voyagr122

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I have setup a RAID1. Everything works perfectly until I unplug the pc. As long as I do not unplug the PC.
I can shut down, reboot, and windows will start up with no problems. BIOS shows the Mirrored array. Windows shows one hard drive as I assume it should since it is a RAID1. However, as soon as I unplug the PC and then a few minutes later plug it back in, the bios posts and then will not see either of the two hard drives.
I get the following message “Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot devices and press a key.
To correct the problem I shut it down, press the ClrCMOS button on the board, restart the pc, reset the date/time, restart, and then everything will work fine.
Does anyone have any ideas/solutions? Is it a bad motherboard, something wrong with the BIOS?
I am running Windows 7 but I do not think that has anything to do with it. The motherboard is the MSI 790FX-GD70.
Thanks,

sub mesa

Distinguished
Probably your motherboard's battery does not work to remember the BIOS settings and it will disable the onboard RAID.

I assume you only unplug the cable after you powered-down your PC, right?

It's puzzling to me though, that the HDDs do not get detected. Regardless of the IDE/AHCI/RAID setting the BIOS should always detect your drives.

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
^
I don't think it will if they are configured in a RAID and the BIOS defaults to configuring them as IDE. I do agree that the problem is very likely caused by a dead CMOS battery.

Replacing the battery should fix the problem.

voyagr122

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
that was my first thought. I have removed the battery and it is showing 3.25 volts on a volt meter and this battery is supposed to put out around 3 volts from the research I have done. In addition, the cmos settings are saved when unplugging because the date/time remain saved, at least I assume this would indicate the battery is operational. So I am pretty sure that it isnt the battery. It could however be the connection from the battery to the mortherboard or something like that I suppose. In which case I guess back to the Manufacturer it goes.

Any other ideas? It does sortof make sense though for it to be something with the battery because everything works fine until I unplug the PC power supply. (yes, i do shut down before unplugging).

Thanks for the help so far. greatly appreciated.