Solved

Whats the best video card for an OLD pc

i have a 6 year OLD Dell Dimension 2350, that i have been upgrading (as far as its possible to do so with such an old machine)...
maxed out the RAM to 1GB, added a new PSU (500W), and new nVidia GeForce video card (8400GS).
its a pretty decent machine, for what thats worth, it does its job good for what i need, but recently, i've been wanting to try some games that apparently, this old thing doesnt quite have the guts for, so, i want to know what is the best possible video card that is "not" PCIe or AGP since my pc is only capable of using a regular old PCI card.
the nVIdia 8400GS i recently bought, i thought would make a world of difference, and it does indeed in comparison to the onboard chip thing, but i want to know what is the best possible PCI card out there.
btw...i KNOW i need a new pc but thats just not possible at this time, i need to keep this old Dino-Putersaur running for as long as i can.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about whats video card
  1. Best answer
    The problem is not the card but the very limited bandwidth (data transfer speed) of the PCI bus itself which is half the speed of the slowest AGP connection .
    The'Egg has some 9500GTs but I'm not sure they'll be much of an upgrade over your current card, I suspect the PCI bus will simply strangle the faster card.
    Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news at such a financilally challenging time:(
    Look here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609642%20106792522%201067942535&name=GeForce%209500%20GT

Or you could try hunting around the local classifieds, Craiglist and E-bay for a machine with an AGP slot or replacement box.
  2. honestly your best bet is to just start saving money for a new computer, money spent on an old computer for obsolete tech is just not worth it
  3. thx guys for confirming what i thought was my only option...
    wait till when i can get a new pc...
    altho i've upgraded what i have as far as it can go, it does suffice for the basics that i need it for at this time...
    me trying some games will have to wait.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product