BSoD 2500K 4.5GHz Overclock

So I recently was able to upgrade my CPU, mobo and RAM. Got the following:

Core i5 2500K
Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
Corsair Vengance 4x4GB 1600

So I started my overclocking venture. Messed with the Auto overclock, would hit 4.3GHz but not stable. BSoD after a short time in Windows as well with IBT.

I then moved to manual mode. First I set the multi to 45 then the VCore to 1.35v with everything else at Auto for voltages apart from RAM at 1.5v. I then proceeded to lower the voltage, check for POST and OS boot. Then I would run 10 passes of Intel Burnin Test at Very High (4GB) and if it passed, I would drop the voltage. I got to 1.28v, at 1.27v IBT would fail within the second or third test. I then ran Prime 95 overnight for about 12 hours and no crashes or errors. So everything seems fine and dandy. Temps are fine, nromally 35-40c idle with Speedstep on and 55-65c under load of Prime 96, around the same when gaming etc.

Well I was just web surfing and then it froze up and got a BSoD, bug check 101 which from what I read is a CPU issue. Upped to 1.29v and went out for a bit and left a game running just to check. Came back just now and same thing. 101. So now I am at 1.30v just to see what happens but I find it strange that both IBT and Prime95 have no issues yet I get a BSoD. I don't want to jump back up to 1.35v but it seems I may have to.

So does it seem like it may just be too low of a VCore or is there something else I can tweak? I currently have all the C states disabled as well as a few others known to cause instability.

Solution
Jimmy, Most of the 2500Ks will run 45x at 1.325v it takes another bump up or 2 if you are running SLI or Crossfire, you're in the ballpark.

There are so many routes to overclocking the 2500K, I took the same as I had used to with AMD overclocking all the cores, there's a guide in my sig check it out. Ryan
Jimmy, Most of the 2500Ks will run 45x at 1.325v it takes another bump up or 2 if you are running SLI or Crossfire, you're in the ballpark.

There are so many routes to overclocking the 2500K, I took the same as I had used to with AMD overclocking all the cores, there's a guide in my sig check it out. Ryan

Solution
Yea I checked out your guide. It just seems strange that Prime95 and IBT pass but I get the BSoD.

I have it at 1.30v and am running Prime95, started at 11PM last night and so far so good but we never know.

I am planning to move to a Corsair H100 once my old QX6850, mobo and RAM sells via my bosses EBay. I am hopping he gets at least $200 after fees and shipping which would be more than enough considering I would only pay $105. Then just add some nice fans for push/pull and I will be much happier.

If you're not supplying enough voltage to the CPU it will not be in a stable area of operation, even though P95 and IBT may run, their stability is an illusion because they do not bring the full system into the picture.

You're better off with the 2500K running a combination of programs like for instance 3DMark Vantage, 3DM06, 3DM11, if you're according to P95 stable but crash in a 3DMark once all the rest of the system is loaded up then you're back to the booting/testing drawing board.

The cooler you can keep it the further you'll get, the H100 will give you more leeway, but the 2500K is a hot little sucker for sure.

I am not trying to sell you on my Cooling Solution but if you'll read the introduction, you'll learn some of what I have already learned the hard way regarding the 2500K.

After checking some reviews, the H100 doesn't look to perform much better if any better than my 9900Max so I might not do it.

I expect you are using offset? Try disabling the C states (C3, C6 and C1E).

I actually have all the C states disabled right now, was thinking of messing with them but I doubt I will.

Did Prime95 for 20 hours at 1.30v and it was fine. Did the same thing I did the past few days, browsed the web and watched some videos and no BSoD. I left it on streaming video and doing a few other things over night and it was still up this morning.

I will try 3DMark when I get a chance but hopefully its stable at 1.30v as temps seem to be pretty decent, 70c was max for the package under Prime95 but it stayed around 65c for the most part.

Just an update, got a chance to test it out with 3DMark. Did 06, Vantage and 11. No crashes/BSoD with them at current settings of 4.5GHz @1.30v.

Seems stable so far.

Just did a few more tests. I left TF2 on one day at 1.29v and it BSoD. Did it the other day and the PC was still on but the game crashed, which I had been having issues with before my change to the 2500K.

Left Skyrim running, idle in a city, all day today and it was still going when I got home.

Looks like 1.30v for 4.5GHz is stable.