Sign in with
Your question

Difference between core 2 quad and quad core

Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2010 4:47:34 PM

Is there any difference between a quad core and core 2 quad processor? How cache is shared in these two processors?
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2010 5:05:50 PM

Can you clarify what you mean by "quad core" ? Did you find a computer labeled that or what? What did it say after that?

"Core 2 Quad" is just a type of quad core processor that Intel makes. There are several other product lines.

In venn diagram speak: All core 2 quads are quad core, but not all quad cores are core 2 quads.

January 26, 2010 1:48:18 PM

Thanks you very much.... ...I actually saw a diagram that made me confused. It was a diagram of 2 physical CPUs having 4 logical cores. And another figure showed 4 cores in a single processor. So I was kinda confused about the concept...now it makes sense. Thanks again.
Related resources
January 26, 2010 8:42:15 PM

Core i7 for instance are quads but are not Core 2.

Hyperthreading improves performance of each core and lets it look as two logical cores, it could be what you've seen.

As well, some quad-cores were spread among 2 chips in a single package, while recent ones fit on a single chip, where they share a common L3, enabling faster communications amongs cores.
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2010 9:55:15 PM

BgBikla said:
Thanks you very much.... ...I actually saw a diagram that made me confused. It was a diagram of 2 physical CPUs having 4 logical cores. And another figure showed 4 cores in a single processor. So I was kinda confused about the concept...now it makes sense. Thanks again.

Sounds like the cpu you saw was core i3 or core i5 6xx's.

They have 2 core but with hyper threading (to the OS) the cpu will have 4 logical cores.
!