Build a gaming pc 2010

I want to build a super gaming computer and need help. I've become a little confused on matching all the components together. I have a fair (just fair) amount of computer knowledge, but know there are those of you out there who know much more than I do.

I have a budget. I'm able to spend $3000 to $3500. Maybe a bit more if it really adds to the system.

Here are some of my thoughts about this. Do I want AMD or Intel? Intel I think unless talked out of it. Should I go with a HDD or the new SSD? I'm thinking SSD. Should I go with DDR2 or DDR3? I've read that DDR3 isn't the standard yet but if you're building a new system you should consider it for future upgrades. I'd like multiple video cards (3 I think) in either SLI or Crossfire. I lean towards SLI. I was considering water cooling but wonder about maintenance on such a system. Will air be sufficient to cool the system? I know I'll need a super power supply and a case to stuff it all in.

I want a fast system and am thinking of playing around with overclocking everything. It looks like I've finally found a hobby!

Any help on this is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jack
3 answers Last reply
More about build gaming 2010
  1. TinCan said:

Do I want AMD or Intel?

Intel

Should I go with a HDD or the new SSD?

Small SSD for OS and games, HDD for everything else

Should I go with DDR2 or DDR3?

DDR3

I'd like multiple video cards (3 I think) in either SLI or Crossfire.

You won't get that much of a performance gain by adding a 3rd card, 2 would be the sweet spot.

As for specific components, come back like a week before you buy. There's no point picking out components now as a lot of things will change by then.
  2. assuming you are building this in january 2010, look through reviews on parts, stay on top of new tech that comes out

and when it is closer (like 2 weeks before purchase), then ask us what are opinions about parts are, between now and then, anything could happen
  3. Thank you all for your replies. I'll read the suggested stickes and post again.

Thanks again
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems