Sign in with
Your question

Has the boot recycle problem been fixed?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 2, 2010 10:57:56 AM

I'm looking to buy a used Gigabyte motherboard to fix my parents PC which has had two Asus boards fail within 6 months of each other.

I'm keen to try a Gigabyte board but I keep seeing threads where people have had a problem which they call the "boot recycle" problem.
It's explained in this thread here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246134-30-p35c-ds3r-b...

To be honest it's put me off from buying one because I really want a reliable board for my parents PC.
Does anyone know if that problem has now been fixed, or is it only on certain revisions, or was it to do with incompatible RAM?
It's not clear exactly what caused the problem and whether it's fixed or not.
May 2, 2010 1:04:55 PM

The system specs will be:

Intel E6600 CPU
Gigabyte motherboard (undecided)
2GB GeIL DDR2 PC-6400 RAM
Corsair CX 400W PSU
GFX card (undecided, doesn't need to be anything special).
Maxtor 120GB HDD

I already have the RAM, PSU and HDD. I just need to find a suitable CPU and motherboard.
My budget is very low so I'm buying all the parts second hand -- new parts are a lot more expensive here in the UK. I can't find any decent new s775 boards here for under £60 (~ $120).
I also plan to overclock the CPU so the board needs to be pretty decent at that.

I've heard great things about the GA-P35-DS3R board and I've been offered a rev. 1.0 one for just £30 which is tested, boxed and with all accessories. I also trust the guy selling it because I partly know him.

Do you know what differences the newer revisions made? I think the GA-P35-DS3R had rev. 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 2, 2010 1:29:48 PM

I have built inexpensive, fast, overclocked systems for several people, using the GA-G41M-ES2H; two advantages: respectable on-board graphics (can't remember the WEI scores off-hand, but they were impressive - I was surprised!) and they appear to be 'immune' to the USB-related boot-looping. I discovered this by accidentally booting with a USB stick in that I know, positively, to be a problem with P43/P45/X38/X48 based boards... Might want to read the 'Boot Loops' section of the 'sticky' for background...
m
l
Related resources
!