Solved

Buying i7 through CENTRECOM - need help

Hey Guys, I need some help. In a couple of days I'll be getting a new computer through Centrecom (an Australian computer store). I'm shopping with them mainly because they are conveniently close. They have good prices, only I've heard there customer service can be a bitch so I'm trying to make sure all the components will be compatible before they make the computer. If it fails past seven days I don't think I have a big chance of getting my money back. If there are any other suggestions you might have as for components, fire away.

Intel Core i7 920 /2.66 GHZ/ 8MB Cache
Gigabye Ga-Ex58-Ud3R
Kingston DDR3 6Gb Pc-10600/133 CL9
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
LG GH22N s50 SATA DVD WRITER
Gigabyte GTX 275
Antec 902
Corsair HX-620
Windows 7 Home Premium

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Early November

BUDGET RANGE: $2200 before rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, Editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Centrecom

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Australia

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 or 1900x600
27 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about buying centrecom help
  1. the new guy said:
    Hey Guys, I need some help. In a couple of days I'll be getting a new computer through Centrecom (an Australian computer store). I'm shopping with them mainly because they are conveniently close. They have good prices, only I've heard there customer service can be a bitch so I'm trying to make sure all the components will be compatible before they make the computer. If it fails past seven days I don't think I have a big chance of getting my money back. If there are any other suggestions you might have as for components, fire away.

    Intel Core i7 920 /2.66 GHZ/ 8MB Cache
    Gigabye Ga-Ex58-Ud3R
    Kingston DDR3 6Gb Pc-10600/133 CL9
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB
    LG GH22N s50 SATA DVD WRITER
    Gigabyte GTX 275
    Antec 902
    Corsair HX-620
    Windows 7 Home Premium

    APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Early November

    BUDGET RANGE: $2200 before rebates

    SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, Editing

    PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse

    PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Centrecom

    COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Australia

    OVERCLOCKING: Yes

    MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 or 1900x600


    Oh by the way, these people's website is:

    http://www.centrecom.com.au/
  2. Question: Do you need to SLI/CF?
  3. I wouldn't be using crossfire or SLI. Thanks for the reply
  4. the new guy said:
    I wouldn't be using crossfire or SLI. Thanks for the reply


    Then I'm Redoing your WHOLE computer. Sorry..
    Btw, can't seem to access http://www.centrecom.com.au/ site. Seems like there are issues. I will use Newegg as reference.

    LGA 1136 is not soo usefull if you do not want to CF/SLI at x16/x16. SO I'm recommending an LGA 1156.
    Plus, LGA 1156 performs as good as LGA 1136
    CPU: Core i5-750 W/O SMT/HT (Hyper-threading) [Slightly worse than i7-920/860]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215
    OR
    Core i7-860 (slightly better than i7-920)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115214
    BTW, to avoid confusion:
    LGA 1156
    i7-860
    i5-920
    LGA 1136
    i7-920 , 9XX

    CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=cooler%20master%20212%20plus

    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128405&Tpk=ga-p55m-ud2

    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

    Graphic Card: HD 5850 (will be a better choice for 1920*1080 monitors if your budget allows)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121349
    (out of stock in newegg, but i hope you can buy it at you Australian local store :) )

    Hard Disk: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB (Seagate has bad QC for now. I had 2 Seagate drives fail on me and this forum always recommends this Samsung hard disk because its fast and reliable)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=samsung%20f3%201%20tb
    [If you can't get hold of this Samsung don't worry then get the Western Digital 1 TB Black]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

    PSU: A wise choice. Leave that PSU as it is.

    Optical: Leave it as it is. This drive is one of the most quiet drives I've used.

    Case: I'm not good with cases. But the Antec should be fine.
  5. And How many inches would you want for your monitor 22"-22" or 24"?
  6. I was thinking 23 inch. The one I was thinking of was a Samsung P2350. Not sure If you've had any experience with it.
  7. With the monitor I would also need D-Sub port + a DVI because I wanted to run an XBOX 360 through it as well to achieve HD.
  8. Firstly I do not own an XBOX 360, but I've seen it...
    BTW, the LCD model I reccomend is:
    1. 24"
    2. Slightly cheaper than the P350 at CentreCom
    3. Has HDMI + D-Sub, DVI

    And I have 0 experience with both monitors, but I saw the Samsung model in the shop. But from what I heard this will be a good model

    Asus VW246H Newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049&Tpk=VW246H

    Asus VW246H CentreCom:
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=35678

    PS: You can buy a HDMI cable and which I think [SHOULD] be better than connecting your XBOX through D-Sub.

    UPDATE AND EDIT: CentreCom is back online! And will update the list I reccomended with Centrecom's pricing.
  9. The thing is I have one of the old Xbox 360's which doesn't have a HDMI! DAM YOU MICROSOFT! So unless I wanted to get inventive with adapters I think I need a D-SUB
  10. CPU: Core i7-860 (slightly better than i7-920) (since your budget allows this LGA 1156 gives more punch than i5 with a bit more price)
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=40499

    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD23
    Chage it to GA-P55-UD3 beacause you can get ATX and more PCIe slots no CF/SLI though for .90 $ less in centrecom
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_62&products_id=40278

    RAM: Corsair 4 GB kit (2x2 GB) DDR3 1333 TW3X4G1333C9A
    Chaged the RAM because no OCZ/G.Skill at CentreCom
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=115_23&filter_id=78&products_id=39312

    Graphic Card: Asus HD 5850
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=41784

    Hard Disk: Western Digital 1 TB Black (Change to Western Digital because there is no Samsung hard disks sold at centrecom) [do not bother Seagate unless you like RMA]
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=107_22&filter_id=52&products_id=35042

    Optical Drive: LG GH22NS50 SATA DVD RW
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=39837

    PSU: Corsair 520HX Modular [There is no 620 HX but 520 HX and it is enough to power a HD 5850)
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33850

    (if you want to save cash go for the non-modular 550VX version)
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=74&filter_id=78&products_id=33849

    Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=36053

    Monitor: Asus VW246H
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=35678

    OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=41767

    TOTAL with Modular Corsair PSU with OS: $1,935.90
    Btw, you still have some spare room for more hard disk and/or a new Heatsink for more OC. Very nice and high budget BTW. :bounce:

    Here is the cart information. I know its messy but at least you will get a point:


    EDIT: You can also get the XFX 5850 which has lifetime warranty but costs more if you think you DO NOT want to add on to this build. But a heatsink is a must if you want to overclock over 3.5 GHZ because the Intel heatsink craps out there with quite high temperatures (I think). http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=18
  11. You're a legend. Thanks akash...

    The only thing I would think of changing would be the PSU, I'd probs go for the 650.

    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=41921

    Maybe also I'd spend a bit extra on high end RAM. I suspect the difference might be minimal, I'm not sure

    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=115_23&products_id=41032

    Thats about bit. Thanks for all the help!
  12. the new guy said:
    You're a legend. Thanks akash...

    The only thing I would think of changing would be the PSU, I'd probs go for the 650.

    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=41921

    Maybe also I'd spend a bit extra on high end RAM. I suspect the difference might be minimal, I'm not sure

    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=115_23&products_id=41032

    Thats about bit. Thanks for all the help!


    I don't know about that RAM whether its realiable and whether it will work with your motherboard w/o issues. You can stick with the 520HX because as long you are not SLI/CF-ing, any PSU over >600 is not really worth it. And try to get a heatsink for LGA 1156 (with brackets) for OC.

    EDIT: Team is in the QVL of the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3. But like I said earlier not to sure whether it will work fine w/o dying fastt. Unless you know some people who use Team's RAM and its fine, then go ahead. If you are not too sure then get this Corsair RAM its at 1600 with CAS 9:
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=115_23&filter_id=78&products_id=40283
  13. ^what's with the high latencies RAM..
    wow RAM in australia is even more expensive than in canada, surprising when taiwan is so close...

    also save a few bucks and get the antec 900 instead of antec 902...

    computers in Australia are so expensive...

    get the hyper 212 plus heatsink instead..the zalman is expensive and sucks
  14. overshocks said:
    ^what's with the high latencies RAM..
    wow RAM in australia is even more expensive than in canada, surprising when taiwan is so close...

    also save a few bucks and get the antec 900 instead of antec 902...

    computers in Australia are so expensive...

    get the hyper 212 plus heatsink instead..the zalman is expensive and sucks


    Well, there is no G.Skill and OCZ so its kinda hard to get low timings. The Team RAM OP suggested has low timings but I don't know the brand well. And since you are here. I think you have more knowledge than me in heatsinks, so choose a good, affordable in here: http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php?page=1&cPath=75

    OP is buying his computer from that site, so don't link to newegg.
  15. the new guy said:
    Alternatively that in ram...

    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=115_23&products_id=40368

    For a heatsink, the Noctua sounds ok. I'm pretty limited with CentreCom's stock

    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75&products_id=37203

    This is the problem I faced. I only know the Cooler Master 212 Plus. RAM seems high in price but its up to OP to decide.
  16. The ram would work though?
  17. Well it should.
  18. make sure the heatsink has brackets for Socket 1156
  19. DONT BUY THAT HEAT SINK. doesnt support 1156
  20. It doesn't....

    There is only cooler with support for LGA 1156, which is the crap Zalman aformentioned! I don't know what to do. Would the stock sink work or would it decrease the life of the CPU?
  21. This one with brackets is fine:
    Zalman CNPS10X-EX
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?keywords=1156&products_id=41475

    This one works w/o any brackets on LGA 1156.
  22. yeah that one sounds like a goodie. Only I'm a bit worried, some people say that it is too big:

    'Beware, on Gigabyte P55-UD3R board, the first RAM slot will be unusable with RAMs that have semi decent heatsinks, such as G.Skill Ripjaws.'

    This would be the problem especially if I was going to use the Dominator GT RAM.
  23. Best answer
    I'm sorry but I'm not too good with heatsinks. Maybe you better buy it after you buuld your computer? Especially when you think you need to OC. Because its also true there aren't any LGA 1156 good heatsinks because its a new platform.
  24. Hmmm..... I've decided I'm going to invest in the Zalman heatsink, apparently it does a good job, despite it being obese and taking up the first Ram slot on p55 motherboards. Apparently the Dominator GT RAM's cooler would occupy one third of the CPU cooler's outtake and consequentially makes a lot of noise. Due to this I'll just invest in the Corsair xms3 which should well be up to the job. Other than that I'm happy with all the other components (i7 860, HD 5850 etc.). I'll be buying it all possibly tommorrow, possibly in the next couple of days...Wish me luck and thank you Akash, you've been so helpful here...even if everybody else hasn't.
  25. the new guy said:
    Hmmm..... I've decided I'm going to invest in the Zalman heatsink, apparently it does a good job, despite it being obese and taking up the first Ram slot on p55 motherboards. Apparently the Dominator GT RAM's cooler would occupy one third of the CPU cooler's outtake and consequentially makes a lot of noise. Due to this I'll just invest in the Corsair xms3 which should well be up to the job. Other than that I'm happy with all the other components (i7 860, HD 5850 etc.). I'll be buying it all possibly tommorrow, possibly in the next couple of days...Wish me luck and thank you Akash, you've been so helpful here...even if everybody else hasn't.


    Well, I'm happy to hear that your computer is done in (ordering status), good luck on how to set it up.
    and thx for giving me 'best answer'. Its my first best answer on tomshardware.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems Product