SECONDARY HDD SHOWING BUT CAN'T B ACCESSED

kenshins

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hey guys , my problem is i'm having 2 hdd installed on my windows 7 .
The primary one works fine but not the 2nd one.
And i want to keep the files/data on my 2nd hdd .
I followed the instructions by Paperdoc on some other thread and now my secondary hdd is showing in windows.
But i still can't access it .
Whenever i try to open it ,it says format drive before you could enter.
The problem is , i have important datas in it and i don't wanna delete anything in it.
Any ways to access the files in that hdd without touching anything in it ?
Cheers.

Solution
I have not done this, so I cannot tell you details. But I know that, when Disk Management shows the file System as RAW, what it really means is that some piece of data in the Partition Table is corrupted and Windows can't make sense of it. So it cannot access the HDD, and recommends a Format to start clean and fresh. Do NOT format it! All your data are still on the HDD.

Search the net for instructions on how to recover data from a RAW disk. (In fact, start by searching here at Tom's, because I've seen many threads about this in the past.) You may need to make a backup copy somehow (perhaps by making a clone copy?) to another HDD to make sure you don't lose everything. But I know people have successfully recovered all of the data from a...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You say it is "showing in Windows". Where? In My Computer? In Disk Management, Upper or Lower Right pane? What exactly does it say?

Can you post a link to the thread you referenced? That might help me understand what you have done so far.

You are right not to Format now. Post answers to above, and we can guide you to what to look at next.

kenshins

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah , its showing in both MY Computer & Disk Management .
It shows the HDD is active but states "RAW" .
And sorry i can't seem to b able to find the thread which i saw your reply.
So is it possible for me to retract/copy some files off that HDD ?
Thanks in adv.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have not done this, so I cannot tell you details. But I know that, when Disk Management shows the file System as RAW, what it really means is that some piece of data in the Partition Table is corrupted and Windows can't make sense of it. So it cannot access the HDD, and recommends a Format to start clean and fresh. Do NOT format it! All your data are still on the HDD.

Search the net for instructions on how to recover data from a RAW disk. (In fact, start by searching here at Tom's, because I've seen many threads about this in the past.) You may need to make a backup copy somehow (perhaps by making a clone copy?) to another HDD to make sure you don't lose everything. But I know people have successfully recovered all of the data from a RAW HDD. It just needs to be done right, so get clear instructions and follow them. Good luck!

Solution

kenshins

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Thanks for the reply . I finally succeeded in retrieving all my data from that corrupted HDD.
And the program's name is EASEUS . It's easy to use & works wonders !
Thanks again Paperdoc & triple cheers to this site !