Sign in with
Your question

Help Me Setup Intel Smart Response Technology P8Z68-V Pro

Last response: in Storage
September 24, 2011 5:33:28 PM

Hey guys I use a 600 gb hdd and a 40 gb ssd. I upgraded to a new z68 board and I want to take advantage of my 40gb ssd using the Intel smart response technology.

The manual doesn't help with this and I am confused, I was told I have to create a raid with the 2 drives together, then install windows. I am at the raid setup window and I am assuming I am setting it up as raid 0.

It wants a capacity size of the raid? Uhhhh... I have no idea what size the raid should be, the screen shows my 2 drives and the manual says it can use up to 64gb of the ssd and its only a 40?

I am super extremely confused can I get some pros to help me out!

a c 130 å Intel
a c 119 G Storage
September 24, 2011 5:47:05 PM

Who told you that you had to set up a raid to use Smart Response ? The SSD you have would be used for the Smart Response and the HDD will be used for the OS.
m
l
a c 130 å Intel
a c 119 G Storage
September 24, 2011 5:57:17 PM

Intel Smart Response Technology was made for SSD'S that are 20-40 gb in size and you would only use the SSD you have for that and everything else would be on the HDD . If you had a larger SSD , say 120 to 240 gb then you would partition the SSD into two partitions , a 30gb and then the rest depending on the size and use the 30 gb for the Smart Response and the other partition for your OS. and then your HDD for storage.
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2011 6:04:28 PM

The only way to get the asus way of the intel smart response technology is to raid them together. I installed the software in windows after I left them unraided, and the option to accelerate the drive was not there.
m
l
a b å Intel
a b G Storage
September 24, 2011 7:28:43 PM

You need to be in raid mode but not in raid. Then in windows, use the isrt program to set it up.
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:53:10 AM

ArchAngelAlien said:
Hey guys I use a 600 gb hdd and a 40 gb ssd. I upgraded to a new z68 board and I want to take advantage of my 40gb ssd using the Intel smart response technology.

The manual doesn't help with this and I am confused, I was told I have to create a raid with the 2 drives together, then install windows. I am at the raid setup window and I am assuming I am setting it up as raid 0.

It wants a capacity size of the raid? Uhhhh... I have no idea what size the raid should be, the screen shows my 2 drives and the manual says it can use up to 64gb of the ssd and its only a 40?

I am super extremely confused can I get some pros to help me out!

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4738/gedc0345a.jpg

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problem. Do you change your system to RAID before of after you have your OS installed on the HDD? The first time I did this, I made it so it was set to RAID before OS was installed, and after installation, I only have 111gb free. I have a 60gb SSD and a 1TB HDD. Not only that, but once I installed the Intel Smart Response software, I wasn't able to do what it says in the manual.

Then after doing it all over, I set it to normal config, tried changing it to RAID after OS was installed, and got the BSOD. No idea how to do this, and everyones instructions pretty much suck.
m
l
a b å Intel
a b G Storage
November 1, 2011 1:41:40 AM

1. Have only the hdd plugged in, set sata mode to raid but the hdd should be in non-raid status.

2. Install os.

3. Shut down and plug in ssd.

4. Install all drivers (which includes the srt driver+program). You will probably have to reboot.

5. Open IRST program. Choose “Accelerate”, and click “Enable acceleration” Defaults should be fine but you can change anything if you want. Click OK.

6. Enjoy.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 523 G Storage
November 1, 2011 1:50:12 AM

JohnPound said:
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problem. Do you change your system to RAID before of after you have your OS installed on the HDD? The first time I did this, I made it so it was set to RAID before OS was installed, and after installation, I only have 111gb free. I have a 60gb SSD and a 1TB HDD. Not only that, but once I installed the Intel Smart Response software, I wasn't able to do what it says in the manual.

Then after doing it all over, I set it to normal config, tried changing it to RAID after OS was installed, and got the BSOD. No idea how to do this, and everyones instructions pretty much suck.

You do not create a RAID array. The port that your HDD is connected to must be in RAID mode before you install Windows.
After Windows installation you then install the Intel SRT software. Then reboot and connect your SSD. You can then run the SRT software to select the SSD as your cache drive.

Here's a link to the user guide: http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/intel_sma...
m
l
!