Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Whats the best video card for an OLD pc

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2009 5:58:42 PM

i have a 6 year OLD Dell Dimension 2350, that i have been upgrading (as far as its possible to do so with such an old machine)...
maxed out the RAM to 1GB, added a new PSU (500W), and new nVidia GeForce video card (8400GS).
its a pretty decent machine, for what thats worth, it does its job good for what i need, but recently, i've been wanting to try some games that apparently, this old thing doesnt quite have the guts for, so, i want to know what is the best possible video card that is "not" PCIe or AGP since my pc is only capable of using a regular old PCI card.
the nVIdia 8400GS i recently bought, i thought would make a world of difference, and it does indeed in comparison to the onboard chip thing, but i want to know what is the best possible PCI card out there.
btw...i KNOW i need a new pc but thats just not possible at this time, i need to keep this old Dino-Putersaur running for as long as i can.

More about : whats video card

Best solution

a c 177 U Graphics card
November 11, 2009 6:35:48 PM

The problem is not the card but the very limited bandwidth (data transfer speed) of the PCI bus itself which is half the speed of the slowest AGP connection .
The'Egg has some 9500GTs but I'm not sure they'll be much of an upgrade over your current card, I suspect the PCI bus will simply strangle the faster card.
Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news at such a financilally challenging time:( 
Look here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Or you could try hunting around the local classifieds, Craiglist and E-bay for a machine with an AGP slot or replacement box.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2009 7:03:35 PM

honestly your best bet is to just start saving money for a new computer, money spent on an old computer for obsolete tech is just not worth it
m
l
November 12, 2009 1:00:46 AM

thx guys for confirming what i thought was my only option...
wait till when i can get a new pc...
altho i've upgraded what i have as far as it can go, it does suffice for the basics that i need it for at this time...
me trying some games will have to wait.
m
l
Related resources
!