WINDOWS WONT START

after restarting my computer has come up with the message
cannot open file c:\windows\system32\config\system file
is missing or corrupt. all remedies refer to a windows
setup disk but i have no windows software other than
whats on my hard drive, how do i fix this!
3 answers Last reply
More about windows wont start

    Then your only option is to use whatever recovery procedure the manufacturer
    provided for you. Even though they didn't provide you with a CD, they are
    required to provide you with some means of restoring your setup to the
    condition it was when purchased new, check your documentation or call the
    manufacturer's tech support for information on how to do this but note, such
    procedure's usually start by first wiping your drive so you will lose all
    information currently on the drive unless you are backed up.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "jarv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > after restarting my computer has come up with the message
    > cannot open file c:\windows\system32\config\system file
    > is missing or corrupt. all remedies refer to a windows
    > setup disk but i have no windows software other than
    > whats on my hard drive, how do i fix this!

    Michael,

    I wiped my drive and tried to re-install XP but now my Compaq 7478 Presario
    will not recognize my CD Rom or DVD drive so I cannot install XP. I've tried
    to get into BIOS but have no options there re; the cd drive. How do I install
    XP ? Is there a driver I can install from a floppy? All I have is a W98 boot
    disk. I hate to scrap this computer. I just want to use it to run
    Winfax.....Kevin

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:

    > Then your only option is to use whatever recovery procedure the manufacturer
    > provided for you. Even though they didn't provide you with a CD, they are
    > required to provide you with some means of restoring your setup to the
    > condition it was when purchased new, check your documentation or call the
    > manufacturer's tech support for information on how to do this but note, such
    > procedure's usually start by first wiping your drive so you will lose all
    > information currently on the drive unless you are backed up.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "jarv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > after restarting my computer has come up with the message
    > > cannot open file c:\windows\system32\config\system file
    > > is missing or corrupt. all remedies refer to a windows
    > > setup disk but i have no windows software other than
    > > whats on my hard drive, how do i fix this!

    In the BIOS you need to look for the option to set up the boot sequence and
    place the CD-ROM first in line in the boot sequence. Are you sure it is not
    recognizing your CD-ROM? When you see the system first boot, do you see a
    reference on the first screen to your CD-ROM drive? If yes, the system is
    recognizing your CD-ROM drive. A few screens past that you should see a
    message that tells you if you wish to boot from the CD you must press any
    key, you usually have about ten seconds in which to do this. If you miss
    the message, the system will not automatically boot from the CD, it will
    continue on if it can or just stop at the next screen with a message to the
    effect there is no bootable drive.

    You should also realize, using a standard retail version of XP or a
    non-customized OEM version, there is no need to wipe the drive nor should
    you since all of this can and should be done during XP setup.

    That said, if the system in fact is not seeing your CD-ROM drive, while
    there are XP floppies available for download for systems that are unable to
    boot from the CD-ROM, it only initializes setup, at some point, it will ask
    you to place the XP CD in the CD-ROM drive to continue and if your system
    cannot see the drive, it won't continue. If that happens, I can only
    suggest contacting Compaq tech support as this would no longer be a Windows
    issue and there would be no other XP option available.

    Here are the links for the XP setup boot floppies:
    XP Home
    Edition-http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33290
    XP Pro-http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33291
    --

    "kevin graves" <kevin graves@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Michael,
    >
    > I wiped my drive and tried to re-install XP but now my Compaq 7478
    > Presario
    > will not recognize my CD Rom or DVD drive so I cannot install XP. I've
    > tried
    > to get into BIOS but have no options there re; the cd drive. How do I
    > install
    > XP ? Is there a driver I can install from a floppy? All I have is a W98
    > boot
    > disk. I hate to scrap this computer. I just want to use it to run
    > Winfax.....Kevin
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:
    >
    >> Then your only option is to use whatever recovery procedure the
    >> manufacturer
    >> provided for you. Even though they didn't provide you with a CD, they
    >> are
    >> required to provide you with some means of restoring your setup to the
    >> condition it was when purchased new, check your documentation or call the
    >> manufacturer's tech support for information on how to do this but note,
    >> such
    >> procedure's usually start by first wiping your drive so you will lose all
    >> information currently on the drive unless you are backed up.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "jarv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > after restarting my computer has come up with the message
    >> > cannot open file c:\windows\system32\config\system file
    >> > is missing or corrupt. all remedies refer to a windows
    >> > setup disk but i have no windows software other than
    >> > whats on my hard drive, how do i fix this!

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP