The best tool and way to cut a hole in Lian Li aluminum top panel?

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
yeah i need to install some serious mods on my PC-7FW case. Lian Li makes really awesome cases, this one is great and all, but southern california is hot, really hot, its gettin cooler but it will get hot again soon.. want to install a huge exhaust, may mod the side or bottom, even a make shift pci-slot exhaust fan.

Dremel? I've read about a Jigsaw used to cut through computer case aluminum. any ideas? experiences?

Solution
from the perspective of never using a dremel:
best to mark out hole in pencil or something you can see, mark a starter hole just inside the main hole
drill the starter hole and use a jigsaw, traditional way like that is all I know......
the cut will be rough so you will need a file or perhaps the dremel to smooth it over!

Umagalis

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
from the perspective of never using a dremel:
best to mark out hole in pencil or something you can see, mark a starter hole just inside the main hole
drill the starter hole and use a jigsaw, traditional way like that is all I know......
the cut will be rough so you will need a file or perhaps the dremel to smooth it over!

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

A dremel tool or holesaw.

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
ahaa... i was wondering if he meant taping the after-product. i'm so glad i checked back in before i thought anymore into this.. i'ma pretty crafty guy not scared to work with stuff, but i would have totally jumped into the top panel with a sharp blade, naked of tape..

believe me guys i'll have pictures sooner than never, hopefully not for comical feedback !