Is Cooler master Hyper 212 evo sufficient for i5 2500k at 4.3GhZ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hi
I am using i5 2500k @ 4.3 ghz+Asus p8p67 pro+4gb XMS3. :)
For the summers,I am planning to keep my cpu cool by using an aftermarket HSF.
So I a considering Cooler master Hyper Evo 212.Will this be sufficient considering I live in a hot place where temperature is likely to peak around 41 C (105 F)in the month of May and June. :eek:

Any recommendations??

Solution
Go for v6gt its cheap and works good
I live in india whre temps during summer is around 35C and my c2q q6600 @3.6ghz does not go more than 70c @full load so i would recommend you CM V6GT
D

Deleted member 217926

I recommend you stop overclocking anything until you get an aftermarket cooler unless you want to buy a new i5 soon.....that's just flat out dangerous.

No air conditioning? With ambient temps that high I might go with something better.

The Scythe Mugen 3 is a step up that is still fairly cheap but you might want to check out a Noctua DH14 or Phanteks TC14 or even a Corsair H100.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

No,I mean that high ambient temperature is in extreme summers..Right now my cpu idles at 35C and at full load it is 55 C max @ 4.3 GHz.
Isn't the CM 212 evo supposed to do the job in summers??

D

Deleted member 217926

Yes but there is only so much below ambient a cooler can get you. The better the cooler the more below ambient your temps will be. If you have no air conditioning at 105 you are going to need a better than decent cooler. It gets that hot here in the summer along with 90% humidity ( middle Georgia ) but once it hits the mid 80s it's time for the AC.

You are at 55C running Prime 95 at 4.3Ghz with stock cooling? :heink:

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

i agree with not overclocking without aftermarket hsf but i personally have a cm212+ which isnt supposed to be as good as the evo and it easily coped with my 2500k @ 4.4 in queensland australia without any air con and it hardly got over 50 -55 degrees celcius under load with ambients up to 35 c. the trick is to keep the volts down to the minimum to hold it stable, if you wanna hit 5ghz then u prob wanna go more exotic

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ambient is air temperature. You can't get below ambient using a fan, not even when the fan is on a radiator.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Yup.but its not that hot these days.I have just upped the multiplier to 42 and it goes 4.3GHz when CPU gets stressed(like running pcsx2).The temp hits from 35 to 55 after half an hour..and cools down to 40 within minutes when pcsx2 is closed.
BTW,after reading your comments,I have lowered it to 4.0 GHz.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah that was a brain damage moment on my part. Sorry about that OP and good catch Crashman. Of course I realize you can't go below ambient with air cooling. I said that exactly backwards. :whistle:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I put that out there mostly for the newbies. I get a little frustrated when someone uses a faulty program to read CPU temperature and reports something that's impossibly low, which of course is a separate but related issue.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

I am using Asus AI Suite II to monitor temps and frequency..I can also post the screenshots..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was just referring to anort3's suggestion. Some people are reporting below-ambient temperatures using incompatible or faulty versions of Asus' software, as well as a few other programs. I'm talking about things like an 18C CPU reading in a 21C room.

Your reports sound realistic to me. And these CPU's are allowed to run hotter than most, so I'd be OK with an 80-90C "Full Load" temperature (when overclocking) as long as you're not running full load all the time.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

OK..Is hyper 612 any better than hyper n620???I mean if I can use CM Hyper n620 instead of Hyper 212 Evo??

Hiranmoy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Go for v6gt its cheap and works good
I live in india whre temps during summer is around 35C and my c2q q6600 @3.6ghz does not go more than 70c @full load so i would recommend you CM V6GT

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.