issues ? Also what advantage to you gain from PCIEx then Drive style ? sorry for all the quesitons little bit of a noob when it comes to SSD =(
m
l
September 24, 2011 7:08:11 AM

no, your PCIE bus will no be saturated, each PCIE has it's individual line to the CPU so to say. All you need is a free PCIE slot. the heat will not hurt your controller, especially if you install your SDD in a free slot above your first video card, usually there is a 4X PCIE slot above the 16X PCIE slot. PCIE has a larger bandwidth when compared to SATA controller. here is a link with more info about bandwidth for PCIE http://www.anandtech.com/show/2412/2
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
September 24, 2011 12:31:04 PM

Let's slow down a bit.

Deeks - If you are thinking about a PCI-e based solid state state drive such as the OCZ Revo2 or Revo3, then the first thing you need to do is check your motherboard. At a minimum the Revo's require a PCI-e 2.0 x4 slot on the motherboard. The Revo's will also work with a PCI-e 2.0 x8 slot and a PCI-e 2.0 x16 slot. Those slots are not the same as the original PCI-e x (x1) slot which you mentioned.What brand and model motherboard do you have?
m
l
September 24, 2011 4:45:52 PM

My motherboard will fully support it for sure i have a extra PCI ex 16x available. Mother board is Asus P8P67 evo, CPU is 2600k, 8gb vengeance corsair 1600mhz ram, 1200w corsair AX psu, 2x 580gtx SC evga sli. I just want to make sure all the questions are answered before buying this thing, dont need it to melt due to video card temps, also need it bootable to run OS off of it, and trying to look for a ssd controller with the least amount of issues, i do know the 2281sandforce controllers are having some issues but ive been reading it seems they have came out with firmware fixes for them.
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
September 24, 2011 6:19:55 PM

Deeks & nebun:

The fine print at the bottom of the Asus specifications page for your motherboard:

"1. The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwith with the PCIe x1_1 slot, PCIe x1_2 slot, ESATA3G & PESATA3G and USB3_34. The PCIe x16_3 runs at x1 mode by default for system resource optimization. (PCIe x1_2 will be disabled.)x1."

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P6...
m
l
September 24, 2011 6:30:29 PM

sorry not quite sure what that means ? are u saying that becuase they share the same bandwidth line that im going to have over saturation on busline when running video cards ? ?
m
l
September 24, 2011 6:54:08 PM

he's saying your free PCIe slot will be running at PCIe x1 and minimum requirement is PCIe x4
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
September 24, 2011 7:13:46 PM

The terminology is incorrect but you're sort of on the right track.

When you use two PCI-e 2.0 x16 slots for video cards in Crossfire or SLI mode, then each slot will actually operate as PCI-e 2.0 x8 instead of x16. That is very typical and for the most part normal. It happens all the time. The performance hit is only about 2% to 5% and gamers will not notice it. Nothing to get excited about. There are a few expensive high end gaming boards with dedicated x16 slots but they are rare. Don't worry! Be Happy! You're good to go with SLI.

Here's the real problem. You're motherboard comes with a third PCI-e 2.0 x16 slot but by default it is set to operate at x1 because it must "share" with other connections/devices (not the video cards). The OCZ Revo2 and Revo3 require x4. The x1 won't do.
m
l
September 25, 2011 6:25:39 AM

ok, most high performance motherboards will have at least two PCIE that will run at x16 in sli or crossfire....the other one will run without any problems at 4x speeds without degrading performance, since they have incorporated chips to deal with the large amounts of data
m
l
September 25, 2011 6:28:21 AM

johnners2981 said:
he's saying your free PCIe slot will be running at PCIe x1 and minimum requirement is PCIe x4

not true...his free PCIE will run at 4x...i have the same setup and my revodrive x2 runs at 4x with, and my sli setup runs at x16 on each lane.
m
l
September 25, 2011 6:35:57 AM

OK...i wasn't paying attention a your motheboard model...since you have the Asus P8P67 you are limited...actually now you are cripeling your graphics performance since you are runing your sli at 8x unstead of 16x....if i were you i would get a motherboard with an x58 chipset on it.....the x58 supports 16x on two PCIE lanes which is optimal for an sli setup......now back to your original question, based on your motherboard you will be better off getting an SSD what supports sata 3...your current motherboard will cripple your revodrive the same way it's doing your sli setup at the moment
m
l
September 25, 2011 5:54:44 PM

I am also looking for a reliable SSD around the 120GB size. I haven't purchased the parts for my system yet, but I was thinking of going with OCZ Vertex 3, but reliability is more important than speed. With speed being secondary. This is the motherboard I was thinking of purchasing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am thinking I would rather get a SATA SSD instead of PCIe?

Also, I do want to SLI in the future.
m
l
September 25, 2011 10:53:27 PM

notapcguru said:
I am also looking for a reliable SSD around the 120GB size. I haven't purchased the parts for my system yet, but I was thinking of going with OCZ Vertex 3, but reliability is more important than speed. With speed being secondary. This is the motherboard I was thinking of purchasing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am thinking I would rather get a SATA SSD instead of PCIe?

Also, I do want to SLI in the future.

ok...if you want to use your future sli setup to it's fullest i would soggest looking for a differnt motherboard...one more like the x58 sabetooth from asus....here is why "2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual at x16/x16 mode)"...most budget motherboards will drop the pcie from 16x to 8x when dual cards are used.....as far as reliability goes, all ssds are about the same, since they purchase the chips from a main supplier like Samsung
m
l
September 26, 2011 1:07:25 AM

Would you mind recommending a particular motherboard?
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:16:54 AM

Ive been asking in other forums as well as in Graphic card section of toms and they were saying that running my 580's in SLI at 8x i maybe would only loose 1 - 2% performance which would hardly be noticeable at all
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
September 26, 2011 3:37:59 AM

That's what I said in a previous post. Depends on the video card but somewhere around 2% to 5%. Tom's hardware and other sites have looked into the matter and published articles.
m
l
September 26, 2011 12:17:15 PM

Deeks said:
Ive been asking in other forums as well as in Graphic card section of toms and they were saying that running my 580's in SLI at 8x i maybe would only loose 1 - 2% performance which would hardly be noticeable at all

why would you want to bottleneck your sli setup?....just spend a little extra for a better mobo
m
l
September 26, 2011 12:18:54 PM

notapcguru said:
Would you mind recommending a particular motherboard?

the asus x58 is a wonderful mobo...i have it and love it....it's about the same price too, the color scheme is ugly but i don't mind
m
l
September 26, 2011 12:19:30 PM

i mean to say...x58 sabertooth
m
l
September 27, 2011 2:22:18 AM

That would not fit my i7 2600k...and seriously, 1 to 2 percent? Yeah, I think I'll be ok without it.
m
l
September 27, 2011 12:17:15 PM

notapcguru said:
That would not fit my i7 2600k...and seriously, 1 to 2 percent? Yeah, I think I'll be ok without it.

your choice and your money, you asked for suggestions...good luck
m
l
!