Solved

Windows Xp date n time keeps resetting

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Windows XP
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 11, 2012 3:12:25 PM

I've been facing this problem for 2 weeks now...the pc date & time keeps resetting every time i boot the computer..
I've replaced the cmos battery with two different ones,configured the time by placing the jumper over pin 2 & 3..detached every wire in the cpu,cleaned the cabinet properly and attached'em carefully and tightly..i've tried setting the date & time by pressing F2 and entering bios setup..performed full pc scan in safe mode with MALWAREBYTE'S ANTI MALWARE...fixed the registry with registrybooster...the timezone is also correct...but still the date nd time changes on every reboot...

Please help...it's quite frustrating having to change the date and time again and again EVERYDAY

More about : windows date time resetting

March 11, 2012 3:32:53 PM

What is ur mobo's make and model?
m
l
March 11, 2012 3:40:47 PM

ziuus1 said:
What is ur mobo's make and model?

Its Intel DG41RQ1,with Intel core 2 duo 2.9GHz,Nvidia Geforce 9400gt 1gb,2gb ddr2 ram,450 watt psu..
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2012 3:43:04 PM

get a new CMOS battery
m
l
March 11, 2012 3:47:37 PM

gomerpile said:
get a new CMOS battery

Already did that...bought 2 batteries...but same result....
m
l
March 11, 2012 3:53:16 PM

Is the mobo bios up to date? Did this start happening after you updated the mobo bios?
m
l
March 11, 2012 3:57:30 PM

ziuus1 said:
Is the mobo bios up to date? Did this start happening after you updated the mobo bios?

I've never updated the bios...never tried to actually...
m
l
March 11, 2012 4:19:01 PM

brollyjin said:
I've been facing this problem for 2 weeks now...the pc date & time keeps resetting every time i boot the computer..
I've replaced the cmos battery with two different ones,configured the time by placing the jumper over pin 2 & 3..detached every wire in the cpu,cleaned the cabinet properly and attached'em carefully and tightly..i've tried setting the date & time by pressing F2 and entering bios setup..performed full pc scan in safe mode with MALWAREBYTE'S ANTI MALWARE...fixed the registry with registrybooster...the timezone is also correct...but still the date nd time changes on every reboot...

Please help...it's quite frustrating having to change the date and time again and again EVERYDAY

Disable the world clock setting . Set it yourself
m
l
March 11, 2012 4:24:29 PM

gerry410 said:
Disable the world clock setting . Set it yourself

I dont get it....how can i disable the world clock?? Are you saying that i should not use time synchronisation and set the time myself instead???
m
l
March 11, 2012 6:15:27 PM

Try this.

Right click over the time in the lower right.
Select Adjust date/time

Select internet time tab / change settings

Uncheck synchronize with an Internet time server / OK

You computer has an internal clock. It doesn't need to sync with the internet.

You can always go back and change it.

By the way, what does the date and time change to each time? Is it always the same?
m
l
March 11, 2012 8:15:51 PM

Quote:
How did you detach everywire in the CPU, did you cut it in half to expose the core, then rip out the bus.

What are you talking about? Follow the directions I posted above. Very simple.
m
l
March 11, 2012 8:16:37 PM

brollyjin said:
I dont get it....how can i disable the world clock?? Are you saying that i should not use time synchronisation and set the time myself instead???

Yes!!!!!
m
l
March 11, 2012 8:31:38 PM

directions are screwy set the clock, last time I use malwarebytes it would not run in safemod. Had to run with all supported device for malware to work
m
l
March 12, 2012 1:35:43 AM

gomerpile said:
directions are screwy set the clock, last time I use malwarebytes it would not run in safemod. Had to run with all supported device for malware to work

just go in the square that has the time and change the numbers
m
l
March 12, 2012 8:51:00 AM

gerry410 said:
Try this.

Right click over the time in the lower right.
Select Adjust date/time

Select internet time tab / change settings

Uncheck synchronize with an Internet time server / OK

You computer has an internal clock. It doesn't need to sync with the internet.

You can always go back and change it.

By the way, what does the date and time change to each time? Is it always the same?

I did that...i unchecked the "automatically synchronize with internet"....and set the date and time manually....but the same result...after rebooting the date and time were reset...and yes the date always reset to a same date...i:e, 01:01:2008...
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 12, 2012 10:43:28 AM

From everything you have done so far, unfortunately it sounds like your M/B is giving up on you, however sometimes you can reflash the BIOS even with the same BIOS it presently is flashed with, and it may work, but it would be better with the last BIOS flash available, but if that doesn't work, it's time to replace it.

Under certain circumstances electrical surges and such can cause the BIOS to loose some important data, that changing a CMOS battery or clearing and resetting the BIOS settings will not resolve because the original file is corrupted.

Read the websites instructions carefully regarding flashing your BIOS, make sure you fully understand how to do it if you have to read it over and over make sure you understand the instructions.

I usually make more than 1 BIOS file to flash if a few are offered just in case the flash fails to take, you'll have a backup to flash.

The most important thing to remember if your flash fails do not turn the computer off, make sure you receive a successful flash confirmation before turning the computer off.

PM if you need help or you do not understand something. Ryan
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 12, 2012 10:45:46 AM

@gomerpile

I deleted your smart comments don't do that again. Ryan
m
l
March 12, 2012 2:02:26 PM

4Ryan6 said:
From everything you have done so far, unfortunately it sounds like your M/B is giving up on you, however sometimes you can reflash the BIOS even with the same BIOS it presently is flashed with, and it may work, but it would be better with the last BIOS flash available, but if that doesn't work, it's time to replace it.

Under certain circumstances electrical surges and such can cause the BIOS to loose some important data, that changing a CMOS battery or clearing and resetting the BIOS settings will not resolve because the original file is corrupted.

Read the websites instructions carefully regarding flashing your BIOS, make sure you fully understand how to do it if you have to read it over and over make sure you understand the instructions.

I usually make more than 1 BIOS file to flash if a few are offered just in case the flash fails to take, you'll have a backup to flash.

The most important thing to remember if your flash fails do not turn the computer off, make sure you receive a successful flash confirmation before turning the computer off.

PM if you need help or you do not understand something. Ryan

Thanks...i will try to flash the bios carefully...btw,will reinstalling the os solve this resetting problm???
m
l
March 12, 2012 3:17:40 PM

brollyjin said:
Thanks...i will try to flash the bios carefully...btw,will reinstalling the os solve this resetting problm???

How old is the computer? Before flashing the bios I would maybe try re-installing windows first. Backup all your data first. Messing with the bios can be tricky.

If re-installling and flashing the bios don't work is it possible to return it for a replacement?
m
l
March 12, 2012 3:33:48 PM

gerry410 said:
How old is the computer? Before flashing the bios I would maybe try re-installing windows first. Backup all your data first. Messing with the bios can be tricky.

If re-installling and flashing the bios don't work is it possible to return it for a replacement?

Everything in my cpu is 2 yr old...i'll try reinstalling the os...i think it's still under warranty period,so i'll send it for replacement later...but first let me try reinstalling the os,,and will post back the result..

And can you tell me what if i leave the problem as it is....i mean it only takes 2 minutes to set the correct time...will leaving this, cause any trouble to my pc???
m
l
March 12, 2012 8:50:39 PM

brollyjin said:
..i think it's still under warranty period,so i'll send it for replacement later...but first let me try reinstalling the os,,and will post back the result..

And can you tell me what if i leave the problem as it is...

I dont think its still under warranty being 2 years old.
Do you have an installation Disk or a repair disk? If you can just do a repair try that first before a clean install maybe it will fix the problem.
No, I don't see how that would cause any damage to the computer. Leaving it alone maybe will fix it self. Just mess up your appointments. keep me posted please
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2012 12:23:26 PM

check the volatage reading at "vbat" using sensor of hwinfo32 (or 64 for 64bit windows).

if you are getting less than or equal to 3v then battery is faulted.
m
l
March 13, 2012 12:33:17 PM

gerry410 said:
I dont think its still under warranty being 2 years old.
Do you have an installation Disk or a repair disk? If you can just do a repair try that first before a clean install maybe it will fix the problem.
No, I don't see how that would cause any damage to the computer. Leaving it alone maybe will fix it self. Just mess up your appointments. keep me posted please

Okay here it is...

i reinstalled the os..(did it before you posted your comment on repairing)...and the same result...
here are some things i noticed...

1).while installing winXP,when it showed the time options during installation,it was showing the correct date(not time)...

2).on every reboot,even if the date and time are reset(date is always 1-jan-2008).... the timezone remains correct..??why??

m
l
March 13, 2012 12:44:42 PM

truegenius said:
check the volatage reading at "vbat" using sensor of hwinfo32 (or 64 for 64bit windows).

if you are getting less than or equal to 3v then battery is faulted.

the vbat reading is showing 0.272v(current.min and max)
m
l
March 13, 2012 1:00:32 PM

Brolly,

Did you update the bios as I suggested earlier?
m
l
March 13, 2012 1:09:47 PM

ziuus1 said:
Brolly,

Did you update the bios as I suggested earlier?

No i didnt...i know nothing about flashing bios...so will it be safe for me to update it???

And as truegenius said,i took the reading at vbat and it showed 0.272v...what does that mean???
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 13, 2012 1:39:08 PM

brollyjin said:
No i didnt...i know nothing about flashing bios...so will it be safe for me to update it???

And as truegenius said,i took the reading at vbat and it showed 0.272v...what does that mean???

That means you have a bad battery.

A CMOS CR-2032 battery is a 3.0v lithium cell battery they'll usually read 3.0v to 3.3v

With the reading your battery is showing only the machine in actual operation will be able to hold your CMOS settings, once you shut it down they're gone.

Good catch truegenius!
m
l
March 13, 2012 3:53:07 PM

4Ryan6 said:

A CMOS CR-2032 battery is a 3.0v lithium cell battery they'll usually read 3.0v to 3.3v

With the reading your battery is showing only the machine in actual operation will be able to hold your CMOS settings, once you shut it down they're gone.

Good catch truegenius!

+1. In this case. Since you already replaced the cmos battery and are still haveing this issue. You might want to consider that you have a bad mobo or mobo going bad?
m
l
March 13, 2012 4:35:19 PM

4Ryan6 said:

Good catch truegenius!

Okay,but there were some other readings also...

current min max
Vcore 1.136v 1.096v 1.280v
Vccp2 2.560v 2.544v 2.560v
+3.3v 3.280v 3.264v 3.296v
+3.3v 3.280v 3.264v 3.296v
+5v 3.912v 3.912v 3.936v
VIN5 1.552v 1.552v 1.568v
VIN6 1.712v 1.648v 1.728v
3VSB 3.392v 3.392v 3.392v
VBAT 0.336v 0.336v 0.336v

What does these readings suggest???
m
l
March 13, 2012 4:39:23 PM

ziuus1 said:
+1. In this case. Since you already replaced the cmos battery and are still haveing this issue. You might want to consider that you have a bad mobo or mobo going bad?

Yes you are right....the first battery(which was already inside cpu) was 4months old...second one was bought 2 weeks ago,and the 3rd one was bought 5 or 6 days ago...all from different stores...and they all are lithium CR2032 3v cells...

So is it possible that something inside the cpu is causing these cells to damage or not work??
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2012 5:10:40 PM

@4ryan6
:D 

check voltage of that cell before and after installing (by takingout battery, using voltmeter) in board and when running in pc (using hwinfo).
If voltmeter is unavailable then try a 'LED' bulb to confirm that voltage of battery is above ~2 (if bulb glows very dim) or 3 (if bulb glows at about its full strength). And then use a small dc motor (used in toys) to check that if battery is giving enough continuous current and thus to verify that its voltage is not dropping too much during extraload (btw if it can power a led then it have sufficent current and voltage at that instance).

If reading differs too much then either software is not reading it correctly or socket of battery is damaged or have some corrosion/dust otherwise board is saying 'sweet dreams'.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2012 5:15:13 PM

:o 
those readings either shows that sensor or software is not working correctly OR psu is replying 'good night'.
m
l

Best solution

a c 239 K Overclocking
March 14, 2012 9:38:12 AM

@brollyjin

After doing some research regarding your Intel DG41RQ motherboard there are quite a few BIOS flashes available for that board since it's first release, and some were important, I really suggest you get over your fear of Flashing the BIOS, educate yourself on How to do it, and, do it.

FYI: You wrote DG41RQ1, there is no reference to the 1 on the end, you search for DG41RQ in Intel support downloads to find the BIOS files for you motherboard, and apparently the Flashing Instructions are actually within the downloads themselves.
March 14, 2012 10:09:18 AM

truegenius said:
@4ryan6
:D 

check voltage of that cell before and after installing (by takingout battery, using voltmeter) in board and when running in pc (using hwinfo).
If voltmeter is unavailable then try a 'LED' bulb to confirm that voltage of battery is above ~2 (if bulb glows very dim) or 3 (if bulb glows at about its full strength). And then use a small dc motor (used in toys) to check that if battery is giving enough continuous current and thus to verify that its voltage is not dropping too much during extraload (btw if it can power a led then it have sufficent current and voltage at that instance).

If reading differs too much then either software is not reading it correctly or socket of battery is damaged or have some corrosion/dust otherwise board is saying 'sweet dreams'.

Okay,i tried the led technique,and the bulb was glowing at its max....and then inserted the same cell in motherboard and the checked the vbat which showed 0.272v....

m
l
March 14, 2012 10:10:54 AM

4Ryan6 said:
@brollyjin

After doing some research regarding your Intel DG41RQ motherboard there are quite a few BIOS flashes available for that board since it's first release, and some were important, I really suggest you get over your fear of Flashing the BIOS, educate yourself on How to do it, and, do it.

FYI: You wrote DG41RQ1, there is no reference to the 1 on the end, you search for DG41RQ in Intel support downloads to find the BIOS files for you motherboard, and apparently the Flashing Instructions are actually within the downloads themselves.

Okay,thnx....i will try updating it,as the problem hasnt been solved yet...i will look for the proper technique to update the bios...and will post the results...
m
l
March 15, 2012 12:42:45 AM

Take the advise of 4Ryan6, flashing the bios can't be that difficult just read up on it. Maybe something in the bios is off.
m
l
March 15, 2012 6:16:57 AM

UPDATE!!!

I flashed the bios using twice(it was EASY)....with express installer,and also with the use of a bootable flash drive(i already had the latest bios it said)..but nothing has changed...the problem still persists..i've also downloaded many windows xp updates..

So as all of you suggested,the prblm is with the M/B...right..!!??

Now,my mom won't allow me to buy a new M/B soon...so i guess i have to get used to the prblm and just change the date and time myself everytime..M/B's working fine,just the bios prblm...

So i think we can now mark this thread as solved.....the solution is "REPLACE THE MOTHERBOARD"..

But still i got to learn new things....flashing bios,bios jumper,windows update,and the main thing is that now i know there's a cell inside the M/B(which a month ago,i didnt even knew)...

Thanx guys for helping me out...there's no other suggestions for me now i guess....right??
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 15, 2012 10:10:17 AM

Well congratulations! Not that the M/B is bad, but that you've learned enough and taken steps, you weren't sure you could take, and did it, successfully.

You just took your first diagnostic steps to becoming a computer Geek. :) 

When you select yourself a Best Answer the thread will be automatically marked Solved
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:54:37 PM

brollyjin said:
UPDATE!!!

I flashed the bios using twice(it was EASY)....with express installer,and also with the use of a bootable flash drive(i already had the latest bios it said)..but nothing has changed...the problem still persists..i've also downloaded many windows xp updates..

That sure is a peculiar problem. I'm wondering if that's going to turn out to be a significant date for you. Get out the Quija board. LOL

Anyway, its an odd thing but if all else is working fine you can always get a desk clock and calendar.
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:23:04 PM

Best answer selected by brollyjin.
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:26:42 PM

gerry410 said:
That sure is a peculiar problem. I'm wondering if that's going to turn out to be a significant date for you. Get out the Quija board. LOL

Anyway, its an odd thing but if all else is working fine you can always get a desk clock and calendar.

Yup...the only little little little prblm is that if the date is wrong(which always go back to 2008),then the internet wont allow me to open some sites like facebook,g.mail etc by saying certificate errors...and the antivirus says please update your database... :sol:  :D  :lol: 
m
l
September 24, 2012 9:19:11 PM

brollyjin said:

I can understand that. Even I am facing the same problem of the system time getting changed automatically and getting F1 to continue everytime when rebooting. I need the solution for the same asap.
m
l
November 8, 2013 4:03:12 AM

ygogikar said:
brollyjin said:

I can understand that. Even I am facing the same problem of the system time getting changed automatically and getting F1 to continue everytime when rebooting. I need the solution for the same asap.

Hey guys ,
read this post and I am facing the same problem with my Windows 7 OS too.
The clock is resetting on every boot and I need to press F1 everytime I reboot my system....Its very irritating and I need one of you to provide a solution please...!
m
l
May 15, 2014 10:07:52 PM

Help,me too! Also exactly the same problem replaced the battery on the MB and now everytime i switch the computer on i have to press F1 then also readjust the clock which resets back to the same incorrect year.
m
l
May 16, 2014 1:37:31 PM

Andy Wilson said:
Help,me too! Also exactly the same problem replaced the battery on the MB and now everytime i switch the computer on i have to press F1 then also readjust the clock which resets back to the same incorrect year.

Hey Andy..

brollyjin here...
actually i wasn't able to solve the problem....even though i tried many things mentioned above...
the problem remained....

i had to live with the problem until my MOBO gave up on me during april'13...and i had to buy a new one...
but for the problem..no...i was unable to solve it...

sorry...

m
l
June 3, 2014 3:53:07 PM

Strangely I am having the exact same problem for past few weeks also. I have a 6 years old computer with ASUS motherboard. I have noticed problems with skype starting and stopping ,starting and stopping on and on ,for periods of time, AND then I find that I have dates 1 year or so in the future appear when I post messages on Skype and then stays like that.
m
l
July 20, 2014 4:57:20 AM

Hey andy / mynameisjohn... i too have this exact same problem with my xp os [reset to 1st january 2007 - 1:30am] , the problem started last week when i couldn't open my firefox browser, as a pop up said; my certificate was expired... then i tried google chrome, same thing happened, also certificate had expired with explorer... i immediately became suspicious so checked/reset the clock then did a virus scan which did find and remove the following virus: Threat: Win32 Trogen-gen... i ran malware bytes but was no good, as couldn't find it, so yeah, avast ended up finding & getting rid of it... however, my clock still keeps going back to 2007... i noticed approx 1-2 weeks ago when going to turn off the pc, that microsoft were sending update parcels through, i was suprised as i thought they weren't supporting xp any more?... and now i'm having probs with my clock resetting itself to 2007... coincidence or A. are microsoft sabotaging xp for people who still wish to use it? or B. was it the Trojan virus that did this damage to the clock before being removed or C. some other possible explanation?... anyway, i too would like to know how to get on top of this clock resetting issue, hence will be watching this thread closely, hoping someone out there has a solution? thanks.

3696155,0,93909 said:

m
l
!