Sign in with
Your question

Build a gaming pc 2010

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2009 8:48:25 PM

I want to build a super gaming computer and need help. I've become a little confused on matching all the components together. I have a fair (just fair) amount of computer knowledge, but know there are those of you out there who know much more than I do.

I have a budget. I'm able to spend $3000 to $3500. Maybe a bit more if it really adds to the system.

Here are some of my thoughts about this. Do I want AMD or Intel? Intel I think unless talked out of it. Should I go with a HDD or the new SSD? I'm thinking SSD. Should I go with DDR2 or DDR3? I've read that DDR3 isn't the standard yet but if you're building a new system you should consider it for future upgrades. I'd like multiple video cards (3 I think) in either SLI or Crossfire. I lean towards SLI. I was considering water cooling but wonder about maintenance on such a system. Will air be sufficient to cool the system? I know I'll need a super power supply and a case to stuff it all in.

I want a fast system and am thinking of playing around with overclocking everything. It looks like I've finally found a hobby!

Any help on this is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jack

More about : build gaming 2010

November 3, 2009 9:05:00 PM

TinCan said:

Do I want AMD or Intel?

Intel

Should I go with a HDD or the new SSD?

Small SSD for OS and games, HDD for everything else

Should I go with DDR2 or DDR3?

DDR3

I'd like multiple video cards (3 I think) in either SLI or Crossfire.

You won't get that much of a performance gain by adding a 3rd card, 2 would be the sweet spot.

As for specific components, come back like a week before you buy. There's no point picking out components now as a lot of things will change by then.
m
l
November 4, 2009 12:03:39 AM

assuming you are building this in january 2010, look through reviews on parts, stay on top of new tech that comes out

and when it is closer (like 2 weeks before purchase), then ask us what are opinions about parts are, between now and then, anything could happen
m
l
November 4, 2009 12:51:25 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I'll read the suggested stickes and post again.

Thanks again
m
l
!