Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Air to Water Cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
March 11, 2012 3:38:24 PM

Hi all,

I currently have a core i7 930 running with a Hyper 212 air cooler. My tempts running stock 2.8 are 33/37, full load Prime95 65/70.

If I OC to 3.8 idle temps go to 38/40 idle, full load Prime 95 70/80.

My question is, if I purchase the Cooler Master H100 water cooler what temps could I expect to get. Would it be worth the $112.00.

The computer runs fine no issues.

Thanks ya'all

More about : air water cooling

March 11, 2012 3:54:45 PM

You're ambient temperature(internal case temp) will be less since the heat from your CPU is being dumped outside the case rather than circulating inside. You're load temps may come down slightly but don't expect a significant drop.

Closed loop water coolers are good for working in confined spaces and making a quieter system(sometimes). Unless you have the time and money to do a proper liquid cooled build, just stick with a quality air cooler such as the one you already have.

Review of various closed loop CPU water coolers with a comparison to an air cooler: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h2o-h80-h100-benchm...
m
l
March 11, 2012 6:03:34 PM

mistake
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 6:42:20 PM

**You're ambient temperature(internal case temp)**

Ambient temperature is generally accepted to be the temperature of the room, not the case, but you are spot on with the rest of your advice, theres no huge difference to gain here from swapping to a H100,
op, whats your voltage there? you'll see a drop in temps from lowering the voltage on the Cpu, but its trial and error to find the sweet spot for your chip,
I would pursue that avenue before buying a H100,
whats your room temps there btw?
Moto
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 6:47:06 PM

The H100 is a good cooler. As good as or better than the best air coolers. You have to add 2 more fans for a push/pull configuration to get the most out of it though and that makes it even more expensive and can make it loud.

Sounds to me like you might not have good airflow in your case. Do you have front intake fans and rear/top exhaust fans? What thermal paste did you use on the Hyper 212? Have you tried remounting your cooler? Temps are well within safe ranges but seem a bit high to have aftermarket cooling.
m
l
March 11, 2012 6:56:16 PM

anort3 said:

Sounds to me like you might not have good airflow in your case. Do you have front intake fans and rear/top exhaust fans? What thermal paste did you use on the Hyper 212? Have you tried remounting your cooler? Temps are well within safe ranges but seem a bit high to have aftermarket cooling.

1 front fan, 1 rear exhaust, 2 pulling air out the top and 2 on the cooler pushing to the rear.

I didn't really think my temps are bad. I have a 2.8 OC'ed to 3.8. What is the best I can try to achieve on the Hyper 212?

Remounting is no big deal. I use Artic 5.

Tanks brother!
m
l
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 7:07:52 PM

Yeah that is a good overclock. You might be able to drop your voltage a bit as Moto recommended above. All in all I would not worry too much. As I said you are well within safe ranges. I would worry a bit about going close to 80C though. I would guess that in everyday useage you don't get anywhere near that.
m
l
March 11, 2012 8:13:07 PM

anort3 said:
Yeah that is a good overclock. You might be able to drop your voltage a bit as Moto recommended above. All in all I would not worry too much. As I said you are well within safe ranges. I would worry a bit about going close to 80C though. I would guess that in everyday useage you don't get anywhere near that.

80c on Prime 95 OC'ed to 3.8 when the room is warm. I may try to reset the paste maybe knock 2/3 degrees off.

What is the best possible temp. I could achieve with this 212? It's direct contact pipes but it has the bottom plates between the pipes(earlier version).
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 8:45:22 PM

80's way hot, even for intel, whats the room temp in numbers roughly?
Your 'best' idle temps are always going to be above that mark, and at best 10-15'c,
We also need that voltage number :-)
Moto
m
l
a c 105 K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 8:45:32 PM

I'm not really sure. I skipped LGA 1156/1366. I went from an E8400 to this i7 2600K. I did quite a few builds with the i5 750/760 but I have not done much overclocking with that whole series of chips.

I would guess you should be topping out in the low-mid 70s at the most.
m
l
March 12, 2012 1:38:28 AM

Best answer selected by gerry410.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 12, 2012 2:22:36 AM

Thank you for B.a. man, glad to help
Moto
m
l
March 12, 2012 2:41:20 AM

As mentioned, you arent going to get much better than your air cooler with the H100. Lowering your voltage may help. My 920 at 3.8 was cooler than that though and would top out at 65C in a non air conditioned environment. 80C as said is too hot. Lowering the voltage should get you some better temps and look at your overall airflow in the case. Honestly though I wouldnt spend any money on the waterblock from where you are. Save that money for your eventual upgrade.
m
l
!