Best lightest laptop = mine

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 6:25:04 PM

To the person asking about lightweight laptops...

Firstly you should realize that with ultralights, everyone loves
their own laptops (unless it's a Toshiba ;)  Because humans really
prefer portable technology, and small is more portable. Remember
that early humans were hunter-gatherers, always on the move,
travelling light...

At any rate, in my case I have the Thinkpad X31, which came with
a 3 year warranty. I bought it new on Ebay in an unopened
factory sealed box. I've had no trouble with it and have been very impressed,
although XP Pro is sometimes slow with only 256 Megs.

Also here's a little hint: the X31 fits *perfectly* into the
$20 plastic ruggedized case that I bought at ContainerStore.
Just add foam.

The 12 inch screen has not proven to be a problem, and I edit
photos all the time.

The built-in CompactFlash slot is an excellent feature. I use it
every few days to transfer photos.

Could the X31 be better? Yes, it should have come with 512 megs
($40 upgrade) and I would prefer a metal case.

Also...the lack of CDROM drive is a problem. However, media formats
are changing *rapidly* right now. Dual-layer dvd writers are
suddenly available or as little as $99 (newegg.com). And then
there are the external hard drives etc. Better to not commit
and just borrow a drive when you need it.

Generally speaking the X31 is a wonderful system.

More about : lightest laptop mine

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2004 8:09:55 AM

that was me, and in the interim i bought a new X30 on eBay. It came with
512 MB ram and is reasonably quick. It also has the "media slice" and I had
an older IBM CD-RW so i'm in business there. With the slice the thing is
still light, but I won't use it except to backup stuff, or make some CDs of
projects. So far I'm very pleased (though I already long for the X40 X41
etc--they are apparently significantly lighter still).

"ziliath" <ziliath@myway.com> wrote in message
> To the person asking about lightweight laptops...
>
> Firstly you should realize that with ultralights, everyone loves
> their own laptops (unless it's a Toshiba ;)  Because humans really
> prefer portable technology, and small is more portable. Remember
> that early humans were hunter-gatherers, always on the move,
> travelling light...
>
> At any rate, in my case I have the Thinkpad X31, which came with
> a 3 year warranty. I bought it new on Ebay in an unopened
> factory sealed box. I've had no trouble with it and have been very
impressed,
> although XP Pro is sometimes slow with only 256 Megs.
>
> Also here's a little hint: the X31 fits *perfectly* into the
> $20 plastic ruggedized case that I bought at ContainerStore.
> Just add foam.
>
> The 12 inch screen has not proven to be a problem, and I edit
> photos all the time.
>
> The built-in CompactFlash slot is an excellent feature. I use it
> every few days to transfer photos.
>
> Could the X31 be better? Yes, it should have come with 512 megs
> ($40 upgrade) and I would prefer a metal case.
>
> Also...the lack of CDROM drive is a problem. However, media formats
> are changing *rapidly* right now. Dual-layer dvd writers are
> suddenly available or as little as $99 (newegg.com). And then
> there are the external hard drives etc. Better to not commit
> and just borrow a drive when you need it.
>
> Generally speaking the X31 is a wonderful system.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 16, 2004 4:09:16 PM

> Also...the lack of CDROM drive is a problem. However, media formats
> are changing *rapidly* right now. Dual-layer dvd writers are
> suddenly available or as little as $99 (newegg.com). And then
> there are the external hard drives etc. Better to not commit
> and just borrow a drive when you need it.

I've just ordered my X31 and I'm looking for info on installing WinXP
wirelessly from my desktop (didn't buy the media slice). I'd prefer
not to have the 15GB or however much it is on the hidden partition
used up. Does anybody have any info on how to do this? A
comprehensive post, faq, or recommendation of a book would be
terrific. Thanks!
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2004 12:29:33 AM

> I've just ordered my X31 and I'm looking for info on installing WinXP
> wirelessly from my desktop (didn't buy the media slice). I'd prefer
> not to have the 15GB or however much it is on the hidden partition
> used up. Does anybody have any info on how to do this? A
> comprehensive post, faq, or recommendation of a book would be
> terrific. Thanks!

It's not a hidden partition this time. Somehow they've made it impossible
to remove the XP Pro install data, which is only a few gigs anyway.
They probably were getting tons of call from people who accidentally
removed the partition so they put in protection (a good thing).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2004 12:03:08 PM

The lightest full sized(and cheapest) laptops now made LG Electronics. But
apparently they are not available in the US yet.

!