GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 + G.Skill Memory?

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I want to pair my GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 with a set of:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=g.skill-_-20-231-303-_-Product

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231278&cm_re=g.skill-_-20-231-278-_-Product

I'm probably more likely to go with the first choice because of lower timings and latency for only a dollar more. However, I've read in many places that the 790FXTA-UD5 defaults the G.SKills from 1600 to 1333. I've read though that this can be bypassed by simply changing the timing? How would I go about doing this.

Also, I'd appreciate any feedback on my choice of RAM as well. I'd like to utilize DDR3 1600 RAM that would be best for gaming, so if there is a better option out there within the same ballpark and less hassle, please suggest. I've read good things about the G.Skills but haven't had much exposure to any other brands in terms of memory, so your knowledge is valuable to me.

Thanks again.

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Ok, sounds good. But do you know anything about the compatability issues? the G.Skill Ripjaws I've heard were not made for the AMD boards and default the RAM frequencies lower than marked. But there's a way to bypass this and manually change the timings to clock to the 1600 as they are made for. I just don't know how =[

The lower speed isn't problem of the RAM.

The mobo only support 1333 or 1866 with OC, so, when u install 1600 RAM, the mobo set automatically to 1333. For 1600 u only need enter to the BIOS and set all the specs of the RAM manually. Many people are running that RAM with AMD rigs and don't have any problem.

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

I realize that but I feel as if there are many more people who are having trouble with timings. I went over to the G.Skill tech forum and its a nightmare how many different people are having problems with not only Gigabyte boards and Asus boards as well. If it makes it any easier I'd rather just get another brand of RAM without having to deal with this problem. If you have any suggestions of KNOWN compatible RAM I'd greatly appreciate that. This is my second build and I really wanna avoid all the BSOD and cold-boot problems I keep hearing about with some of these G.Skill RAM..I have nowhere near the tech experience to be able to diagnose or fix these problems..I'm lost half the time I'm reading about the problems people are having.

Here the "problem" is that your mobo don't support he 1600 by default, so, with any 1600 RAM u need set the specs manually in the BIOS.

Now, u can go with 1333 RAM and be sure that works fine with your mobo. The difference between both aren't big and u get a RAM that works much better with AMD.