bgaviator1

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hello,
I am in the process of building an HTPC that will not only be used for playing music and movies, but will also be a gaming rig as well. I am getting really confused though as to the best way to go about controlling a system like this. I assume since it will be a gaming PC as well, that I should have a wireless keyboard and mouse of some kind? But should I also in addition get a good universal remote like the Harmony One so that it can control the other components like the receiver and television? Any setup ideas would be appreciated.

dannymac63

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I'm in the same boat right now. As it will be a gaming rig, and capable of pushing quality graphics at a high resolution (2x AMD 5870's if I can find another), I too feel a wireless keyboard and mouse is essential. My sticking point comes to control for media center activities.

I have a WD TV HDMI media player as well which may as well be useless unless my fiance is utilizing the computer for another media activity with the regular monitor. Anyone feel like trading a WDTV for a decent universal remote? :)

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Most higher end receivers and preamps come with a universal remote these days...for control of the media function on the PC I would just get a good media center remote since they are so cheap. You can find them on ebay for under $5 shipped. Depending on how far away you sit there are a lot of great wireless options for the kb/mouse. I wouldn't worry about getting a universal remote beyond what you already have, and I for sure wouldn't spend $100 or more on one, unless that is what it takes to keep peace with your spouse.