Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading desktop

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2009 3:48:31 AM

Hi all. I have a desktop that's an year old. Don't use it that much. Recently I'm into gaming.

Specs:
1. Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Mobo
2. Dual Core E2160 1.80Ghz
3. 2G RAM
4. 500G HD
5. Geforce 8600GT GPU
6. ATX(PSIV-450-2) 350W I believe
7. Running on WinXP 32bit OS

I'm thinking upgrading gpu to 9800gtx. Don't know if it's a good idea. And if i do. Do i need to change my power supply to a 500W or higher one? Any suggestions on any upgrades or your opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

This computer is going to be for general purposes and for gaming (CS: Source, Starcraft2, Diablo3, CoH, CoD series)

More about : upgrading desktop

November 3, 2009 4:28:09 AM

The 9800GTX is a poor choice at the moment. The Radeon HD4850 is just as powerful, but is a bit cheaper (there's always one for $100 on Newegg). Yes, you'll need a new PSU. A 400-450w from a good brand like Antec (not their basiq series), Corsair, PC Power & Cooling or SeaSonic will do.

You'll want to grab another 2GB of RAM as well. You won't be able to see all of it because you're using a 32bit OS, but you'll be able to use it if/when you upgrade to 64bit. If you don't want to waste any money, at least bump up to 3GB.

I believe your motherboard is LGA775. If so, you can upgrade your processor to something like an E5200 or E5300 and overclock it. From what I've read, they can usually hit ~3GHz on air with the stock cooler. But they'll be good processors even if you don't OC.
November 3, 2009 4:28:52 PM

do not upgrade to 3 gig of ram, you ram should be installed in increments of 2 so the memory will run in dual channel. an odd amount of ram will cause your mb to fall back to single channel cutting your effective mem bandwidth in halve
Related resources
November 3, 2009 4:46:04 PM

And if you do decided to go with 4 GB of RAM (even though only 3.25 GB will be utilized by your 32 bit OS), remember that it's highly unlikely that RAM will work in your next build... so whatever you spend on that 2GB will be a sunk cost. I like the idea of a PSU and a video card upgrade... at least those would care over to your next build if that should come in the near future. The memory? DDR-2 prices are up and virtually no new processors support that.
November 3, 2009 4:48:19 PM

505090 said:
do not upgrade to 3 gig of ram, you ram should be installed in increments of 2 so the memory will run in dual channel. an odd amount of ram will cause your mb to fall back to single channel cutting your effective mem bandwidth in halve

2x1gb + 2x512mb = dual channel compatible. If you can i suggest overclocking that e2160, i got mine to 3.0Ghz with a BSEL mod and stock cooler.
November 3, 2009 4:53:53 PM

tenaciousleydead said:
2x1gb + 2x512mb = dual channel compatible. If you can i suggest overclocking that e2160, i got mine to 3.0Ghz with a BSEL mod and stock cooler.

true but now your trying to overclock with mismatched ram, not a good solution either
November 3, 2009 5:07:11 PM

makes no difference, there's always a difference in the quality of components, even matched ones. currently i have 2x1gb g.skill ddr2 800 and 2x512mb ddr2 667 crucial running at 1000Mhz 2.2v
November 3, 2009 8:50:41 PM

Thanks guys for the reply. Hmmm do you guys know how big is a HD4850 gpu?? like the physical size of it. Cause that thing is huge. And i don't know if it'll fit in my case.
And i'm still struggling with the ram. I think i might just go and buy 2x2gb stick and just shove it in. So it goes dual channel.

And for cpu. i think i might go for E5300. For overclocking...i don't do that kind of stuff. Cause my thoughts on over clocking is basically taking brand new car and custom mode it and take it out for racing.......and in the end the car gets over worked and everything. Plus i have no idea how to over-clock it. And i were to OC it...i would get a professional to do it.
a b 4 Gaming
November 3, 2009 9:18:57 PM

The 4850 is about 9.5" long, what case do you have? As for overclocking, if you picked out some of your own parts and/or built your own computer then overclocking will be a cinch, and I disagree with your statement about it overworking the processor.
November 3, 2009 11:49:02 PM

ditto, a car is a huge investment. A 75$ processor is nearly disposable in comparison, it really depends if you want to keep the same CPU for over 7-10 years
!