Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4 pin or 8 pin connector

Last response: in Motherboards
May 2, 2010 3:43:31 PM

I had to RMA my motherboard and before I order again I want to make sure I get the right board for my needs. The motherboard I am looking at is this ASUS board. I really like it except for one reason, it only has a 4 pin cpu connector and I want to make sure I wont have any problems suppling my Athlon II x4 620 with consistant power when I start overclocking. My PSU is a 650 watt corsair.

More about : pin pin connector

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2010 12:04:33 AM

Looks like you'll be fine. Tried to find a spec that said a 4-pin power connector was good enough. Best I could find was one thread where someone had it working that way and another that agreed it should be ok.
This guy had some RAM problems but eventually got his Athlon II x4 620 running and he was only use a 4-pin power connector: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264121-30-ud2h-power-...

Plus someone who has the next step up, Athlon II X4 630, and says it only requires a 4-pin: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=259&th...
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2010 12:27:07 AM

4PINs connectors are fine. Some motherboard manufacturer provide 8PINs claiming it can supply more power for overclocking. But I have seen many overclockers achieving better OC than I do using 4PIN montherboards vs. my 8PIN motherboard.

So I guess it still depends on the CPU itself, the skills of the OC'er himself + many other factors. Of course having 8PIN is better than 4PIN to cover all bases but I don't think you have to sacrifice your other preferences just for the sake of it.
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2010 1:59:54 AM

Best answer selected by Poisoner.
m
l
May 3, 2010 2:00:39 AM

thanks guys
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2010 5:02:45 AM

Poisoner said:
I had to RMA my motherboard and before I order again I want to make sure I get the right board for my needs. The motherboard I am looking at is this ASUS board. I really like it except for one reason, it only has a 4 pin cpu connector and I want to make sure I wont have any problems suppling my Athlon II x4 620 with consistant power when I start overclocking. My PSU is a 650 watt corsair.

The 8 pin EPS connector was added to the ATX 2.0 spec for high end desktops to low end servers. It had a lot to do with the fact that the Intel (the author of the ATX spec) at the time had super power hungry chips in the Extreme Edition pentiums.

Its a good Idea to have a 8 pin for heavy power draw but I have seen 250+ watts (which is a lot) drawn off a 4 pin with no problem of consequence.

In your case, overclocking a X4 620 you will be fine. You wont draw enough with that chip to worry about it.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2010 7:58:26 PM

A 4 pin 12v power connector and an 8 pin 12v power connector from the PSU provide the exact 12v power source from that PSU. An 8 pin 12v power connector does not supply more 12v power...like 13v. The extra wires are there to create a better ground, nothing more. On a power supply, every lead is 12v except the 24 pin which supplies any other voltages which may be required by the MB.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2010 7:58:42 PM

milki654 said:
Instead of making a new thread I'll post here:

Can the same be said for this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... if I'm plan to use a 1090t and OC it later to 4.0Ghz. Thanks.

Personally I would prefer something with 8 pin power and heatsinks on the MOSFETS for 4 Ghz overclock as that chip will top 200 watts at 4ghz and 1.5 volts. That said, it is a good board and should hold up just fine.

m
l
!