Sign in with
Your question

Need help with BIOS settings for memory problems on MSI 790fx-gd70

Last response: in Motherboards
May 2, 2010 12:46:22 PM

I have been getting memory related problems on a 6 month old system. I could only boot from one stick of RAM (Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A) but even then system was not stable for gameplay or stability test though this stick did pass overnight memtest. I returned the board, cpu and memory for them to test. They diagnosed faulty RAM and replaced. Well it worked OK for 24 hours then I started getting BSOD "PFN_List_Corrupt" and "Memory_Management" crashes.

I tested the new sticks and one fails memtest after a few seconds with 2378 errors and the other, although it passes memtest with 20 passes, crashes out straight away on Prime95 Blend Test (i.e. the one that stresses RAM).

They suggested I enter DDR Voltage manually rather than relying on Auto but no matter what I seem to enable this option is greyed out. Does anyone know which settings need changing from defaults so I can get at the voltage section?

I have tried swapping around the dimms but they are all the same regardless so not a slot problem. Now of course, I don't see it as a RAM problem either unless I am the unluckiest person to keep getting bad sticks. So now I think maybe something on the board or CPU is causing damage to the RAM or at least causing it to mis-report. Could a fault in the memory controller be doing this and if so how can I test for this?

At my wit's end here. Hope someone has some ideas - either on how to access DDR Voltage in the BIOS or get to the cause of my problem.

Many thanks.
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2010 1:21:35 PM

There is no special setting to configure to access RAM voltage setting. In my experience ( I have MSI 790FX-GD70 myself ) the DRAM voltage setting is always available for changing in the "CELL" menu.
May 2, 2010 1:52:31 PM

randomkid said:
There is no special setting to configure to access RAM voltage setting. In my experience ( I have MSI 790FX-GD70 myself ) the DRAM voltage setting is always available for changing in the "CELL" menu.

Hi Randomkid. Yes, the setting DDR Voltage is there in the Cell Menu and there are help instructions in the right column. But the setting says "Auto" and it is greyed out and does nothing when clicked :(  .
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2010 12:10:34 AM

Sorry.. yes, you can not click it. You have to press "+" or "-" to adjust it. Same with other parameters.
May 3, 2010 8:18:52 AM

Sorry, I feel really stupid now. It's just I was expecting a submenu duh. It even tells you what to do on the right.

Oh well I enetered the 1.5v manually but it is still playing up.

Any more ideas on what I could try?
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2010 5:41:29 PM

Have you tried "Loading safe defaults"? Also what is your BIOS version?
May 3, 2010 5:48:30 PM

Yes, tried both safe defaults and optimum defaults and now have entered memory timings and voltage by hand. Makes no difference. Have tried all the BIOSs from 1.6 to current (1.10). Bit of an odd thing happened when I entered RAM details manually: CPU temps fell by 5 degrees! Can't think why this might be! I'm going to try a 650w PSU tomorrow but can't help feeling I'm clutching at straws here.
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2010 6:13:19 PM

It is odd. I got a Gskill Ripjaw running at 1600Mhz and never have any problem. Have you tried other memory sticks? At this point I would think that it is more likely the board...
May 3, 2010 7:31:36 PM

Well yes. As I said this is the second set of brand new RAM - which is what makes me suspect something else :)  Just wish there was a test I could say OK it's the board, it's the RAM, it's the CPU. Grrrrr.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2010 7:05:40 PM

hi bro

i can give u master unlock code to perform full unlock

for ur pc no need to disconnect or do any hardware on it

just send to me

hm_besoooo@hotmail.com
!