Asgrim

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Odd problem here.

I just acquired a nice new computer. Asus M4A78LT-M LE AM3 DDR3 motherboard and an AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Processor are the integral components.

Here's the thing, I had activated all 4 cores and did some balancing to check if it was usable; which it was not. So I disabled the extra cores, and it's perfectly stable. Which is fine with me, I don't need all 4.

But here's where it gets weird. I downloaded Speedfan and CoreTemp to help with some overclocking on the two chips, but before I could get started I noticed the idle temp was a little high (42-46c). I put some load on the cores, and BAM! Up to 100c the temperature readings went. Any load (even only on one core) above 65% will do this, time and time again. Now, I don't get any warnings, the computer isn't shutting down, the Mobo temp is still at 32c and my GPU is still around that as well. The case is not hot to touch, and I'm not experiencing any slowing down or bottle necking...

I know most of the temperature programs out there aren't perfect, and definitely not compatible with every chip, but what's going on here? Is my CPU really overheating, or is this a faulty read?

If it's not a faulty read, how do I proceed? I'd like to note that the BIOS on my board comes completely unlocked, so I can change absolutely everything if necessary.

Oh, and besides the CPU fan and the normal case fan (both of which are working fine) I have two more fans in a very good sized case, so it's not a fan or airflow issue.

Appreciate any help!

mi1ez

Splendid
check temps in the BIOS, if they're high there, check if there's a newer BIOS available.

latest versions of coretemp/speedfan

check on the forums for speedfan/coretemp and see if there are others with problems.

can you configure either of these specifically for your chip?

Asgrim

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Bios is up to date, I'm using the newest version of both programs (just downloaded them, new computer, remember? :p) and there's nothing on Coretemps Forum about it and if Speedfan has a forum I can't find it.

Though, both programs are supposed to be compatible and cover my chipset, so I don't think any further tinkering would be required, minus a bug problem.

My BIOS has the idling CPU temperature at 89c, and even as I write this the temperature with Windows running is apparently locked at 100c. Mind you again, everything is running fine, both my resource monitors show no problem, and my case is cool...

Yup, just pulled off the side of the case. No heat being generated.. well, if obviously there is, but if it was in excess of 80c it should be rip-roaringly blistering inside, and it's not. And all fans are running correctly!

So why is everything telling me my processor is about to explode when the physical evidence is clearly telling me otherwise? I really don't want to ignore this, for fear it really is running at 100c!

Even though I had it running for several hours straight and it was fine...

Asgrim

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
It's staying between 50c and 100c at the moment... any more advice? Considering that there's no actual heat near the processor and motherboard, my opinion so far is that I should disregard and ignore.

But I figure maybe someone else could come up with something I hadn't thought of.

*waits*

Well from what im reading, Sounds like to me that the Heat sink fan (HSF) was not installed properly or there's a faulty sensor (which can happen)

Although my bets are on HSF was not installed properly.

What i recommend,

First buy some arctic sliver 5 (AS5) thermal compound.

Second, scene in your first post you mention about doing some overclocking. i would recommend getting an aftermarket HSF.

third, take off the Current HSF and clean the Cpu of the old thermal compound.

Forth, follow the directions on applying the AS5.

Then place the new HSF on the cpu.

That should solve the problem if it was error of installing the current HSF. if it doesn't then, i can only guess the sensor.