790i Ultra Mobo Problem

Framerated

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
My system:

CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
RAM OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333MHz / Platinum Edition (4 x 1Gb sticks)
Mobo XFX 790i Ultra SLI
Graphics Cards 2x GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Power Source 800w BFG power supply
Hard Disks Main: 350Gb SATA Extra: 2x 500Gb SATA striped (1 Tb total)
Running Windows XP Professional

Here's the problem:

A few days ago, my computer was running fine. I started up Left 4 Dead 2 and the files said they were syncing (stupid Steam). Suddenly I get a blue screen and the whole system shuts off. I check connections inside the computer, everything is fine, and I reboot. No problems on start up and I run the system for an hour then shut it down. The next day the computer will not boot.

Now when I turn the system on I get a POST code of FF and the CPU hot light is on. I surfed the forums, asked some friends, took out the RAM one by one and tested each stick, tried a different power source, tried using one graphics card at a time, nothing worked. I tried the EVGA suggestions of loose BIOS chip, taking out the battery for a time, checking the 8-pin power connector, and noting worked. All signs seem to point to bad mobo.

That mobo was an EVGA 790i, so I get the exact same kind only this one is XFX. I replace the mobo and reseat the CPU (cleaned out the pasted, put new on). On start up, it goes as far as POST code 25 (Shadow system/video BIOS) and stays there for 5 minutes. I kill the power, start it up again and get the same result. I turn off the power, check connections, turn it back on, now I get the same problem: FF POST code and CPU hot light.

Is my processor fried? I don't overclock. Is it bad RAM, or is there just a serious problem with this series of mobos?

Please help! :cry:

Sm1th

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009