Pentium dual core or athlon 64

hi, should i stay with my amd athlon 64 3200+ or get an intel pentium dual core e5300? money is not an issue.
here are the sites for more info (if needed)
amd: http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=116&f1=AMD+Athlon%E2%84%A2&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=False&f11=False&f12=
intel: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35300
thanks in advance
26 answers Last reply
More about pentium dual core athlon
  1. depends what you are doing with it, and what the rest of the system is.
  2. IMO you will not notice a dramatic difference between the 2 systems but ^ is right, what do you plan on doing with the system itself?
  3. its a hp pavillion a1619.uk 512mb ram and a pailt radeon hd4650 512mb in the pci express slot.
  4. werxen said:
    IMO you will not notice a dramatic difference between the 2 systems but ^ is right, what do you plan on doing with the system itself?

    im planning to keep the rest of it unmodified. maybe a new cooling fan.
  5. By the time you factor in that you'll have to replace the CPU, motherboards and RAM, and possibly case/PSU (I don't know how standard the pavillion is), surely it would make sense to look at other options.
  6. so, how would you obtain the E5300, is it in the form of a computer that is already built or is it just the CPU and you will need to upgrade the motherboard & RAM?

    The E5300 is far superior to the 3200+ as the 3200+ is a single core that was better than the Pentium 4 but no where near as good as the E5300.
  7. I have an e5300 which i upgraded from a Pentium 4 about 6 months ago, and the difference is incredible.

    HOWEVER - like 13thmonkey and Devastator_uk say, if ure going to buy a new CPU, Motherboard, and more ram, its definitely the wrong thing to do.

    Get the Quad-core Core i5-750 CPU, with a new motherboard and DDR3 RAM.
    Btw, it easily OC's to 3.8 Ghz and more.

    Or the core i5-530 dual core - just released, a world beyond the E5300, WORLDS beyond what you currently have.
    Btw, easily OC's to 4.2 Ghz and above.
  8. The difference is pretty big, even if all you're doing is using it for word and surfing the web. Of course, to go with the e5300 you will need a new motherboard and RAM. Socket 939 boards, like the one you have for your 3200+ only use DDR, not DDR2 or DDR3
  9. i might as well just upgrade the ram and motherboard.
  10. jonpaul37 said:
    so, how would you obtain the E5300, is it in the form of a computer that is already built or is it just the CPU

    im getting it from tigerdirect.com or as its called here in the uk, misco.co.uk. i found a cheap one. :D
  11. could i use an emachines e4076 motherboard with it. it had a pentium 4 3.06ghz ht processor in it.
  12. Just make sure it comes with a decent motherboard to overclock and/or upgrade your CPU latter on.l
  13. huze5 said:
    could i use an emachines e4076 motherboard with it. it had a pentium 4 3.06ghz ht processor in it.


    It is possible that it can hold the E5300, it may need a BIOS update but it is not listed on the official website (listed below) may want to research it a little...

    Motherboard for EMachines e4076

    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d102ggc2/sb/cs-026580.htm
  14. jonpaul37 said:
    It is possible that it can hold the E5300, it may need a BIOS update but it is not listed on the official website (listed below) may want to research it a little...

    Motherboard for EMachines e4076

    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d102ggc2/sb/cs-026580.htm

    thnx. im a bit new to this whole computer modding so what would i search in google. yeah, i know i sound like a noob.
  15. never mind about the search thing. found it. :D
    but how do you update a bios without a floppy disk? they all say "insert floppy disk". i haven't got a floppy drive :S
  16. something along the lines of "CPU support for Intel Desktop Board D102GGC2"

    or "E5300 with Intel Desktop Board D102GGC2"

    or "Intel D102GGC2 motherboard compatible with E5300?"
  17. that is something that is different with different motherboard vendors, some let you do it online, others you have to tread through the mud and use floppy drives and such, see if you can google "upgrading BIOS for Intel
    D102GGC2 motherboard" and see if anything comes up aside from the floppy solution...
  18. jonpaul37 said:
    that is something that is different with different motherboard vendors, some let you do it online, others you have to tread through the mud and use floppy drives and such, see if you can google "upgrading BIOS for Intel
    D102GGC2 motherboard" and see if anything comes up aside from the floppy solution...

    thnx mate. ill look into it more tomorrow, right now im too tired. :D ur a great help.
  19. no sweat bro, hope all works out... if you can use the eMachines PC and toss in the E5300, it'll be a pleasant upgrade, nothing monumental, but pleasant none-the-less.

    What will you be using the PC for anyway?
  20. I got a e5200 and im playing all new games just fine. Photoshop just fine. Its a decent CPU. Also a CRAZY overclocker (:
  21. jonpaul37 said:
    no sweat bro, hope all works out... if you can use the eMachines PC and toss in the E5300, it'll be a pleasant upgrade, nothing monumental, but pleasant none-the-less.

    What will you be using the PC for anyway?

    mostly gaming.
  22. cool, that eMachines motherboard has a PCI-E slot so you'll be able to use a half-way decent video card.

    Do you have a video card already?
  23. jonpaul37 said:
    cool, that eMachines motherboard has a PCI-E slot so you'll be able to use a half-way decent video card.

    Do you have a video card already?

    pailt radeon hd4650 512mb. it automatically adjusts its speed.
  24. That card should serve you well and likely fit into the motherboard/case. If you decide you want to get another video card in the future, make sure that it will fit into the case and that you have a power supply that supports it.
  25. jonpaul37 said:
    That card should serve you well and likely fit into the motherboard/case. If you decide you want to get another video card in the future, make sure that it will fit into the case and that you have a power supply that supports it.

    i've tried it in my emachines coz that was my old computer
  26. good to go, you should be all set. Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium AMD Dual Core